Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

A possibly unusual Onan repower — anyone done this?

onan

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • Member No: 83648
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 06:46 PM

So I have this cousin who's really into government surplus auctions. I mean REALLY into them, to the point that he's got a little side business going selling off the stuff he wins at auction. (The last time I saw him he told me that he'd make me a deal on a half-dozen of those big military multi-purpose portable tent/carport things. I politely declined the offer.)

Anyhow....he says he's recently been seeing a lot of NOS Onan engines, still in the crates, and one of the model numbers he gave me was CCKM-MS/2050G. I googled the number and found some generalized information about that series of Onans, plus a few pictures, but little else about that specific model. (I did manage to figure out that it has a 1-1/2" shaft.) 

I also did a search in this forum to see if anyone had done an Onan CCK series repower but didn't find anything.

I'm intrigued because he says the things typically don't bring a lot of money - probably mostly scrap value. Being able to get a high quality NOS engine on the cheap that I could shoehorn into one of my tractors is intriguing, to put it mildly. If, of course, it can be done.

Anyone know if a Bolens has been repowered with an Onan CCK motor?

Edited by GrantC, August 06, 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 06:59 PM

Not trying to be a downer but being so large you'll have to flip the engine and probably really heavily hack the tractor to get it in there. I'm talking about a Tubeframe in this case

#3 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Compare the dimensions of a Kohler K-series twin to that Onan. You might be able to repower a Large Frame with that Onan, although I don't know that for a fact.

Edited by LPBolens, August 06, 2016 - 07:52 PM.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Hey Grant, how much is he asking for them? Lots of uses for new Onans in my area!!

• TheFarm2004 said thank you

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 08:04 PM

tried a briggs two cyl in my bolens 1050 but it was simply to big to fit without major hacking, have to get better info and specs to be sure. 

Pete

• GrantC said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 08:25 PM

A CCKM can be 12 horse up to 18 hp. You got the shaft size right, military spec 2050 should be 3" long. Recoil start, I think.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 07:56 PM

Hey Grant, how much is he asking for them? Lots of uses for new Onans in my area!!

He's never bought any; he's just seen them on the auction lists and wondered if I knew anything about them. I think he said that they usually get sold (by the pallet load) for $100 or so. I'll tell him to keep me in the loop if he sees any more.

#8 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 07:57 PM

tried a briggs two cyl in my bolens 1050 but it was simply to big to fit without major hacking, have to get better info and specs to be sure. 

Pete

Yeah, after looking at the specs I think they're way too big. Neat motor, though.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 09:42 PM

I'll take 4 at $100 each!

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 10:12 PM

Those should fit in the Sears GT stuff?
Heck, the shaft could even be turned and a new key at that investment Mark.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 10:27 PM

Found this info

CCK 12.9 HP @ 2700 RPM 5.5 to 1 Compression ratio

CCKA 16.5 HP @ 3600 RPM 7.0 to 1 Compression ratio

CCKB 20 HP @ 3900 RPM 7.0 to 1 Compression ratio

Although the CCKB was good for 3900 RPM the lifespan was a bit less than the CCK & CCKA.

CCK & CCKA Non Genset applications had Aluminum rods from spec A-C. Beginning spec D they used forged steel rods with inserts.

CCK gensets as far as I know all used aluminum rods.

CCKB all had the forged steel rods.

I also saw where many did not have port for oil filter. Something to keep in mind.

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 02, 2016 - 01:40 PM

The CCKBs are the predecessor to the B46 and B48 Onan's, and ultimately the Performer Series.  While I think they will fit in GTs that used the B-series engines (like Sears GT18s) the Performer Series doesn't due to position of the starter and oil filter. 

I have a CCKB in a Miller welder.  It runs at 1,800 rpm, which gives them a fantastic service life.  Running them at higher RPMS reduces that reliability although the Onan twins were pretty reliable overall--expensive as heck to overhaul nowadays, though.

Any of the Onan twins MAY fit into a Bolens LF, but may need some "adjustment" to match up to the PTO pulleys and to avoid interference with the cross shaft for the treadle pedal.

Regards,

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: onan