• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 980 Thanks
  • 821 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Hi all, on Thursday went to mow with the 1614 PK just got started and heard a commotion from the deck like it had hit a rock then I noticed no grass coming out of the chute check the PTO it was working and the mule drive belt was going so I shut everything off and checked the deck NO LH blade  walked back and found the blade laying in the grass the spindle shaft had broken off where its welded to the blade mount. So got it into the shop removed the deck and got the other deck I have it has a standard hitch vs the parallel hitch of the original deck I had installed so it was a bit of a learning thing to get it installed and set up and of course the mule drive belts are different so I looked thur the belts I had and found a pretty worn belt and put it on went out to give the new system a test try. Made a couple of rounds and it was mowing really nice and then silence looked no PTO checked and one of the wires had disconnected connected and went on they way didn't go far same thing so instead of checking closer reconnected it again gave it another try same thing no PTO but this time reconnecting the connector did no good. Discovered that the old belt started to unravel and the cord must have wrapped around the ground wire and jerked the spade connector off the wire right close to the clutch its self. Couldn't get to it to do a repair so had to remove the hood and grill to remove the clutch assy  got the wire repaired and everything reassembled to it, went out and mowed for 45 minutes and it all worked good and the refurbished deck is mowing good. Monday its to remove the spindle from the deck and disassemble it to see if it can be repaired.   

Edited by MNGB, August 06, 2016 - 07:38 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Some days are bad, other days are worse.  On the good side it has to get better.  We all have had days like that.

• MNGB said thank you

#3 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 336 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 06:07 PM

If I have one of those days I don't worry about it. It's when it turns into one of those weeks that I get concerned.  Don

• MH81 and MNGB have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 06:24 PM

At least everything was repairable
Good luck on the spindle
  • MNGB said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 08:23 PM

We all have days like that. Best one I can think of is when I got a Springfield out to drive in the snow and put it in the ditchline next to the shop (no damage) got the Case 444 out for the rescue mission and it wouldnt steer at all in the snow. Ended up winching both out with a manual come along. Worst part is I have three electric winches sitting on a shelf.
  • Sawdust and MNGB have said thanks

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 09:24 PM

I bought a new Sears GT 5000 years ago. Ran well and cut real nice. The grass was a little high in front of the shed, so I got real close to the front of the building mowing nice and slow. I figured that I would get that out of the way before mowing the field. We'll as the mower deck got in line with one of the doorways all Hell broke loose. My brother tossed some animal traps into the shed, but one of the chains layed in the grass. We'll in an instant, all of the tangled together traps flew out of the shed and into the mower deck, tearing a hunk out of the bottom of the shed door. The tractor stalled instantly. I can't even explain how loud it was and the sound it made. It took a while to get the tangled metal mess out from around the spindles. I never did finish cutting the grass that day. We all have bad days, I guess.
  • Sawdust and MNGB have said thanks

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 09:31 PM

Hey, that's about my story the last few times I tried to mow. Tried to help the neighbor by mowing his yard. Big nasty stuff that had the Kohler M18 struggling. Now the pto clutch is acting all funny.
  • MNGB said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 11:45 PM

Well, to do all that stuff in one day is big one!  I would have looked at it, got another mower, set broken aside and worked on it SOME Day.  If second one broke, would have parked it too and said we're done for the day.  I take my time fixing things, never the same day they break usually.  I always like to look at it and think about it for awhile and come back later when mind made up to tackle it. 

I was mowing yesterday with big PK, belt broke on deck. middle blade still cutting, sure was a weird cut and didn't know till came around to same area for another run!  Parked it and out came the.......deere, shhhhh!

• MNGB said thank you

#9 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 980 Thanks
  • 821 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 07:46 AM

Hi all, well I've mowed with the second deck a little over 2 hrs and its mowing great this deck runs a little quieter then the original, my friend rebuilt the spindle for me, dropped it off last night it looks new so now its to reassemble the hub and reinstall it on the deck .

• classic said thank you

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 08:28 AM

It's good to hear that you got it fixed. I never mowed with a PK, but I hope to at some point. It's been so hot and humid here for the last week or so, and I just can't spend time in the shed working on my PK. I've got a lot of parts to paint, but it seems to rain once a day making it miserable. A nasty thunder storm came through last night as I was in the shed looking over a starter generator and lightening was striking everywhere. Most of the County lost power, but we didn't. Right now, there is condensation on the windows in the house and it's miserable outside again.
I did manage to go pick up the snow plow for the PK the other day and the guy had a couple of mower decks there. I'm not sure what years they fit, but I may look into them. One is a bit rough, but the other looks ok. What deck spindle bearings are in these decks MNGB?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160729_115929-1.jpg

• MNGB said thank you

#11 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 09:28 AM

I use to be real obsessive about breakdowns. I'd work all day and half the night to fix what broke and finish what I started. Now I just kinda say, oh well, better luck next time.

• MNGB said thank you

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 980 Thanks
  • 821 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hi classic, it been hot and humid here in MN also just a bear working in the shop, I'll look at the bearings and wright down the numbers was going to do that but haven't yet. these are the bearing number I'm pretty sure will double check when I got to the shop

LM11979 & LM11910.

• classic said thank you

#13 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Thanks MNGB. I was hoping that was the bearing and race numbers. Those are very common for deck spindles and front wheel bearings. It's like a rain forest out there again today. I think I'll take a ride to my buddies house and pick up some needed Kohler parts. I do have to pick up gas and put the plow on the Cub to fix the driveway. The heavy rain washed it out good.
  • MNGB said thank you

#14 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 980 Thanks
  • 821 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 10:47 AM

Hi, went into the shop to check on a couple of things and double checked the bearing numbers and those are the numbers the seals are Nationals 203005x

Here's what the rebuilt spindle shaft looks like and all the other parts

HPIM2535.JPG HPIM2536.JPG HPIM2537.JPG

• classic said thank you

#15 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted August 14, 2016 - 10:55 AM

Lookin' good all fixed up! The slightest amount of pitting on mandrel bearings can make a deck howl. Those are the same bearings and races in my Cub 147 mandrels. I took mine apart after I got it, cleaned out the old grease and repacked them. The deck sounds good, but I have to replace the idler pulley soon.
  • MNGB said thank you