15 replies to this topic

#1 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 01:03 PM

I'm looking at two now, one economy and one PK. New to this brand, but I love the look of the machine. I'd like to get a rough idea of what their rough value is without the generic its worth what you're willing to pay answer please. Thank you!

d979e7c3882b4730b3c1c464783991d7.jpg

83f1bff420bf453099a08f3a77a67c54.jpg

^^^ 1970's power king tractor. It has 4 speed independent braking runs drives and also has 3 point hitch wheel weights tire chains and extra set of tires. 

AND

e6dc83bac41f4053b1d9726a5cc38b60.jpg

Ran when parked is what I was told.

Thank you!

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 01:23 PM

Economy has the wrong engine in it

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 01:45 PM

Yeah but it has the second tranny

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 02:06 PM

I'm looking at the Power King and I'm wondering if it really has a three point hitch or just the movable drawbar.  It's a common mistake made by many.  It's hard to tell but I don't think I see the bars hanging down that the three point would connect to.

Critters is correct, the engine in the Economy is definitely not original.  These things were really used.

#5 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 02:29 PM

I suspect the pictures were not taken today, snow around the economy. from my prospective with the available information $200 for the pair.  That is if they were in driving range.  Don

#6 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 02:38 PM

49be70d6f5fc4fc89decadee60e71091.jpg

• David Brown said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 02:45 PM

I suspect the pictures were not taken today, snow around the economy. from my prospective with the available information $200 for the pair.  That is if they were in driving range.  Don

??!!  I have never seen a complete PK in any condition for a hundred dollars. I think your missing a zero.

• Bill 76, petrj6 and secondtry have said thanks

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 02:48 PM

I have been on the lookout for a fair cond pk for awhile now, the first one looks ok maybe the wrong engine??  or a replacement ?? air cleaner is the wrong color otherwise I see $500 there I it were or sale around me.  the second is definitely a bit rougher and most likely the wrong engine, looks like a Jacobsen engine??  again that would sell around here for $500.  the cheapest pk I have seen like those was in new Hampshire about a month ago not running and the same cond as the first tractor you have pictured and it sold for $600 in about 3 minutes.  If I had the cash I would be happy to give $400 each maybe a bit more.

Pete

#9 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 03:40 PM

I've been watching them.
They used to always get listed for $1500 to $2500.
But, these days I see them listed for $1200 to $1500 mostly.
Rarely have I seen them for under $1000.
I think the lowest price I've seen one for is $500. That was the smaller Jim Dandy model and hadn't run in years.
There was one listed completely taken apart for restoration. Possibly missing the engine.
I think they were still asking $700.
As I recall, the engine could be one of several models. Tire size and the extra trans were about the only options.
Perhaps turning brakes?
Missing or broken parts would be my biggest concerns.

Joe

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 04:13 PM

There is no way to put an honest value on these PK'S by looking at a few pics. There could be lots of big problems that will cost a bundle to repair/replace. If water got into the drivetrains, a whole lot of work would most likely be needed to make things right again. Myself, I would go after the one with the 24's on the rear and make a restoration project out of it, and 400-500 would be tops if I was in the market for one. After completely tearing down a couple of these machines, I have a pretty good idea what wears, breaks, or simply needs to be replaced. It's better to spend some more money on a running tractor that may only need some minor repairs if you just want one to use. With project tractors, you never know what you will find until you start taking things apart. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes many parts turn out to be shot. Always go into the purchase of a project tractor expecting the worst.
  • Alc said thank you

#11 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 04:57 PM

??!!  I have never seen a complete PK in any condition for a hundred dollars. I think your missing a zero.

That may be true, from the pictures you can not tell how complete or original the tractors are. The true value may be much more than I would give based on the available information. If as it appears in the pictures the tractors have been parked out in the weather with weeds growing up through the middle. they are at best parts tractors and I guess I'm just not into that. I don't run a junkyard.   Don

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 05:55 PM

The first one with 16" tires is possibly a 1979 model with what looks like a shop made hydraulic system hard to say which Kohler is in it 12 or 14 hp has a single tranny (not a deal breaker for me) but the big question is the trans full of water and rusted or is it clean(that is easily a $300.00 deal alone) I wouldn't go more then $400.00 / maybe $450.00 after looking it over.

The 2nd on is a $200.00 tractor needs an engine (looks like it has a KT17 in it and that's worthless) has a shop built hydraulic system looks like a power steering pump, the tie rod is bent badly and again if the trannys are full of water then its  double the expense to repair  pretty much a parts tractor

• Alc and Rock farmer have said thanks

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 06:34 PM

49be70d6f5fc4fc89decadee60e71091.jpg

Well there you go, three point.

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 09:39 PM

I second what MNGB said in post 12.    Good Luck!! 

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,648 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 10:33 AM

ON any PK tractor, I always plan the tear-down, ispect and replace routine on any I have gotten. SO, have to figure a lower price, as you are gonna put lots more into it before it is what you want it to be. If not willing to do that work, buy a better one.  All have the same things wrong with them, usually locking trans or blown engines it seems. Clutches also are bad.  I like the PK here, good start. To me, IF I had the money, would be around $500 or $600.  Looks like some mods, not sure what that thing is hanging out the side, looks like hydraulics of some sort. Added for sure, not orig systems.   The second one is really changed. Twins were not in them till plastic body ones, and now that metal hood and area is all hacked up, will need replaced. Not sure how the bellhousing would be connected on that engine either, or if totally diff driveline or clutch there??  Another home-made hydraulics system. Love the hoses hanging out in the wind by steering!  If one owner of these, I would offer around $750 at most and go from there. As noted, lots of changes from orig, guess it is WHAT you wish to do with the tractor that counts. Want original all pretty and done, or want a Worker for doing chores?  Restored will be much longer time and money in them, trying to use, is flip of coin on what might be needed.  Myself would look forward to the PK, the EConomy is just kind of a "throw-in" on the deal, not as valuable.

• petrj6 said thank you