Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Well I've Been holding out, but here you go!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 09:48 PM

Hey Everyone, 

At the start of June I stumbled across a Bolens 1000 in CT that I liked a lot! I couldn't bring myself to inquire about it because I didn't know how to justify a 7hr ride to CT for a tractor to my wife!  :wallbanging:  For almost a month I kept checking on it and it was still listed on Craigslist.  So I began to wonder about it and why it didn't sell yet.  It looked decent and was in all original shape. It came with chains, plow blade, and a Bolens dump cart. The price was fair so it was really starting to bug me that it was still for sale!  So towards the end of June Bolens 1000 mentioned a 56' ride a matic for sale on Ebay in CT. He said he would bid if it was closer. So I tried to persuade him to bid and into a trip to CT, but it turns out he is way too patient and is going to wait for the right 56' near home. :poke:  So Bolens 1000 and I got talking about the 1000 in CT and he thought it was a real fair deal also. So due to his peer pressure, I was forced to inquire about it. :D  I inquired about it and got more pictures of the tractor and attachments. I really wanted the tractor, but didn't want an angry wife so I kinda laid low for a few more days hoping to figure something out. Well I was trying to figure out how to get the tractor home, the 56' ride a matic pops up on a facebook post, and the person that started the post was the same gentleman (Barry or bonusbuilt1950)  that bought my 57' super ride a matic from me a few months ago.  He was posting because he was thinking about bidding on the 56' because he really wanted it, and it was close to his house. People helped Barry spend his money on the facebook page and he won the 56' ride a matic.  That was when the light bulb went off in my head :rocker2:  I talked with Barry and I found out the 1000 was about 1hr away from his house. He also said he'd be happy to pick it up for me if need be. Barry was very helpful throughout the whole deal and is a great guy to know and deal with!  So I then contacted the owner, finalized a deal, and Barry went to go grab the 1000 for me and stored it away at his house for a few weeks. My wife and I took a little mini vacation down to CT July 21st-22nd, We spent 1 day at Mystic seaport site seeing, and the next day we picked up the 1000 from Barry. I have to thank Barry again for all his help with the tractor and our trip to CT!  I'm so happy I finally got a Bolens 1000 with the right seat, and a real Bolens dump cart! :dancingbanana:   I have been holding out on posting the tractor because I wanted to clean it up a bit and try to fire it up, but time has been real scarce lately, so I figured I'd post these before pictures and then some after shots when I finally get around to doing some work on it! The 1st group of pictures are from the PO house, then some on Barry's truck, and a few at my house with the cart attached. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1000 top view.jpg
  • 1000 seat.jpg
  • 1000 engine.jpg
  • 1000 generator.jpg
  • 1000 rear.jpg
  • 1000 in Barry's truck.jpg
  • 1000 carb side.jpg
  • 1000 plow.jpg
  • 1000 owners manual.jpg
  • 1000 engine manual.jpg
  • 1000 with cart.jpg
  • 1000 with cart rear.jpg

• Bolens 1000, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 21 others have said thanks

#2 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 09:55 PM

That's nice. I've been looking at one as well. But the wife is not on board yet. I think we all know how that goes.
  • EricFromPa, Delmar, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 10:22 PM

Really Nice 1000.That will clean up really good.Never seen one that complete with the original seat and steering wheel center cap and no cracks in the rear fenders?

Those have the fiberglass rear fenders with the tool box under the seat like the 900 don't they?

• Delmar and chieffan have said thanks

#4 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 10:29 PM

Yep, the rear fender is crack free, I have been working on cleaning the rear fenders and have them shining pretty nice now. I also am going to try to clean a lot of the surface rust off without hopefully damaging the paint. Now I just need an original 900! That is even harder to find than the 1000 I think!

Edited by fonz3482, August 04, 2016 - 10:30 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#5 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 10:39 PM

Try removing the rust with household vinegar and a sponge. The smell is annoying, but it will remove rust without touching the paint.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 10:55 PM

Vinegar and one of those fiber Pot scrubber pads will take most of the rust and leave the paint.Then put couple good heavy coats of semi gloss clear over it and it will look really good.

I put Krylon Semi gloss clear on a couple that had light rust and they turned out awesome.

It was this stuff.They call it crystal clear satin but it's a semi gloss clear.

http://www.walmart.c...7&wl13=&veh=sem

• Delmar, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 12:06 AM

Wow, nice find, fonz! :thumbs:  That is one really neat tractor. It looks well preserved! What a great addition to your collection.

You scored!!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 04:07 AM

Good looking pair. No wonder you kept going back to see if it was still listed.
Sounds like it found a nice home. Hopefully won't be long before you're posting pics of it being driven.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 05:58 AM

Nice Bolens!

Cant believe how good that looks!

No dents or any hack jobs, its lived a great life by the looks of it

• Delmar and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 08:18 AM

Nice Bolens!
Cant believe how good that looks!
No dents or any hack jobs, its lived a great life by the looks of it

Yea, I can't really find any hack work, this one is the only hood in my collection that doesn't have that crack they all get on the front seem, the paper work was still in its original envelopes, the steering is pretty tight, and the plow blade paint is pretty clean also. So I'm guessing it had a good life! Super happy I made the trip to get it!
  • Paulgo said thank you

#11 bonusbuilt1950 OFFLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 95 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 08:24 AM

I'm glad you are happy with the 1000. It looked good in my Shelter Logic too! I have to concentrate on the RAM's instead of bringing home more. I found a 1965 advertisement for the Bolens 1000 in excellent shape. I am going to frame it and hang it up. Hope to hear it's running soon!

Barry

• Bruce Dorsi and Paulgo have said thanks

#12 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,175 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 08:38 AM

I found a 1965 advertisement for the Bolens 1000 in excellent shape. I am going to frame it and hang it up.

Barry

Before you frame it, can you scan it and post it here, please?

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#13 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 09:17 AM

I'm glad you are happy with the 1000. It looked good in my Shelter Logic too! I have to concentrate on the RAM's instead of bringing home more. I found a 1965 advertisement for the Bolens 1000 in excellent shape. I am going to frame it and hang it up. Hope to hear it's running soon!

Barry

Man Barry your holding out on me! I'd like to see that advertisement. In all my collecting years I have not been able to stumble across a sign for sale locally or any brochures or advertisements for the tube frame tractors. I'm probably not looking hard enough, but everything else I've just stumbled across or found on craigslist.

#14 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 02:09 PM

Nice find!! Loving it :thumbs: Good luck!!!

#15 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Geez that tractor looks really nice. I hope you get it all running and can use it.