Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The fix a dead battery thread. Where is it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Where is the thread on the stuff to put into a dead battery to get some more life out of it?

#2 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2175
  • 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:51 PM

This one?

http://gardentractor...ry-repair-4756/
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:51 PM

Try page two of the mechanical forum, 'Battery Repair'.

#4 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:33 PM

That's the one. Thanks.

#5 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:35 AM

As long as you guys are having fun, it's all good. :laughingteeth::laughingteeth:

You can put Epsom Salts into your batteries until Daniels cows come home but you will never, ever truly restore a battery back to year-round usable condition in a four season climate. Once the material that WAS on the plates falls into the gutters at the bottom of the battery, that's where it will stay. That's the material that gives a batter its CAPACITY to crank over a cold engine for an extended period.

If you want to know the TRUTH about the lead/acid battery you have, then you need TWO things. A hydrometer that will read the specific gravity (state of charge) in each cell and a LOAD TESTER that will tell you how long that battery can deliver X amount of amps.

The WORST thing you can do to a lead/acid battery designed to start an internal combustion engine is to let it go dead flat.....EVER. And the longer you leave it in that state, the more damage you do to it that is irreversible. Yes....you can get it to take a charge and yes...it might even hold a charge for a week or so but it will never, ever take a FULL charge like it did when it was new. And therefore, it will never deliver the Cold Cranking Amps that are listed on the label.

Now, if all you want to do is to sell off some piece of equipment that you don't wish to put a new battery into, then the Epsom Salts trick may get that done but if you intend to keep the car/truck/tractor/whatever, then all you are doing is putting off the inevitable.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:49 AM

I did the batteries, 4 of them well over a month now and they are still cranking well....Now, this is the nice weather, so I expect them to last the season....They wouldnt crank or weakly cranked an engine before, We will see if they start an engine next winter......I have my doubts on this, but I would have extended their life by 6 months, so it would be a success in that regard......Thing is too, I work at the NAPA store, so I have an endless supply of old batteries, as long as I replace the ones I take......If I can do the same thing with the next battery and get 6 months from it I will be happy....Yes, I am a cheap b*stard.....lol

#7 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:34 AM

I'm a cheap bastard too and I like to get as much life as I can out of anything. You should see me with a tube of toothpaste. :D

Since you work at NAPA, you should have a hydrometer and load tester at the store. Why not put one of your restored batteries to those tests and see what the results are.

This all comes down to the aggravation factor. As someone who owns heavy trucks and heavy machinery, I have no time or patience with failing batteries but if you have a non-critical piece of equipment and you don't mind changing out batteries, then this may be a way to never have to purchase a new one.

#8 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:36 AM

but if you have a non-critical piece of equipment and you don't mind changing out batteries, then this may be a way to never have to purchase a new one.

That is the way I look at it......I would never do this in my daily driver.

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:50 AM

I'm a cheap bastard too and I like to get as much life as I can out of anything. You should see me with a tube of toothpaste. :D

I can almost guarantee you're not as bad as I am at getting all I can from a tube of toothpaste.Sure I can be wrong,but I would find it hard to believe in this case.:laughingteeth::laughingteeth::laughingteeth::laughingteeth:

#10 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2175
  • 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 09:36 PM

I recently met a guy who has a 11 year old battery in his truck, and says thats the newest one he has. I saw the date code on it so I know its true. I couldnt care less is its restored to new, as long as it works. There are alot of tractors on here that will never come close to new, but work just as well.