• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dugmf12 OFFLINE  

Dugmf12
  • Member No: 57577
  • 72 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 09:21 AM

I want to replace a non OEM throttle cable on a Massey 14 with a used OEM throttle cable.  However I am not able to remove the plastic "T" handle on the cable I want to install.  It seems that needs to be removed to bring handle up through the slot on the dash.  So... does anybody have any tricks or techniques to remove the plastic "T" handle?  I do not want to break it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 10:54 AM

Clamp the metal handle in a vise with the T handle up and about 1/4" between the vise and the handle.  Use a Jiffy Bar putting the metal lever in the slot in the bar and pry up like your pulling a nail.  Works with T handle and round ball type.  No a guarantee it will not break but that is a chance you have to take.

• Dugmf12 said thank you

#3 Dugmf12 OFFLINE  

Dugmf12
  • 72 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Thanks Chieffan, I never thought using a Jiffy bar in the vise.  I will definitely try that.  I suspect that plastic is a little more brittle now than new.  I will let you know how it goes.

• limebuzz and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Dugmf12 OFFLINE  

Dugmf12
  • 72 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 06:44 AM

Well, I got home last and tried out the vice and jiffy bar combo and it worked.  I had to exercise my brain a tad to get the lever mechanism in the vice but once that got figured out, it worked great.  Thanks again Chieffan for the tip.

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

• limebuzz said thank you