18 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:50 PM

This was my brothers last truck and a hoss of a truck. We grew up on a farm and played with heavy duty 4x4s from our teenage year on. We both had several thru the years mostly F250's and F350's.

Over the last couple of decades though we had both gone to more wimpy half tons and light 3/4's that better suited what we needed and what was better on fuel.

A few years ago he and I both had half ton 2wd trucks and went thru the worst winter that we had in years,so in the spring I went out and bought a 89 GMC light 3/4 ton 4x4 and a little late he found the truck pictured here. He knew it didn't really suit his needs and he was a very sensible guy but couldn't pass it up so he bought it. I think it reminded him of his 85 F350 4x4 460 4 speed truck that serious pulling family had bought new to pull with that he bought from them when they were done with it. That 85 was one wild truck. It looked stock and pulled in stock but believe me that truck would have eaten any stock truck.lol

Anyway my brother only had this truck about a year before he suddenly passed away. My brother and I were close and I'm a sentimental guy so I wanted the truck but knew his 15 year son wanted it so I left it alone.

Before my brother passed away the water pump started to drip a little and he decided to change it. He broke a bolt and before he got around to finishing it he passed. So While Jeremiah (my nephew) was at school a shady family member towed it to his house and "worked" on it. Before he was done he cut the motor mounts,removed the trans cross member,pulled the oil pan,and stripped the engine clear to the timing chain. Then the truck sat that way for a year.

Jeremiah started calling and messaging me about a week ago trying to get me to buy the truck. I told him I would love to have it but I couldn't afford it. But he kept on. I told him if he was going to sell it honestly I could sell it for him for more than double what I could give. Nope what I would give would be fine. In the end,him,his sisters and his mom didn't want the truck to go to anyone but me. So This truck has some family history.

It is a hoss as I said earlier. Dana 60 solid front axle,Sterling 10.25 rear axle,4:10 gears with rear limited slip,351W,C6,9,000 pound GVW. The truck sits like the F250 High Boy Fords of old,it really is a cool old rig.

So looks like this is my next big project. Its time to get the old truck back together. Maybe with a few mild mods like swapping to a overdrive trans,maybe go carb,maybe a good RV cam,headers,but I want to retain the bare bones,base  truck,no frills,all business big hoss look.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rich's 88 F350 8 2 2016.jpg 4.jpg
  • Rich's 88 F350 8 2 2016.jpg 3.jpg
  • Rich's 88 F350 8 2 2016.jpg 2.jpg
  • Rich's 88 F350 8 2 2016.jpg
  • Rich's 88 F350 8 2 2016.jpg 5.jpg

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 13 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,219 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:56 PM

It'll be a nice rememberance of your brother.
Maybe even name it after him.
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#3 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,282 Thanks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:08 PM

That is a touching story, and prayers sent to you, and family. May God bless your brother's soul.

As far as the Pickup goes, I would just put it back stock myself. Get the old gal running good, and see that there are no other problems like frozen/bad brakes, or other dissasembled, or missing parts. Once running, driving, and STOPPING, then maybe think about some hop up parts. Who knows what else was done that you may not know about, and quite frankly, you're safety, and, or someone else's while driving maybe more important than a cam, carb, and headers? Good luck with your project, and God bless you! ;)
  • rustyoldjunk and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:23 PM

Definitely a nice truck(I almost bought a '87 f250 instead of the dodge), I'm with Stiemmy on this one, get it road worthy and go from there, safety is far more important.  The only question I have is why did the family member feel the need to take a truck hat wasn't his, I can't even think how your nephew must have felt. 

• rustyoldjunk and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:48 PM

That is a touching story, and prayers sent to you, and family. May God bless your brother's soul.

As far as the Pickup goes, I would just put it back stock myself. Get the old gal running good, and see that there are no other problems like frozen/bad brakes, or other dissasembled, or missing parts. Once running, driving, and STOPPING, then maybe think about some hop up parts. Who knows what else was done that you may not know about, and quite frankly, you're safety, and, or someone else's while driving maybe more important than a cam, carb, and headers? Good luck with your project, and God bless you! ;)

I know it steers and brakes nice still. We towed it home with a buddy's big ole late model 4 door dually long 4x4 diesel on 6 inches of lift (being in that truck is almost like being in the Freightliner tractor that I drive lol). I already have a real good idea whats what on it. I have been thru it already. It will be a fairly big project. I expect it to be a year long or better build. I just touched on the highlights of what I need/want to do with it,this ain't my first rodeo :smilewink:. I have been dragging whats left of trucks out of pastures and putting them back together for over 30 years. As for the overdrive trans,no sense in pulling it twice so it will need to be done the first time around. The carbed setup is to get rid of some of the computer,making it easier to tune and...I hate the injection setup on these engines. I like to be able to change those leaky valve cover gaskets. The exhaust is rotted and the engine is already on my cherry picker. Another 351W. This is a toy build,not an everyday driver. May even go thru the trans with heavy duty clutches,bands,some shift reworking,hi volume pumps,etc. I do love stock pulling classes.... :D

Edited by rustyoldjunk, August 02, 2016 - 11:49 PM.

• stiemmy and Diesel1050 have said thanks

#6 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,282 Thanks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 12:00 AM

Very good! Better safe, than sorry;)

Sounds like you got er handled.

Couldn't agree more, those EFI setups were absolute JUNK!

Keep us posted on the rejuvenation of the ol gal, Cheers;)

Edited by stiemmy, August 03, 2016 - 12:12 AM.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 01:02 AM

Neighbor just bought one of those with a 460 and 4 speed in it for $300.Frame and body are junk,he bought it to repower his 78 F250.Engine was seized from sitting but not bad.He's going to rebuild it anyway.

Typical 80s 90s rust on the bed sides but your Cab looks Mint.Guess they don't use Salt or Calcium on the roads up there?

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 07:06 AM

I would put it back stock and save my money for something worth while rather than all that hop up stuff that just cost $$ and no return. 

#9 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 07:30 AM

Glad to see that it went where it is appreciated, and will be cherished. I'm happy for you.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Maybe Jeremiah could help you get it up and running?

• rustyoldjunk and adamjd200 have said thanks

#11 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 09:37 AM

Ditto!

#12 Diesel1050 OFFLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 343 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 10:58 AM

I would put it back stock and save my money for something worth while rather than all that hop up stuff that just cost $$ and no return.

Why would there be no return? Lots of extra HP and Torque seems pretty good to me...

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 11:21 AM

Very cool!  :thumbs:

https://www.youtube....h?v=yCSMCgqlc-0

#14 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 01:37 PM

Really no hop up stuff to speak of. The overdrive is to get a couple of more MPG,the cam and headers (the right ones) will help that too. The carb will make it easier and cheaper to work on.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, August 03, 2016 - 01:38 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 01:40 PM

Jeremiah has a lot going on in his life right now. I doubt he will have time to be around here much. I do think he will enjoy the first time he sees it running again but again that may be a while.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, August 03, 2016 - 01:42 PM.