27 replies to this topic

#16 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:16 PM

The key is to never let weeds go to seed

I think that what happen here my mower was down a month and I did get it mowed down until it was to late. 

#17 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:32 PM

I been trying many things to do the very least to control weeds. I really like doing the rows and allowing the grass to take over in between. The grass don't grow like the weeds and don't reseed like weeds and allows me to just mow in between and just pick weeds from the rows only.  

20160719_172346 (1).jpg

The pile of stuff in front is radish , I plant radish early spring and allow it to flower because it brings in a lot of bees and hover flies to help ward off the cucumber beetles.  Wish I had a few acres to try this with ....lol

• HANKG, Sawdust and bbuckler have said thanks

#18 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:36 PM

I been trying many things to do the very least to control weeds. I really like doing the rows and allowing the grass to take over in between. The grass don't grow like the weeds and don't reseed like weeds and allows me to just mow in between and just pick weeds from the rows only.  

attachicon.gif20160719_172346 (1).jpg

The pile of stuff in front is radish , I plant radish early spring and allow it to flower because it brings in a lot of bees and hover flies to help ward off the cucumber beetles.  Wish I had a few acres to try this with ....lol

I do radishes too that bad part is no one here eat them

#19 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:47 PM

I do radishes too that bad part is no one here eat them

I eat a few here and there , I can't eat hardly as many as I grow.I only grow them  for the beneficial reasons. I plant onion between my tomatoes to ward off the horn worm but love onion.also do a few other garden things that seem to help me grow better naturally.

BTW the pict I posted was earlier this year the rows are much fuller now.

• Sawdust said thank you

#20 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,901 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 06:27 AM

I did that this year. It's amazing what will grow out of a two inch gap! :D

I lap it over 1' and use pavers to hold in place its a beautiful thing not pulling weeds.
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,688 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 07:11 AM

Oh, the gap I'm talking about is where the row crops grow. So, you still have to weed.

• HANKG said thank you

#22 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 07:17 AM

I lap it over 1' and use pavers to hold in place its a beautiful thing not pulling weeds.

Sound to me like you do more work getting the matting laid than it would take to control the weeds not to mention the expense.   I am not afraid of chemicals as I know how to use them.  3 gal. sprayer with the nozzle on a course spray with Round-Up will take care of the weeds.  I kill off everything before planting.  Use it with no wind and be careful where you spray.  Once our crops are up or when planting tomatoes, cabbage, etc. I use a lot of Preen.  Haven't had a weed around the plants all year.  Contrary to what has been said the plants do not draw up the Preen and your crops are not affected..  With all the rain I have had some iron weeds come back over and over again.  When they are about 18" tall a bean hook takes care of them.  To each his own I guess.

• Sawdust said thank you

#23 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,566 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 08:48 AM

My preference is little to no spray in the veggie garden. I like the veggies that I grow to be chemical free. Lots of mulch and weed pulling.
  • HANKG and John Arsenault have said thanks

#24 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,901 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 09:50 AM

Oh, the gap I'm talking about is where the row crops grow. So, you still have to weed.

Very little since I grew sweet potato in the split. Green beans small x for seed and x for other plants I swear by it.
  • shorty said thank you

#25 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted August 10, 2016 - 11:39 AM

How about vinegar and warm water? That seems to work for most. Boiling water works too, but would probably destroy the sprayer. I like using vinegar for most things. "Pour 1 gallon of white vinegar into a bucket. Everyday 5-percent household white vinegar is fine for this weed killer. You won’t need higher, more expensive concentrations such as 10 or 20 percent. It may take two or three days longer to kill the weeds with the lower concentration, but they will die."

• Sawdust and bbuckler have said thanks

#26 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 11:29 AM

I run a bagger on my mower a few times in the spring.  As the plants start coming up, or as I plant started plants, I lay a thick mat of grass around them and in the rows.  I still get weeds, but very few.  A quick swipe with a hoe as weeds come up takes care of those.  I also use lots of straw between the rows.  My garden is 60 x 70 but I mow a big area so enough grass is not a problem.

• propane1 and bbuckler have said thanks

#27 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 05:15 PM

I run a bagger on my mower a few times in the spring.  As the plants start coming up, or as I plant started plants, I lay a thick mat of grass around them and in the rows.  I still get weeds, but very few.  A quick swipe with a hoe as weeds come up takes care of those.  I also use lots of straw between the rows.  My garden is 60 x 70 but I mow a big area so enough grass is not a problem.

I'm going to try cutting it once a week to stop them before they can bloom. 

#28 Rickardo OFFLINE  

Rickardo
  • Member No: 84693
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 02:23 AM

Pulling the weeds up properly will kill them off.To make it easier just water the area around the weed and pull them while the ground is softer.You could insert a knife alongside the deep root to loosen it before killing.Another easier is too pour boiling water directly onto the weeds.You could even block the sunlight to the weeds by cover them up with thick layers of newspapers or clear plastic.