As I was tearing it down, I discovered that the left outer axle seal was shot and leaking. I was expecting to replace all the seals and it's not a surprise, but I wasn't aware it was leaking beforehand. Once I had the wheels off and could see clearly it was apparent that it's been leaking.
All removed parts have been bagged and tagged, waiting to be cleaned and inspected.
All the shafts, gears, and rods came out without any problem. Only the axle shaft, bevel gear, and friends remain to be removed. I don't have a drift punch long enough to reach the drive pin that holds it all in place; another item for the shopping list. I cleaned out a lot of the metal fragments earlier, but you can still see a lot of it left. I am considering tossing in a neodymium magnet in when I put it all back together to help catch fragments in the future. I don't intend to abuse it as it obviously had been, but it may save the next guy a little work.
It came apart much easier than I expected. There were two bronze washers, one on each axle which I wasn't expecting as the parts manual calls them thrust bearings (1711786), which I suppose they are but it wasn't what I had in mind.
The largest of the gears on the worm shaft, labeled as "Gear - 38T" (1713409) has some wear on one edge of the teeth, but it doesn't look severe.
Edited by dtsh, May 27, 2017 - 12:31 AM.