• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rebob OFFLINE  

Rebob
  • Member No: 58644
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:28 PM

Hello to Ford Jacobsen Homelite owners past and present-- I have a 10 HP UT 34000 Jacobsen about 1983, that is very noisy,probably the peerless 4 speed manual 2300 transaxle -( not a whine sound!) So far,  I am unable to pin down. It quiets up a bunch when rear end is off ground free running. Question are these noisy LGT tractors or is the noise result of 2300 problem? I drained and refilled unit but still noiser than I would like.

Question #2 The R91 peerless right angle gear box runs too hot to touch. I'm guessing 140 deg. F, and when I tore it down, it was packed full of bearing grease. Two of bearings were noisy and I replaced them and repacked the box about 1/2 full of good EP Blue grease. Reading through all the old peerless Ford info. is misleading as one source says fill with 4 oz. -another 1/3 full -then another pump into zerk full till grease seeps out.

The tractor gear box still runs too hot to touch. Do these problems sound familiar? Hoping there are others that may shed light here.  Thanks Rebob 

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 06:18 AM

I don't know much about those right angle boxes, but it sounds like it is not lubing the bearings well with what is in there.

• Rebob said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 07:41 AM

I have a right angle gear box in one of my Bolens and I put 80-90W gear oil in it.  Never checked to see how hot it was running.

• Rebob said thank you

#4 Rebob OFFLINE  

Rebob
  • Member No: 58644
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:48 PM

Thanks again guys, Today I ran it for 15-20 minutes a couple times and actually measured the Rt. Angle gear temp @ 95 deg. F and only when shut down the temp increased to 110 deg.The gear box is only intended for grease, not oil. I am thinking that I can live with that, hopeful it will improve.

As far as the noisy 4 speed transaxle, (kind of a metallic grating sound) the noise appears worst by brake shaft and 2 gear cluster not on the input shaft side.I suppose there has been shifting without the clutch fully disengaged. This is another winter project.

Perhaps another member with this situation will come on board and comment. Thanks again Rebob :thumbs: