• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 GT FEVER OFFLINE  

GT FEVER
  • Member No: 83863
  • 5 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hi, I am a new member and owner of a Ford 140 and a newer Jacobsen Trip Dozer Blade (or at least I was told it is a Jacobsen- originally orange painted black).

I have it in place to mount, but am having trouble visualizing how the electric lift is supposed to connect and lift the heavy blade.

I have seen pictures of the Ford blade, and they have a rod through the arm where the manual lift arm would have gone. This one has no rod or hole for a rod to go through.

I can modify it and make parts, but pictures of blades actually mounted, measurements, and  diagrams would be helpful.

I've gone through the manuals and did not find any diagrams that are helpful.

Please note:

I do not want to mount a winch to the front or revise a homemade lift system, I would like to use the actuator itself, since I plan eventually to convert this to hydraulics.

I have attached a picture of how it sits. I know how the actuator mounts. I took it off for easier access.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Dozer_Lift.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:54 AM

We may need some pics of the blade to see which one it is. How wide is it?

• GT FEVER said thank you

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 09:32 AM

If you could get better pictures of the plow frame an the mounting brackets we should be able to help also take in look in the manuals section to see if there is one for attachments for this.

#4 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 1,097 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 11:38 AM

There should be a hook that goes in the hole above the slot in the pictured square lift bracket. That hook then attaches to the plow. If you use the slot, it acts more like a "float" in the down position. Cheers

#5 GT FEVER OFFLINE  

GT FEVER
  • 5 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 02:51 PM

We may need some pics of the blade to see which one it is. How wide is it?

Thanks Kenny!

The blade is 42" wide. It is a HEAVY bugger! You'll notice in the following photos that someone added a modification to arm behind blade (I'm assuming for a wench).

#6 GT FEVER OFFLINE  

GT FEVER
  • 5 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 02:54 PM

There should be a hook that goes in the hole above the slot in the pictured square lift bracket. That hook then attaches to the plow. If you use the slot, it acts more like a "float" in the down position. Cheers

What does the hook look like and where does it attach to plow? I'm assuming specific measurements are needed to make it float-or not bind??

#7 GT FEVER OFFLINE  

GT FEVER
  • 5 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 03:14 PM

Here are some pics. This is the 42" Heavy Trip Dozer Blade (or so I am told)

1. I understand that I need a front mount bracket, with a metal plate and hole and a rod mounted on arm to go through the hole in that plate, which I am fabricating.

2. The part that is puzzling is at what location is the hook mounted to the dozer arm? I'm sure the measurements need to be pretty precise to keep it from binding and to allow the "float".

3. What does the hook look like? I did search the manuals and couldn't find much to help me figure it out.

4. Does anyone have pictures and measurements of where/how to attach the hook to plow arm?

5. I noticed the plow has a super heavy duty edge plate, but no skid shoes. The whole blade is curved in back, does that act as a skid shoe? I see no place to mount skid shoes.

The last picture is of the original FORD blade, thought it might help.

Thank you so much for your responses! What a warm and kind welcome!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC07689.JPG
  • DSC07688.JPG
  • DSC07687.JPG
  • DSC07686.JPG
  • Ford_Blade1.jpg

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 04:55 PM

I can't help with your blade attachment problem, but, :welcometogttalk:

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 06:41 PM

It looks like someone has modified the part that goes under the tractor.  Kind of hard to tell you what to do seeing that!

#10 GT FEVER OFFLINE  

GT FEVER
  • 5 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 09:47 PM

It looks like someone has modified the part that goes under the tractor.  Kind of hard to tell you what to do seeing that!

Are you talking about the flattened part under the steering arm? The original Ford plow arm was made with flat stock, my understanding (or at least what I am told) is this is made for a newer model. It fits as it should (even with this modification), but I am puzzled as to the exact location to attach the lift mechanism on the side (as Stiemmy suggested) to the arm and exactly how.

I think I am going to have the extra bracket modification on front removed, as I do not plan to use a winch.

#11 GT FEVER OFFLINE  

GT FEVER
  • 5 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 10:14 PM

Does anyone have measurements from the rear mounting bracket on these schematics to the hole in side of frame that the manual lift lever would go? I believe the manual lift mount would mount in the exact place as the electric mount, correct?

Also measurements for part 30 would be handy, as that should hook directly into the existing actuator lift mechanism. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Dozer_Schematics.jpg

#12 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 10:26 PM

BTW regarding how you want to eventually convert it to hydro lift. You couldn't get a 1450 from factory with hydro lift because there wasn't enough room between engine and dash to squeeze one in.

#13 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 1,097 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 10:35 PM

Wish I had a picture of one, been a couple of years since i had mine on, and now its buried in storage, so Im no help for pics. Sorry.

#14 GT FEVER OFFLINE  

GT FEVER
  • 5 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 10:57 PM

BTW regarding how you want to eventually convert it to hydro lift. You couldn't get a 1450 from factory with hydro lift because there wasn't enough room between engine and dash to squeeze one in.

Are you referring to a space to add a hydraulic pump between engine and dash and hook it to the extended engine shaft? You are right, there isn't much space on the 140 either (the air cleaner sits in the spot), but I've seen it done on the Jacobsen Chiefs.  I am thinking of a totally different hydraulic modification. Thanks for your insight! (I would have never known this was an issue with other models too!)

#15 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 11:17 AM

Are you referring to a space to add a hydraulic pump between engine and dash and hook it to the extended engine shaft? You are right, there isn't much space on the 140 either (the air cleaner sits in the spot), but I've seen it done on the Jacobsen Chiefs.  I am thinking of a totally different hydraulic modification. Thanks for your insight! (I would have never known this was an issue with other models too!)

The 8hp-12hp engines have space to put on a factory hydro lift but since the 14hp engine is bigger thats why there isn't space for it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford 140, dozer trip blade, electric actuator lift, mounting ford-jacobsen dozer