• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • Member No: 84076
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 11:50 PM

Hey guys back to ask for more help with my Sears LT 8 there is very limited information on this model you can find anything for vintage mowers a lot older than mine but nothing for a LT8, no owners manual to be found that would be almost as good as GTtalk anyway here's what little I do know the sears parts and eplacement and repair clinic has diagrams of everything but my brakes I found this photo that is like my brake but no info on what to do my mower has the single brake and clutch pedal on the left side as are my brake assembly that is mounted to the left side of the transmission ?, the best I can tell is my LT has a transmission that is powered by a belt with a chain drive that goes to the differential or rear end which turns the rear tires, not a transaxle that the transmission, rear end, and brake assembly is kinda built together. not a mechanic bare with me when the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down the belt drive stops turning the transmission and a lever on the brake assembly should engage the brake rotor a stop the mower ok with the brake / clutch pedal pushed all the way down my brake lever is a little over 1/2 to 2/3 engaged mower moves freely even with the park brake on best I can tell from the clutch pedal there is a spring a metal connecting rod then another spring on the brake lever no adjustment there the brake assembly probably need took apart and cleaned and check the pads maybe brake and clutch adjust together hate to take a lot of stuff apart not knowing what I am doing and no instructions or a good diagram to go by, know of any go sites or someone with a LT8 owners manual to sell. my luck a odd ball lawn tractor.        

Attached Thumbnails

• PeerlessBrakeRemoval.jpg

#2 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 12:40 AM

There is a Roper LT8 in the manuals section. Is this the same as yours. I know my Sears tractor was made by Roper.  Don

• Alc said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,648 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 03:20 AM

Think I had Lt8, and was a Murray brand. Was pretty big unit, just little in features. Murray only made few years and models for them. Might check if that is what you have. Vertical shaft Briggs in mine, don't recall much else about it.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 06:20 AM

Best bet is those little pins are not moving in or coming back out.
If they move freely, you're probably looking at making pads.
I suppose it could just be a rusty disc, but I would suggest taking it apart to see what the issue is.

The spring is just an auto adjustment. Makes it so you don't have to constantly adjust a threaded rod.

Oh, and Take pics for your sanity on reassembly.
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 10:37 AM

There is a Roper LT8 in the manuals section. Is this the same as yours. I know my Sears tractor was made by Roper.  Don

yes I checked it out it had a transaxle made a little different than mine it has the clutch / brake pedal on the right side, I thank you for your help my model number starts with 917 I guess that's a Roper number just a odd lawn tractor.

#6 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Think I had Lt8, and was a Murray brand. Was pretty big unit, just little in features. Murray only made few years and models for them. Might check if that is what you have. Vertical shaft Briggs in mine, don't recall much else about it.

Thank you for your help, mine has a Tecumseh 8hp vertical shaft engine 1st 3 prefix is 917

#7 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 10:53 AM

Best bet is those little pins are not moving in or coming back out.
If they move freely, you're probably looking at making pads.
I suppose it could just be a rusty disc, but I would suggest taking it apart to see what the issue is.

The spring is just an auto adjustment. Makes it so you don't have to constantly adjust a threaded rod.

Oh, and Take pics for your sanity on reassembly.

Thanks MH81 you are probably right if all them parts slide in and out its most likely rusty and dirty no telling when it was serviced last that could also be why the brake lever is not moving all the way forward and  the rotor does look pretty rusty might even need some new pads and for sure going to take photos that's a good idea.

#8 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 07:20 PM

Photos work and in this age of digital technology the more the better.

• oldcuz said thank you

#9 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 10:19 AM

Hey guys back to ask for more help with my Sears LT 8 there is very limited information on this model you can find anything for vintage mowers a lot older than mine but nothing for a LT8, no owners manual to be found that would be almost as good as GTtalk anyway here's what little I do know the sears parts and eplacement and repair clinic has diagrams of everything but my brakes I found this photo that is like my brake but no info on what to do my mower has the single brake and clutch pedal on the left side as are my brake assembly that is mounted to the left side of the transmission ?, the best I can tell is my LT has a transmission that is powered by a belt with a chain drive that goes to the differential or rear end which turns the rear tires, not a transaxle that the transmission, rear end, and brake assembly is kinda built together. not a mechanic bare with me when the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down the belt drive stops turning the transmission and a lever on the brake assembly should engage the brake rotor a stop the mower ok with the brake / clutch pedal pushed all the way down my brake lever is a little over 1/2 to 2/3 engaged mower moves freely even with the park brake on best I can tell from the clutch pedal there is a spring a metal connecting rod then another spring on the brake lever no adjustment there the brake assembly probably need took apart and cleaned and check the pads maybe brake and clutch adjust together hate to take a lot of stuff apart not knowing what I am doing and no instructions or a good diagram to go by, know of any go sites or someone with a LT8 owners manual to sell. my luck a odd ball lawn tractor.        

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I took the brakes apart and cleaned everything reassembled them and a little adjustment and they work great look like they haven't worked in a while but they were not frozen up to bad, think they will be ok till I decide to try my hand at a restoration project. Like y'all said take picture if you are not sure how everything works. Thanks for all your help.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted August 04, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I took the brakes apart and cleaned everything reassembled them and a little adjustment and they work great look like they haven't worked in a while but they were not frozen up to bad, think they will be ok till I decide to try my hand at a restoration project. Like y'all said take picture if you are not sure how everything works. Thanks for all your help.

Glad the brakes work now.
Thanks for the update.