• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • Member No: 79393
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 06:53 PM

So my 75 Gilson has the cast iron 16hp motor and the points have been bypassed and it was running fine until a few months ago when it got shorted out when some water got on some wires.

I have it all fixed except I am having a heck of a time finding the correct coil to use. Does anyone have a part number or link to a coil (no points) where I can get one? I checked the ohms on the current coil and nothing after messing with it I am pretty sure its fried.

The model number of the motor is:

326437-0135-03 751222

The original coil number is 298968 no number on the current (Magnetron ??) coil. I don't understand why they don't put part numbers on these things.

Thanks,

Scott.

#2 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 08:21 PM

AFAIK, a Magnetron upgrade ignition was not available for the 16 single due to flywheel magnet polarity being different than other Briggs.  At least that's what I think I read somewhere.  It can be converted to battery ignition using the points and an automotive can coil.  So does yours not have points now?

• zaipai said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 08:41 PM

With your specific engines model and code number no magnetron was available at that time, just points and coil

I can get you a coil either genuine B&S or aftermarket , if interested send me a PM

If it was my engine I'd switch back over to points and condenser

• zaipai said thank you

#4 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 08:59 PM

AFAIK, a Magnetron upgrade ignition was not available for the 16 single due to flywheel magnet polarity being different than other Briggs.  At least that's what I think I read somewhere.  It can be converted to battery ignition using the points and an automotive can coil.  So does yours not have points now?

Correct the points were bypassed a while ago as far as I know. The flywheel was repolarized some time back from what I was told.

#5 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 09:02 PM

With your specific engines model and code number no magnetron was available at that time, just points and coil

I can get you a coil either genuine B&S or aftermarket , if interested send me a PM

If it was my engine I'd switch back over to points and condenser

The problem is the flywheel was already changed i.e. re-polarized by B&S a long time ago. The coil that was on it had 11/80 stamped on the bottom so if I were to go back to points I would have to do something with the magnets on the fly wheel. The points are still in there but no wire going to them at all. It was actually running fine all winter it was not until the water shorted things out that it was an issue.

Now if I can go back to the points with out messing with the flywheel that would be great I have no issues with points personally my bike has them and I can find that coil just about every place if I had the points that is.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 09:09 PM

I forget what year the polarity switched over.I know 70-72 was reversed and 80,81 you could do the magnetron upgrade.

My MTD 960 with 14hp cast briggs and sears SS14 and SS15 had reversed polarity.

My 2 1980 and 81 Gilson S16 Hydro tractors I did do the Magnetron upgrade and it worked fine.

My Montgomery wards 16 twin (very early briggs opposed twin with Points ignition) I put a Nova II ignition module in it and eventually swapped it over to full electronic ignition with a newer coil.

I know of a couple people with Mid 70s MTD 990 tractors that have done the Magnetron upgrade and it's worked fine.Member VTXrider has done the upgrade on a couple of his 990s with the 16hp briggs.Not sure what year those are.Thinking there 78,79.

If yours has been repolerized then you need Briggs Part # 398811

Or if you have a junk OHV Vanguard vertical single cylinder engine 14-21hp laying around it has a plug lead on it long enough and there the same shape coil and bolt spacing.

An old 10-12.5hp flat head coil will bolt up but the plug lead will be to short.

I just used one of the OHV Vanguard coils on an older 10hp briggs recoil start engine on my neighbor Denny's log splitter and it fit the flywheel perfectly.Plug lead is a little long but it works and it was free out of a blown up engine.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 31, 2016 - 09:20 PM.

• zaipai said thank you

#7 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 11:46 PM

I forget what year the polarity switched over.I know 70-72 was reversed and 80,81 you could do the magnetron upgrade.

My MTD 960 with 14hp cast briggs and sears SS14 and SS15 had reversed polarity.

My 2 1980 and 81 Gilson S16 Hydro tractors I did do the Magnetron upgrade and it worked fine.

My Montgomery wards 16 twin (very early briggs opposed twin with Points ignition) I put a Nova II ignition module in it and eventually swapped it over to full electronic ignition with a newer coil.

I know of a couple people with Mid 70s MTD 990 tractors that have done the Magnetron upgrade and it's worked fine.Member VTXrider has done the upgrade on a couple of his 990s with the 16hp briggs.Not sure what year those are.Thinking there 78,79.

If yours has been repolerized then you need Briggs Part # 398811

Or if you have a junk OHV Vanguard vertical single cylinder engine 14-21hp laying around it has a plug lead on it long enough and there the same shape coil and bolt spacing.

An old 10-12.5hp flat head coil will bolt up but the plug lead will be to short.

I just used one of the OHV Vanguard coils on an older 10hp briggs recoil start engine on my neighbor Denny's log splitter and it fit the flywheel perfectly.Plug lead is a little long but it works and it was free out of a blown up engine.

Thanks for the info I will have to check I have some friends with parts motors lying around perhaps they have an OHV Vanguard I can scavenge parts from. In the mean time I will look into getting a 398811 coil and see if that works.

Thanks again!

Scott..

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 06:23 AM

Both Genuine and aftermarket versions are available for the coil listed above for the repolarized flywheel.

If you need help locating one we can get them in 1-2 days

• zaipai said thank you

#9 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 02:17 PM

Both Genuine and aftermarket versions are available for the coil listed above for the repolarized flywheel.

If you need help locating one we can get them in 1-2 days

Thanks I have someone sending me a 398811 if it does not work I will contact you right away. I do however need an ignition switch mine is rather bad, also I need head lights, air filter, belts and blades can you supply those?

Thanks,

Scott..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coil, magnetron, 1975 gilson hydro 16