• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 05:10 PM

I picked up a used chipper/shredder last weekend. It is a Bolens/Gardenway/ maybe MTD?  It is branded Bolens, but has a Gardenway tag on the frame and was sold new in 1998, so I am thinking it might actually be an MTD product. The previous owner said he used it a lot, but the screen and the "wet materials baffle" still had all the original paint on them, so I think it wasn't really used a lot. Up till now anyway. I have a small orchard/  large dog run and it takes a while to mow around all of the trees. I decided to build a square wood frame around each tree and fill the frames with mulch and grade the soil up to the top of the frame all the way around. This will make it a lot faster for me to mow. It will also let the soil around the trees hold more moisture and keeps grass and weeds from competing with the trees for that moisture. I will be putting down grass seed at some point to fill i up to the frames, but we are having a serious drought up here right now, so seeding at this time is pointless. I have about half the trees done now.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 004.jpg
  • 005.jpg
  • 006.jpg
  • 008.jpg
  • 011.jpg

• Bolens 1000, grnspot110, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Nice handy machine to keep around.  I bought a Troy Built Super Tomahawk about 10 years ago.  Use it about once a year.  Have an old pickup box liner behind the garage and when it get full I get the chipper out.  Full now but to hot to do that kind of work.  Good looking mulch.  I like the way to straightened up your tree.  Only thin that plastic hose is good for.

• grnspot110 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#3 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 06:03 PM

I have a craftsman that is probably 20+ years old,thing are awesome
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#4 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 07:59 PM

I have 3 different chippers/ shredders

one is a old WW Grinder came with a 5 hp B&S - wore  the motor out, and place new 6 hp B&S on it.

it is the main one for shredding.  I get around 24 pick-up loads of sheep manure with straw.  Make great compost for the garden and flower bed.

second one is a WW Grinder 250-8 - it is a chipper/shredder.

it is used just for chipping and shredding wood.  I get a truck load of wood chips delivered from the city for free.

I shred the chips with it.  I last load I got over 300 cu ft of chips.  It goes on my 14 different flower bed and around my grapes.

the third one is a Atlas shredder.  It is only used for shredding leaves for the garden.

I also have on old Bolens shredder the the motor,  but the motor bit the dust and the motor is gone. 

I should find a motor for it, because it did a better job than the Atlas does.

#5 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 09:17 PM

Nice handy machine to keep around.  I bought a Troy Built Super Tomahawk about 10 years ago.  Use it about once a year.  Have an old pickup box liner behind the garage and when it get full I get the chipper out.  Full now but to hot to do that kind of work.  Good looking mulch.  I like the way to straightened up your tree.  Only thin that plastic hose is good for.

That hose actually works ok for electric fence insulators as well. I agree it is not what you want to have for a water hose.

Jim

• grnspot110 said thank you

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 06:18 AM

Looking Good :thumbs:

#7 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 06:23 AM

I've got an old MerryMac that I bought off ebay, I use it for shredding garden waste for compost with the screen out.  Used to have a 10HP Troy-Bilt until the cutter-head cracked, not worth fixing!  

I'd like to have a bigger one, but it's cost prohibitive, since I have a farm for the brush.  I can by a lot of mulch for the couple thousand $$$$ a bigger chipper would cost me!

#8 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 07:20 AM

I can actually buy a pick-up load of mulch from the local saw mill for $30, which would be cheaper and faster than what I am doing. I do have brush I need to get rid of though and it has been too dry for too long here to burn anything right now. I also plan to use it to chop garden waste, like cornstalks, into smaller pieces to feed to my pigs. They will eat some of it if it is thrown in whole, but I am hoping they will eat all of it if it's chopped up for them.

Jim

• grnspot110 said thank you