#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 11:50 AM

Helper.JPG

5 1/2 yo granddaughter was here this weekend so decided she might like to help in the garden.  Usually wants to help us with anything we are doing.  We headed for the garden with her RAM with trailer in tow.  Her and Grandma found a pail of green peppers to start with. Peppers.JPG   Then we dug two 30' rows of Pontiac potatoes.  We pulled the onions about 10 days or 2 weeks ago and had them laying on wood pallets to dry.  Gathered them up and added to the load.  No photos of this operation as it was hot and we were all sweating and dirty.

This morning the potatoes were dried off to get them sorted, bagged and into the basement.  Harper picked out 4 or 5 for her mother to bake.  She also got a bunch of the gold ball sized one for her eating.  First pic is her holding a baking potato.  She loves her, used to be my, hat.  Bagged Potatoes.JPG    Damaged Potatoes.JPG

Small Potatoes.JPG    Onions.JPG  

Black pail is the damaged potatoes and the white pail is the small one we boil whole.  The two large burlap bags full will be our winter eating.

For supper she wanted her favorite, hot dogs on the grill with a fresh roasting ear of sweet corn.  One long ear and 2 hot dogs later she was full.  Slept for 11 hours last night.  This morning she wanted waffles for breakfast so Grandma fixed us waffles.  She ate 3 with butter, peanut butter and syrup.  At 9:30 she wanted a snack.  I told her there were a couple waffles on a plate yet.  Next thing I know she is eating another waffle.

When grandma was going to pick her up yesterday morning, I took out 125' of fence.  3 barb wire and steel post.  Neighbor ground is in CRP for the next 10 years so no fence needed and easier to keep mowed up and looking better.  As usual she had to help load things up yesterday afternoon.  I loaded the wire and she loaded the steel post, one at a time, about 15 of them.  Then she carried them to me in the pole building to put up on the rack.  Works like a beaver over here but at home  ? ?  A whole different story.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Lots of goodies from the garden!

My wife's sister had her grand-daughter helping with the green beans this week, and my step-daughter and her step-sons were making salsa and frozen corn yesterday!

Some kids love to help out in the garden & kitchen, and that is great!

• chieffan said thank you

#3 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 12:04 PM

That's cool. Kids like to do whatever grandma and grandpa are doing period. Not so much with their mother and father.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 02:55 PM

Looks like a keeper! Good choice in hats! Yummy looking garden goodies!

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 03:57 PM

:thumbs:
Good for all of you to spend some time together and get some air.
My little one spent two days and an overnite with my Mom last week.
Swear she grew two inches while gone.

Fights us tooth and nail to eat anything here.
Up there, no problems... But maybe it's the personal chef thing too :D

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 05:43 PM

Very few things that Harper won't eat.  Not fond of Cucumbers and Onions in vinegar or my home made horse radish.  But other than that she will go for it.  We try to fix things she don't get at home, like home made spaghetti, pork steak. etc. as her mother's diet won't let her eat it so it come out of the can for Harper.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Some Great memories!  Enjoy them while you can because before you know it she will be grown and gone.