• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Florida_GT OFFLINE  

Florida_GT
  • Member No: 43958
  • 41 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 09:19 AM

Some of you may recall my selling a couple of garden tractors (2 Round Fender JD’s and a Bolens EK-10) here a few years ago, on behalf of the widow of my life-long best friend and tractor co-collecting buddy.

He lived in Western NY although I am relocated here in Florida.

I am hoping to be able to successfully help her liquidate this one last item. I listed it in 2014 for her, but we had no real interest at that time so she still has it.

About 18 years ago, he purchased this (for lack of a better term) “riding lawn roller” at an estate sale, held at a large Victorian house with a correspondingly large lot there in Western NY.

It languished in the corner of his garage until being pushed outside a year ago so she could get her car inside. The pictures were taken this week, on 7/26/16. I haven’t personally seen it since 2014, although it doesn’t appear to have suffered too much from its outside storage.

He bought it minus the engine, with plans to source a period-correct power plant and get it operational again. You can see in the pictures where the engine was originally mounted, on the parallel 2x4’s there on the left front of the machine.

My assumption is that this was “probably” constructed locally by a shop or highly-skilled individual (I did not notice a builder’s tag on it), although that being said the build quality is really high so it may well be factory-built.

It seems, in my humble opinion, to be prewar. It utilizes a lever steering mechanism (the tall lever to the far right when seated), and seems like it has provision for not only reverse but also for (3) forward speeds, attainable by moving the drive belt between the variable-sized pulley sheaves. Note the final chain drive; there is a clever means by which the chain is meant to be tensioned (I’m including a still-in-the-garage 2014 photo of the left side).

This machine is HEAVY, although quite compact. Maybe 60” long, perhaps shorter. The seat is wider than it looks; approximately 22-24”. I apologize that I don’t have more accurate measurements.

Cleaned up and fitted with a vintage engine this machine will be impressive at any engine show. It also could easily be pressed into service to roll your lawn! It should take a minimum of effort to have it, uhm, rolling again.

It is located in Western NY, just outside of Buffalo, zip code 14043 and quite close to the NY State Thruway.

We would like to get $50 for it. You will need to come equipped to load it yourself; it will be a 2-man task. Please contact me with any comments/questions. Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• Lawnroller-4.JPG
  • Lawnroller-3.jpg
  • Lawnroller-2.jpg

Edited by Florida_GT, July 31, 2016 - 09:26 AM.

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#2 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,503 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 09:59 AM

It looks cool, but dangerous as hell! I'd like to have it, but no way to get it. I'd put some covers and guards all over that thing.

• Florida_GT said thank you

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 11:42 AM

if i was up for another project i would go grab it thats a couple hour drive for me i might need a heavier trailer though

• Florida_GT said thank you

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 11:47 AM

if i was up for another project i would go grab it thats a couple hour drive for me i might need a heavier trailer though

Borrow one from my uncle!

That sure is a mean looking contraption!  I'll give you $100 delivered to Avon!

• backwoods said thank you

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 11:50 AM

Borrow one from my uncle!

That sure is a mean looking contraption!  I'll give you $100 delivered to Avon!

the durango doesnt have trailer brakes, it would be cool with a steam or hit an miss on it for shows an home use

#6 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 03:08 PM

Do you think a 48 farmall cub would pull it up on a gooseneck trailer? I might be interested

#7 Florida_GT OFFLINE  

Florida_GT
  • Member No: 43958
  • 41 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 12:27 PM

DZG, I would think a Farmall Cub would have no trouble pulling it up on a trailer, although frankly I wasn't involved pushing it outside so I can't say with any certainty what it weighs. I would guess in the 500 pound range. Note that it is currently behind the detached garage of my friend's house, on a narrow city lot. With any luck we might be getting it to the upcoming Alexander Steam show, where it would be easier for folks to inspect it and (hopefully) load it. Thank you!
  • backwoods said thank you

#8 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 08:57 AM

Cubs are pretty damn mighty. I drug my 4000lb LTD II with locked rear brakes with it lol.

But either way, ill be in touch, its a long drive and my schedule sucks...but maybe i can figure something out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale, complete minus engine