17 replies to this topic

#1 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3424
  • 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 11:15 PM

OK guys, I appreciate the help so far. but still can't get the MF12 to spin the mower deck.

I cleaned the the tractor, let it run for about 2 hours. with some carb cleaner in the tank

took it out to the field, tried to spool up the deck, it took some slow coaxing. but to know what to do to fix this. it will run (in neutral) but then wants to die. have to retard the throttle and push in the clutch. is this a engine problem, seems to idle up ok initially
but is slow to recover when it tries to die. is this a belt adjustment problem or what?

have tried to download the manual, but it is just a bunch of gobbley gook

thanks

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 04:44 AM

Does the mower spin freely by hand?
When you first engage the mower it should be done where there is no grass under it.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 05:24 AM

If the deck spins fairly easily, What type of PTO clutch does this use? Is it electric or a belt tension idler? Could be a bearing about to lock up that makes it hard to get going. Hope this makes sense. My brain is not functioning very well today.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:00 AM

If the deck spins fairly easily, What type of PTO clutch does this use? Is it electric or a belt tension idler? Could be a bearing about to lock up that makes it hard to get going. Hope this makes sense. My brain is not functioning very well today.

It is a belt clutch setup, unless the idler at the foot pedal or the jackshaft is frozen it shouldn't cause any issues.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:05 AM

OK guys, I appreciate the help so far. but still can't get the MF12 to spin the mower deck.

I cleaned the the tractor, let it run for about 2 hours. with some carb cleaner in the tank

took it out to the field, tried to spool up the deck, it took some slow coaxing. but to know what to do to fix this. it will run (in neutral) but then wants to die. have to retard the throttle and push in the clutch. is this a engine problem, seems to idle up ok initially
but is slow to recover when it tries to die. is this a belt adjustment problem or what?

have tried to download the manual, but it is just a bunch of gobbley gook

thanks

First thing I would check is make sure the deck spins freely, if it does then you can look for other issues.

Does the engine go to full throttle and sound good? If the mower deck spins free and the engine goes to full throttle next I would check the governor. You will see a lever on the side of the engine and with the engine running about half throttle if you try and move the lever by hand you should feel resistance and the rpms will change. If you don't feel any resistance then your governor either needs adjusted or something is wrong with it. Still not ruling out carb issues though either. Need a little better description of how it runs without load on it and if it goes to full throttle without surging or sounding like it is starving.

Have you checked the carb adjustments? The high speed adjustment is on the bottom of the float bowl, I usually set mine at 1 1/2 turns out to start off with. (turn in until it bottoms out, do not force and then back out one and a half turns).

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 06:06 AM

Also is there any chance you can take a video and post it for us, would be a lot easier to diagnose.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:04 AM

Also is there any chance you can take a video and post it for us, would be a lot easier to diagnose.

I typed a post before I saw you put this there. A video would help bunches.
See if you can get the governor reacting while someone else puts the deck in gear. Just watch where your toes are!

#8 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:06 AM

Don't rule out the fuel filter. Had a mower once that ran fine until you engaged the drive and mower blade then it would die out. Turned out to be the fuel filter. It's a cheap replacement and would rule it out.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 08:48 AM

My money is on carb issues.... But first, check the jack-shaft that the pully's are on. This is the one that connects the motor belt to the belt going down to the deck gear box. Also, check the deck as others have said.

At low idle, is there a hill you can drive up? At low idle, the hil will force the govenor to power up the motor to climb the hill.
  • Justpics said thank you

#10 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 11:41 AM

IMG_0001-1.jpg
Before.................................. After Paint

Thanks, I will go thru these suggestions one by one. and see if I can isolate. will try to do a video, not sure how to do that. only have my cell phone. so suggestions there would be helpful. I repainted the hood last night to make it look more like a MF, even used the original color.

I cannot get the key to activate the solenoid when turned to start, replaced it with a new mag style, but still no change. jumping the post on the solenoid works, just don't want to do that ever time I need to start it. I really appreciate the input and open Help. If there is any way I can reciprocate let me know. I do have some skills. and am fairly mechanical inclined, just worked on cars not small engines.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0057.jpg

Edited by Justpics, May 19, 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#11 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 01:46 PM

OK, here is a update, took the deck off, seems to spin freely, still have the dieing problem. plus we can add one more. I mounted the new switch. it grounds out the ignition, wont start . if i remove it from the panel it works fine except for not engaging the starter with the key

shaft pulley's are connected, seems to run out of power. i am giving up for the day. where can I find a wiring schematic for it?

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:03 PM

When you've made it through all the other suggestions, I may have another for you, but first a question. Does it die out when traveling up hill also? If it does and you don't find the problem elsewhere, check the compression. Just my $.02

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:06 PM

TEC governors are mighty touchy & often explode. It might partly be a governor issue, but sounds like the carb needs attention also.

#14 Justpics OFFLINE  

Justpics

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:12 PM

I am going to rebuild the carburetor, and start from there, I will get it done....eventually

Might even start the rebuild now. is ti difficult to rebuild the engine,? where do I get parts?

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 19, 2011 - 07:23 PM

This place carries std size piston/rings/gaskets/oil seals for the HH120, $49 to your door. Tecumseh Rebuild Kit
  • MH81, KIRO-1 and Justpics have said thanks