24 replies to this topic

#16 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 02:38 PM

I beg to differ!! I had one rupture( there is a difference) about 6 1/2 yrs ago when I was kneeling beside it monitoring the pressure and checking the pressure relief valve. Cracked the left tibia and femur and shattered the bones in the left hand, so just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Mike 

Mike, if you could have inspected the inside of the tank that ruptured would you have been able detect where the failure might occur and was there a significant amount of rust present? Also, was the tank a commercially manufactured air tank or a converted freon tank? Just curious.  Thanks

#17 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 02:46 PM

Out of curiosity, I removed the air fitting from my freebe air tank and added about a dozen 3/8" nuts. I shook the tank back and forth and up and down for several minutes to see if there was very much loose flaking rust inside.  Surprisingly there was very little rust found and only very small flakes. This may not mean anything but it was interesting to find out.

#18 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 03:49 PM

Mike, if you could have inspected the inside of the tank that ruptured would you have been able detect where the failure might occur and was there a significant amount of rust present? Also, was the tank a commercially manufactured air tank or a converted freon tank? Just curious.  Thanks

it was a factory made Craftsman tank. It was given to my son and after the rupture it appeared water stood about 6" deep in the tank for a loooong time. Needless to say if I have to be around another compressor that I haven't seen pump up to operating pressure it will be on a long extension cord well out in the open and all by itself !!

Mike 

• dthomp17 said thank you

#19 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:40 PM

Ok, so let's think through this. You buy a $ 20 camera, get it inside a tank and see a few spots of rust. How do you know if the rust is surface rust or affects the tank integrity? You don't.

Secondary is right about the testing procedure. KC9KAS is also right about them exploding. It's not whether the gas inside is flammable or not. A pressurized cylinder of any gas is a bomb. Everytime you fill the tank, it fatigues the metal just a little. Let it sit in the hot sun and it expands even more. That's why tanks have pressure reliefs on them.

As far as the old tanks not having expirations on them, we didn't know as much back then either. Look at all the things we know today that we didn't years ago--asbestos, loud noises damaging our hearing, sun and skin cancer. The list goes on and on.

Ol'Stonebreaker's family is lucky that he only had broken bones. A high school friend had a bike tire explode on him. He almost lost vision in one of his eyes.

Last summer my boys and the neighbor boys took a water bottle and with a bunch of duct tape connected it to their bike pump. After a bunch of pumping the bottle exploded. Like a bomb. You would be surprised how loud it was. My oldest was the designated pumper. He felt the blast. Now take a five or seven gallon STEEL tank with a 110 psi or more in it and explode it two feet from you. Most often when I'm using my portable tank at least part of me is touching the tank.

A five gallon portable tank from Harbor Freight is 29.99 before the 20% off coupon which drops it to $ 24.

I think I'd go for a new tank for the difference. The $ 24 is much less than most medical co-pays and cheaper than an undertaker.

I'd like to second the under taker, Get the new tank and scrap the old for an extra $1 off the new.

#20 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 09:37 PM

It's not just I about corrosion inside the tank. The metal fatigues from the pressurization depressurization cycles as the tank is loaded and unloaded. These rules are based on years of experience, testing and engineering fundamentals.

#21 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 02:18 PM

Cut it in half lengthwise, add some feet to the bottom half and some hinges to the two halves and you have a nice portable charcoal grill or maybe two planters.

#22 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Cut it in half lengthwise, add some feet to the bottom half and some hinges to the two halves and you have a nice portable charcoal grill or maybe two planters.

Afraid it would be a really small grill.  I've been looking on the internet to see if anyone has used one of these air tanks in a useful project but haven't had any luck. Actually, the small portable grill was one of the projects I found.

#23 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 03:17 PM

Cut one end off, hang it from the other end and put a clapper in it for wind chime or a dinner bell.
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#24 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 04:11 PM

Cut one end off, hang it from the other end and put a clapper in it for wind chime or a dinner bell.

Not a bad idea if I lived on a farm and had a lot of workers in the field that needed to be fed. Just me and my wife now and she can holler loud enough to get my attention pretty quick. 

#25 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 12:33 PM

Somewhere a few years ago I saw some bells for sale that looked familiar. They were the ends of oxy and acetylene tanks someone had cut off and welded a big ring on the top to hang it. They were quite thick as I remember.