78 replies to this topic

#61 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,945 Thanks
  • 5,478 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 05:35 PM

I wonder how suspension on a mower works. Seems like the suspension would compress and the deck would get lower to the ground...

#62 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,496 Thanks
  • 29,563 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 07:51 PM

I thought I was going to have to give up mowing. The jarring from the riding mower was getting to be more than my back could tolerate.  Reducing the air pressure in the tires helped for a while. Then the hydro went out on the mower so it was time to start looking for something that rides better. 
   My in-law used to be a Simplicity dealer for many years and I remembered him talking about some of theirs having suspension. Did some research and found they are available and found a dealer with one in stock. The wife and I drove over there last week and both drove it. We ended up bringing home a Regent S with the 48" fabricated deck. I did lower the air pressure in the tires from 10lbs. to 7 and then mowed with it. I have to say the ride is impressive. Did the whole yard (1 1/2 acres) and wasn't suffering when done. Cuts way down on the mowing time as it has a 14" turning radius.
  Neither of us are crazy about using a zero turns in our steep ditches.  This might be an option for you folks with bad backs that enjoy mowing with the tractor type mowers. I believe they have zero turns with suspension also.

Sounds like a decent product. It's an LT instead of a GT, correct? Couldn't find a good pic of the suspension, but it looks like it's between the frame and the fender/seat assembly
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#63 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,542 Thanks
  • 5,610 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 10:02 PM

The deck is free floating. It follows the ground not the tractor. It is a lawn tractor and the suspension is available on their larger tractors as I understand it;

The rear axle has spring shocks on the back just like a motorcycle. They are adjustable also. I'm not in good enough shape yet to put it up on the stand and look it over. The front suspension wasn't a concern but when setting on most tractors your spine is over the rear axle. The suspension along with the springs in the seat helps to eliminate the jolt that is transmitted through the tractor to your back. 

There is another thing I like about this tractor. Many of the tractors now won't let mow when backing up. The Simplicity's come with a keyed override switch that allows mowing in reverse. After engaging the deck you can turn this key and not have to turn it again till the next time the deck is engaged. 

• MH81, KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#64 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,786 Thanks
  • 1,139 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 10:51 PM

5 pages and no mention of physio therapy for pain?? I was in a TSLO for 3 1/2 months after spinal fusion. When the brace came off it was 30 minutes of physio daily for 2 months to strengthen core muscles which reduced pain to nil in a week.  Hope you can keep your back pain in control.

• toomanytoys84 and Austin have said thanks

#65 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 622 Thanks
  • 554 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 10:02 AM

I never had to do it but I'm sure there are members on here who have. 

#66 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,945 Thanks
  • 5,478 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 03:06 PM

Still holding good. I had 76 hours last week and on my 8th day in a row today.

Nothing like easing back into it.
  • KennyP said thank you

#67 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,542 Thanks
  • 5,610 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Just got home from the surgeons with paperwork to start my physical therapy. 

Told me I don't have to do anything that is uncomfortable. This is starting to sound like work and I'm uncomfortable near work.  :ok:

• KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#68 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 8,185 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 07:56 PM

Feel better. I have fought it for 16 years no fun at all.  I was so glad to have the surgery on my lower back. Hopefully when this gets all healed up they can fix my upper back. 

Take care of you back. You only get one. 

#69 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 8,185 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:02 PM

BTW I am not sure if this is a tractor forum or an old folks home after reading this thread.

• MH81, KennyP, EricR and 2 others have said thanks

#70 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,786 Thanks
  • 1,139 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:28 PM

BTW I am not sure if this is a tractor forum or an old folks home after reading this thread.

Old people conversations always eventually lead to one of two topics

medical-colonoscopy-bowel-medicine-diagn

• KennyP, toomanytoys84 and Austin have said thanks

#71 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,945 Thanks
  • 5,478 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:29 PM

I'm not even old!

They say hard work never killed anyone. But it sure hurts a lot!
  • Cvans said thank you

#72 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,786 Thanks
  • 1,139 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:03 PM

My wife has had severe lower back pain the past few months. Thursday night her appendix got angry and she had it removed immediately. The back pain went with it...appendix was the source of back pain 

• MH81, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#73 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 622 Thanks
  • 554 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 09:47 AM

I'm glad there was a resolution but that sounds like a harsh one. Hope she recovers quickly! 

#74 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,945 Thanks
  • 5,478 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 10:01 AM

Appendicitis is scary. My uncle almost died from it a a couple years ago. Well let me rephrase that. He almost died from a botched appendectomy. They knicked his bowel.

Well 132 hours in 11 days. 12 pallets of concrete, 16 10' 6" I beams(hand carried), 100 pieces of guarding, miles of walking and ton of shoveling in that period and my back feels good.

Bad thing about working underground is almost everything is moved by hand. We carried every bag of concrete from the track to where we were pouring it about 200 yards and stacked them. Then handled then again to dump them in the mixer.

Same with the beams and all the guarding.

#75 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 8,185 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 12:59 PM

Appendicitis is scary. My uncle almost died from it a a couple years ago. Well let me rephrase that. He almost died from a botched appendectomy. They knicked his bowel.

Well 132 hours in 11 days. 12 pallets of concrete, 16 10' 6" I beams(hand carried), 100 pieces of guarding, miles of walking and ton of shoveling in that period and my back feels good.

Bad thing about working underground is almost everything is moved by hand. We carried every bag of concrete from the track to where we were pouring it about 200 yards and stacked them. Then handled then again to dump them in the mixer.

Same with the beams and all the guarding.

I am guessing you picked up those I beams one in each hand?