#32 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 502 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Seeing as how we are visiting about back issues. I'm presently recuperating from extensive back surgery. Just had 27 staples removed and will be in a brace until at least Sept. I won't go into everything they did but they were inside the spinal column and other  repairs were made. When I came home from that three weeks ago I thought I'd been hit by a truck. They say it could take as long as nine months for a full recovery.

I'm already seeing improvements. I can now put on my own pants and socks.  :thumbs:

All I can say guys is take care of those backs or your REALLY going to regret it later in life. 

I have bad days where I have issues getting my pants on usually due to my leg being completely numb (it does that), but dang, it sounds like you lived through a nightmare. 

Can I ask what happened to mess your back up? 

• Cvans, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#33 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted August 02, 2016 - 10:35 AM

Can I ask what happened to mess your back up? 

It wasn't just one thing that brought this on. I had more strength than common sense. If I couldn't lift or move it, I did it anyway. Didn't like asking for help so now I'm paying for it. This is why I have to speak up when I see someone lifting something improperly. Hate to see someone go through what I've gone through the last 20 years. Can't even lift the grand-kids and that really gets me. 
Couple of motorcycle accidents might have played into also.

Edited by Cvans, August 02, 2016 - 10:37 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#34 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • 502 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted August 03, 2016 - 09:24 AM

Ouch. I can see not picking up grand kids as a loss. I hope it clears up the best it can. 

• Cvans, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#35 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 10:37 PM

Today was a good day. No pills but some 800mg idprofen. Just a little stiff today. Hopefully I am on the mend.

Gained 8lbs sitting around! Going from extremely physical 60+ hours a week working to sitting and eating has added some pounds...

When I went from my desk job to my job now I lost 35lbs in 10 weeks! I had to poke 2 holes in my belt...
  • MH81, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#36 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 10:42 PM

Today was a good day. No pills but some 800mg idprofen. Just a little stiff today. Hopefully I am on the mend.

Gained 8lbs sitting around! Going from extremely physical 60+ hours a week working to sitting and eating has added some pounds...

When I went from my desk job to my job now I lost 35lbs in 10 weeks! I had to poke 2 holes in my belt...

My doc gives me big bottles of 800mg ibuprofen for my neck and shoulders. I got hurt 3 years back after dropping a riding mower on top of me been in pain since. They warned me if I didn't stop lifting stop I would end up needing surgery kinda hard to not do heavy lifting. 

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#37 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 10:45 PM

My doc gives me big bottles of 800mg ibuprofen for my neck and shoulders. I got hurt 3 years back after dropping a riding mower on top of me been in pain since. They warned me if I didn't stop lifting stop I would end up needing surgery kinda hard to not do heavy lifting.

They work pretty good! I was popping Vicodin last week. I hate pills in general. I'm happy to be off them. Follow appointment Monday. I pray to be released for work even if it's with restrictions. I can't take another 7 days at home....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • backwoods, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#38 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted August 05, 2016 - 10:56 PM

They work pretty good! I was popping Vicodin last week. I hate pills in general. I'm happy to be off them. Follow appointment Monday. I pray to be released for work even if it's with restrictions. I can't take another 7 days at home....

I don't like pills either that why they give me the ibuprofen. I don't even take the muscle relaxers. 

• olcowhand, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 07:26 AM

I don't like pills either that why they give me the ibuprofen. I don't even take the muscle relaxers. 

I never used to like taking pills either, even just an aspirin or the like.  But I'm afraid as you get older, it's almost a sure thing you will need or have to.  I literally hated pain pills & their effects years ago and would not take them.  After my surgery, I take them when needed!  My last bottle of 45 pain pills I got 70 days ago, and I still have 20 of them.

• backwoods, boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#40 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 06, 2016 - 07:47 AM

I have a guaranteed life time prescription of muscle relaxers that I take as needed maybe once a month to help get to sleep, other then that I avoid most things mainly due to the epilepsy an only have a few things I can take that won't effect my meds. When i originally hurt my back i was off work for 2 weeks went back on light duty then work called my doc an i was off for 2 months then found a new job that would work with my new lifetime weight limit. Still some days are better I can lift more then others but it's something unfortunately I have to deal with hopefully you'll heal an not have to go through the b.s. I've had to.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
  • boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#41 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Really good day today. No pills consumed today. Very little pain and a little stiff.

A woman I worked with at one of our shops husband passed away Saturday. She is a very sweet woman of 72(still working every day as a secretary). Me and another guy are making the 2 hour drive down for the viewing. I pray my back is up to the trip!

• olcowhand and boyscout862 have said thanks

#42 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted August 07, 2016 - 08:06 PM

Take a vehicle that will allow you to lie down in the back. The sitting will kill you. We have a conversion van so that Martha can lay in the back on trips.

Do what you can to relieve the pain. Pain can be a vicious cycle where it causes other physical problems that lead to more pain. I've been taking aspirin almost every day for the past 25 years. I took other things as perscribed but aspirin works the best for me. It relieves the pain and reduces the inflammation. Rest is very important too. I was laid off at 59 and couldn't get a job so I ended up retiring. After 8 months of retirement, where I could rest and take it easy when I wanted to, I woke up one morning to realize that I wasn't in pain. After decades of pain, it was a great moment. I still get hurt around the house but now I can immediately quit, take a hot shower, and relax until I'm okay again. Life feels alot better that way.

I used to suffer for weeks when my back went out. Now with immediately taking care of it(instead of waiting til I got home), I usually bounce back in a few days. Good Luck, Rick

• olcowhand, MH81, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#43 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 11, 2016 - 06:26 PM

Trip for the funeral was fine. Little stiff when we got home. Glad I went to the funeral.

The doctor wouldn't release me even for light duty. He said 2 more weeks. He warned me even though I feel good now I need to completely heal.

I can't wait to get back to work. I'm getting better at doing nothing but it's painful.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 11, 2016 - 06:26 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#44 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • 502 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:34 AM

I'm still working, no heavy lifting so I can't get light duty or anything like that, not that I need it. 

I was up all night with my back. Couldn't get comfortable. Took a pain pill at 3 am and had a hard time waking up this morning. I've been chugging coffee trying to offset the meds. This is terrible. My bed is calling me and I feel woozie. 

• Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#45 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted August 12, 2016 - 08:53 AM

They warned me if I didn't stop lifting stop I would end up needing surgery kinda hard to not do heavy lifting. 

This makes me think of that Russian Olympic Weight Lifter who was lifting over 400+ lbs. His elbow suddenly dislocated.

• Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks