78 replies to this topic

#16 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 07:50 AM

I broke mine when I was a Marine Drill Instructor, Never be the same again. Chiropractor is my best friend

• Alc, boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#17 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 05:42 PM

Feeling much better today. I woke up at 5am. Couldn't lay in bed anymore. Did the heat then cool dance for an hour. Felt ok so I did some easy work in the addition. Really I just walked around and tinkered with stuff that I could do without bending over and had my daughter hand me stuff that was too low.

I am so bored..

Right now I am sitting on the couch and mainly pain free...just need to be still.
  • MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Glad it was a decent day!

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 08:05 PM

Don't push it. You'll set yourself back.
Do that computer backup you've been planning on, dust the ceiling fans, do some grilling.
You don't have to be bored, just have to do the things you never think of and sometimes seem menial.
  • boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 10:27 PM

Don't push it. You'll set yourself back.
Do that computer backup you've been planning on, dust the ceiling fans, do some grilling.
You don't have to be bored, just have to do the things you never think of and sometimes seem menial.

It's hard to just sit...but I didn't do anything strenuous. Just tinkered. I didn't even bend over.

Oddly it feels better to move around than it does to sit.

I do think these pills are making it hard to sleep now. Or ive slept so much that I just can't sleep anymore. I've been up for for like 19 hours now and I'm not even remotely tired..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 09:11 AM

Take it slow an easy dont rush into any heavy lifting i still have a 25lb weight limit with the doc from hurting my back in 2007 an mine was a few pulled/torn muscles. For a while after physical therapy i was going to the chiropractor to help no i use an excrise ball to help stretch my back a few times a week an a good hot shower i normally can move around again.

• MH81, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#22 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 09:59 AM

I find that bending forward helps mine a lot.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#23 Austin ONLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 507 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 09:20 AM

I'm in the middle of a back problem and it's heck. Every action hurts. Mine is a lot in my legs due a to a pinched nerve in my back but it's taking me down for the count on multiple occasions. I've been up all night with it tonight. I miss sleep. 

• Alc, backwoods, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 11:44 AM

Seeing as how we are visiting about back issues. I'm presently recuperating from extensive back surgery. Just had 27 staples removed and will be in a brace until at least Sept. I won't go into everything they did but they were inside the spinal column and other  repairs were made. When I came home from that three weeks ago I thought I'd been hit by a truck. They say it could take as long as nine months for a full recovery.

I'm already seeing improvements. I can now put on my own pants and socks.  :thumbs:

All I can say guys is take care of those backs or your REALLY going to regret it later in life. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#25 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 05:34 PM

Check up today. Healing as he expected. No release for light duty. He said my work has no light duty...i just can't stand sitting any more. He said another week and he may release me with restrictions.

I feel decent. I was able to ride in the car without being in terrible pain. Didn't sleep real well last night. Kept waking up cramping.

I agree about taking care of your back. I am always careful about it. This time I made a mistake trying to grab that thing. Yanked the crap out of my back.
  • KennyP, Cvans, backwoods and 2 others have said thanks

#26 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,161 Thanks
  • 1,217 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 06:47 PM

Patience is the key - take it from someone who is older (not sure if I am any wiser).  The back will get better if you follow the doctors advice - sometimes it only takes a few seconds of not thinking to cause a lifetime of suffering.  When I was in my mid twenties I reached for an ice scraper on the dash of my car and for the next three weeks I was on thirty aspirin a day and getting heat massage therapy daily as well - not something I planned but it was a painful lesson I still remember. 

As a suggestion to kill some time start planning some new projects or think of things you can do that don't require a lot of physical movement - download and read some parts, owners and service manuals.  Start a log of things you have done and things you need to do on your projects when you are able.  As you become older you may find the logs will help you with remembering how you fixed something, when it was fixed, the part numbers you used, etc. - the memory I had when I was in my thirties has forgotten to hang around now that I am in my sixties and since I still own cars that I got when I was in my twenties the logs help me.   Take care of yourself and enjoy life the way it comes - consider it one of life's lessons of things we all take for granted sometimes such as the ability to move and work pain free and how quickly things can change.

• backwoods, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Seeing as how we are visiting about back issues. I'm presently recuperating from extensive back surgery. Just had 27 staples removed and will be in a brace until at least Sept. I won't go into everything they did but they were inside the spinal column and other  repairs were made. When I came home from that three weeks ago I thought I'd been hit by a truck. They say it could take as long as nine months for a full recovery.

I'm already seeing improvements. I can now put on my own pants and socks.  :thumbs:

All I can say guys is take care of those backs or your REALLY going to regret it later in life. 

Man Chris, sorry to hear this!  My neck surgery came with a 18mth full recovery calendar, but I was cleared to work at 2 months with restrictions.  at about the 4th month, restrictions were lifted, but they said I'd take 18 months to get to the best I'll ever get.  That will be this November.  Looking like numb fingers will be with me for life as they've not gotten any better, but they warned me I likely had some permanent spinal cord damage.  

• Cvans, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#28 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Check up today. Healing as he expected. No release for light duty. He said my work has no light duty...i just can't stand sitting any more. He said another week and he may release me with restrictions.

I feel decent. I was able to ride in the car without being in terrible pain. Didn't sleep real well last night. Kept waking up cramping.

I agree about taking care of your back. I am always careful about it. This time I made a mistake trying to grab that thing. Yanked the crap out of my back.

This my sound crazy but if you sleep on your side but a pillow between yourknees an ankles it will help with spinal arrangement. If you sleep on your back roll a pillow up.an place it behind your knees to.slightly elevate them as if your were in a recliner, these are a couple things other friends with back problems told me an they work for me. Hopefully you can find something to help you get some rest, were you prescribed muscle relaxers if so maybe taking them before bed will help you ease into a good sleep. I did a lot of reading an research while on my break from work on anything an everything that looked interesting.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
  • olcowhand, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#29 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 09:40 PM

I likely had some permanent spinal cord damage.  

I'm hoping the numbness and strong prickling in the bottom of my feet is not permanent either but I will learn to live with it like you did Daniel. 

Living and dying is one thing, growing old is a real pain. 

Edited by Cvans, August 01, 2016 - 09:41 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Bring up a blank google page and type three letters with eyes closed.
Choose the second suggestion by Google. If the second is against your core beliefs, type again.

Waste an hour learning.
  • backwoods, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks