• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Leversee OFFLINE  

Jim Leversee
  • Member No: 84082
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 04:45 PM

I have a Power King 1218 that for some time has been shutting down after bit gets hot and then won't restart. Now it won't start at all.

I suspect the ignition coil but, rookie that I am, I'm not even sure how I can get to it! I don't want to tear apart the whole tractor if I don't need to. The flywheel seems to be buried under sheet metal. Any suggested approaches?

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 05:15 PM

I don't know your machine but sounds like a failing or now failed condenser.

#3 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 07:51 AM

I agree with probably a condenser.

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 12:56 PM

Hi Jim welcome to the group, I'm not real familiar with your engine but I believe it has an electronic system that Kohler refers to as ignition modules and yes to get to them you'll have to remove the cooling blower tin and on your tractor it may require removing many other parts of the tractor just going by the model 1218 I'm thinking this is what is referred to as a plastic model.

• Jim Leversee said thank you

#5 Jim Leversee OFFLINE  

Jim Leversee
  • Member No: 84082
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for replies. The M18 has an electronic magneto ignition system and no condensers. I was hoping not to have to remove so many "covers" as many of the bolts are pretty rusted, but I guess I'm going to have to suck it up. Once I get to the module, I'll try to test it before buying a new one. I've used an in-line plug tester and see some spark but it doesn't look very strong. The Kohler module runs about $185 (ouch) but I did find an aftermarket on ebay for $50.

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 10:00 PM

Just a thought but have you checked the plug wire also? That may be an easy fix before you dig in.
  • Jim Leversee said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler m18, power king 1218, ignition coil