#1 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,242 Thanks
  • 7,474 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 10:17 AM

I have never heard this explanation before and thought some others would appreciate it.

• ducky, Alc, hamman and 12 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 12:01 PM

I was taught to fold it that way 44 years ago in Boyscouts. Used it many times in the Army. Never heard any of that stuff. Was told that it ends as a triangle because a triangle is rigid and does not give easily. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,773 Thanks
  • 4,281 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Our American legion Post gives a presentation every year to the grade school students.  That is part of the presentation.  As president of the county Historical Society I found that 4 of our board members did not put the flags up when they had the facility open.  When I asked them why, their reply was they didn't know how, never had to do it.  And they walk among us and vote.

• MH81, hamman, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 61934
  • 659 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 02:34 PM

• hamman said thank you

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 929 Thanks
  • 646 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 03:28 PM

As a military retiree and honor guard member for my entire service to this country I love to hear military history. This however meaningful to someone is not in any way what we were taught, it is however neat what some people come up with to try and bring meaning to something. I have presented that folded flag to over one hundred grieving widows and family members, it was one of the greatest honors the military let me take part in! I especially love when the rifle team would sneak up behind me and slip the fired shells in my hand so that on the final inspection of the folded flag I could stuff the brass under the securing fold. I have been called to reform a flag that was given after World War 2 and upon reforming with my team a small package fell out, it was the shells they fired that day and it brought tears to my eyes to see that tradition and know I still took part in the same tradition so many years later.
  • ducky, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 7 others have said thanks

#6 lyall OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,384 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 08:24 PM

two flags of the USA

actually have two national flags, a military flag and a civil flag for peacetime.
They have several important distinctions and meanings.

• Bruce Dorsi, KennyP, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,541 Thanks
  • 3,076 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 03:21 AM

The town of Nipawin Saskatchewan is celebrating the Wounded Warriors Weekend this weekend; the flags of both our countries are being flown, and will be folded properly at the closing ceremony. Thank you to all the warriors and to the flags that remind us of their service and sacrifices.
  • KennyP, LilysDad, Eric and 1 other said thanks

#8 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 929 Thanks
  • 646 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 09:58 PM

Oldedeeres, just wanted to acknowledge you for saying thanks to veterans, many people say thanks but rarely are they specifically replied to. Most just say your welcome or some other pre programed response, so I want to say to you, THANK YOU FOR THE THOUGHT you don't know how much it means to us that you take the time to show us some respect! Again thanks and hope you and yours many good tidings for years to come!
  • oldedeeres said thank you