Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

my brother borrowed my Deere and now it is sick...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Betty Humpter OFFLINE  

Betty Humpter

• Member No: 1438
  • 13 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 07:35 PM

i have a 2005 L120 with the 22hp v twin B&S. tractor ran fine when he took it, now it wont run at low idle. (stalls out) when you run it for a few min at full throttle then shut it off it will diesel for a little while. he said the only thing he did was fill the tank. I changed the plugs, and the fuel filter. air filter is still clean. help!!!!

any thoughts? to me it sounds like it is running lean?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,593 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 07:53 PM

Water in the fuel will cause lean mixture. It will also block off the tiny orifices on the low speed circuits.

#3 Betty Humpter OFFLINE  

Betty Humpter

• 13 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 08:04 PM

so drain it and SEAFOAM it?

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Sounds like he either topped it off with bad gas or diesel or kerosene. At least diesel and kerosene won't hurt a gas engine. I would put seafoam in it and see how it goes rather then waste the gas that is in it, unless it isn't gas. Take the cap off the tank and smell it to make sure it is gas.

#5 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 08:09 PM

I bet he humpt it! I know that I have been having major fuel problems with just about everything that comes in the shop. Here in western pa I think that the motto at the ethanol plant is hey, we make dry gas, so we can cut it in half with H2O and increase our profits! Dump some of the fuel into a quart container and see if it separates , Ive had three separations in one jar go figure. I been adding seafoam with very good results. I am not sure how the carb is set up on your tractor, but on the older horz. shaft vangards I have been taking the top of the carb off (down draft) after pinching fuel line off and running engine out of fuel; filling the bowl with strait seafoam. Turning the the ignition to on to open fuel shut off plunger and after a minute or so turn the switch back off . replace top of carb. and start on the seafoam untill it dies, add seafoam to your tank and turn on fuel. worked for me twice. hope this helps Shawn
  • MH81, caseguy, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,593 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 08:11 PM

I would try some Seafoam first, as draining always leaves something in the tank, and likely it would leave water as it's heavier than gas & will find the low spots to settle into. If the carb has a drain plug, do drain the carb before starting again after treating the gas. If he topped it off with diesel, it will hardly run if at all.

#7 Betty Humpter OFFLINE  

Betty Humpter

• 13 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 11:26 AM

you guys nailed it. i drained the tank and put seafoam in it and it cleaned it out and runs great again!!