Removing stuck shift knob

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dtsh OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82586
  • 48 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 09:53 PM

The top gasket on the transmission for my 750 leaks, so I want to replace it. Problem is, I can't get the #%*@$ shift knob off!

I've been spraying it with penetrating oil for the past 4 or 5 days and still no luck. Any advice from those who have dealt with it before? I am almost wondering if it might not be easier to disassemble it from the linkage end, but I'd rather not open that can of worms unless I need to.

• tomgo1 said thank you

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,169 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 10:30 PM

There is no linkage to mess with.Remove the fenders and seat mount and take the 2 bottom bolts out on the dash.Not the 2 that go into the frame the other 2 on the side just above those.

Remove the whole shifter.Just take the 2 small bolts out.They do have nuts on the bottom.And pull the shifter out in 1 piece.

Here 1/2 of this video will help.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 28, 2016 - 10:30 PM.

• CRFarnsworth and sodisr have said thanks

#3 dtsh OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82586
  • 48 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 11:28 PM

Thanks, that was pretty useful, it looks like less hassle than I expected.

Edited by dtsh, July 28, 2016 - 11:29 PM.

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,758 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 07:17 AM

Not bad coming apart.  Trick is to get the nuts back on the bolts inside the tower.  I use a long 7/16 off set box end wrench and put tape over one side on on the sides of the wrnech to help the nuts stay in the wrench.  Good luck.

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,048 Thanks
  • 2,090 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 08:23 AM

There is no need to remove the shifter in order to remove the top cover of the transmission.

Disconnect the parking brake linkage (one cotter pin).

Remove the 2 screws in the side of the cowl.  ....Originally these did not have nuts on the inside, so there may or not have nuts inside.

Remove the cap screws holding the cover down.

Pry the rear of the cover up, and raise it as you slide the cover toward the rear.  ....The bottom of the gearshift can clear everything if you raise the cover enough.

To help in re-assembly, glue the new gasket to the top of the transmission, but take care not to cover the vent (porous brass plug) with gasket goo.  ....Let the gasket goo set up, so the gasket doesn't move.

Apply a smear of grease on the top of the new gasket and re-install the transmission cover.  .....The grease helps seal, but allows the cover to be removed in the future without tearing (or needing) a new gasket.

• CRFarnsworth and 29 Chev have said thanks