#16 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 10 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 07:39 PM

not sure how much help this is, from 1979 Sears catalog,
the '78 models listed had a bit different grill,

the first pic, item 3 has the right look, and the second pic gives the proper description...maybe...
i might assume the model number would be: 502.25526x
the 502.** numbers being murray, (BUT - murray also used a few other prefixes too...)
the 'x' at the end would be a 0, then any mods, etc, would be 1, then more would be 2, etc

and looks like someone didn't care for the original sears colors, oh well...

i would say the shift pattern starts all the way toward you for reverse, then neutral, then 1st, 2nd , etc...
(but then you have already found this out playing with it, right???)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1979_Sears-a.jpg
  • 1979_Sears-b.jpg

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#17 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • Member No: 84076
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 10:41 PM

Thanks daniel_b the sear catalog add and photo is cool that mower looks just like mine except 10 times better the 8hp add is probably what I have, the man I bought it from his cousin put that funky gray paint on it but I'll fix that later on, I feel kinda ignorant but I found the model # while looking under the mower checking on adjusting the brakes so here is the model number for a vintage sears LT8 1979 maybe ?    917.255260  I just got this old mower its in decent shape good engine, good sheet metal, lights work, good tires, mows good, needs brake work that's next, and I put a new exhaust on it changed the oil, air filter, spark plug, I will restore it eventually but just going to use it for now.      

• DougT and MH81 have said thanks

#18 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 10 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 04:35 PM

oldcuz,
well, see, there i was, going to be leading you astray...
when i looked at the sears - roper - ayp stuff, didn't find anything that seemed quite right,
(and sears never did put manufacturer prefixes in their catalogs...)
soooo, i just ASSumed and gave credit to murray, (see what that got me, huh???)

good thing you found, as Paul Harvey used to say, "the rest of the story" - the 917.*** prefix, so now you at least have the right model number to search with, although, with the age involved, everything will just be "sorry, no longer available..."

here is a link to what is really an IPL, (illastrated parts list), but at least you would have a general idea of what attaches to what...
Model # 917255260 CRAFTSMAN Lawn, Tractor
https://www.searspar...Term=917.255260
  • oldcuz said thank you