• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 11:35 AM

Over thirty years ago I bought an old Bain Brothers tire changer for $25, it came with a 4' x 4' concrete slab under it. It sits outside with a 5 gallon bucket over it to protect the hold down threads. I have changed 100s of car and truck tires with it. The 12" GT tires are a little aukward but doable. Anything smaller won't fit. The little HF tire changer went on sale for $27 and I grabbed it. It took me a couple of weekes to figure out the best place to mount it. I mounted it horizontally on the end of a heavy steel work bench. When not in use, I pull the pin and just put most of it on the bench. This works pretty well but there still are times when busting a bead is difficult. A few years ago, I bought a very old mechanical car tire bead breaker for $10. It is a portable(20 lbs) tool that just sits on the floor. It is faster and stronger than the HF. It makes short work of any bead so that I save time and effort. The other alternative for bead breaking is a bead breaking hammer. I've busted many split rims with mine but I don't think anyone else uses them. You may be able to pick one up cheap. There was a GM coil spring compressor that worked for breaking small tire beads too. Lubricants will help alot when disassembling and assembling. Good Luck, Rick

Until you mentioned it I'd forgot having a GM spring compressor around here, somewhere. Dug around nearly all day yesterday for a piece of 3/8 all thread, no luck. Went through gear pullers etc. too short. Discovered a scissor jack...that may work with some re-engineering. Problem encountered with these smaller rims has been breaking the bead and getting it all anchored to pop it up over the rim. Have a quart of wire-pulling lube...works fairly decent, and the always reliable soap.

Thanks

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 11:48 AM

I've got the small one, set up to mount in my woodworker's bench vise.  Only problem I've had was the breaker tab was too weak, welded on a heavier piece.  I later made my own breaker:  HPIM2626.JPG  HPIM2627.JPG

I've changed a lot of 4"-12" tires with it over the years!

• Alc, CRFarnsworth, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#18 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 12:47 PM

Bigger one has too big of center post to put most GT wheels over. Wheels usually 1-3/8" w/out the bearings in them, and the post is bigger, like 2" maybe?  There is a smaller version, but haven't ever seen it in catalogs or usual sales flyers. Some on here shown, would like to try that. I mounted mine to square tube to fit my truck hitch, but is just a little too tall for easy working and using bead breaker that way means laying wheel/tire on a bucket or other lift to get up that high. That is one of best parts of it, the breaker. Would be better mounted on a floor, just don't have room for such. NOW, with new garage for storage, maybe I can mount it in shop??  Where, not sure yet.

• Phluphy said thank you

#19 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 01:33 PM

You can't get the bead breaker to line up with the 8'' rim no matter how you try, it says for eight and twelve inch rims I had no luck using it unless I'm doing something wrong ?

• Phluphy said thank you

#20 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 01:40 PM

I have the larger floor model  that came from GREG SMITH EQUIPMENT.

I have changed 10-20 tires and it works really good for the price.

The bead breaker did break, but I re-welded it and all is well again.

I don't like how it "clamps" the wheel in 3 places. I manage to spin the wheel right out of the clamps.

All in all it was well worth the money

You may have better luck by putting tire tube pieces' s on the clamps not only reduces slippage but protects the rims.

• KC9KAS said thank you

#21 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 04:28 PM

When all else fails breaking beads I use an old bumper jack under anything that doesn't have a plastic bumper! Get the tire positioned under vehicle such that the foot of the jack is against outside of the rim and jack upwards, once you have a little clearance you can tap the foot under the rim edge with hammer if needed, jack a few more clicks, BINGO ! Have used this on every size from  small dolly wheels to semi truck rims on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

With tires "ya do what ya gotta do"  However good tools are a lot nicer and SAFER !

Seems like there was an opinion poll on the HF Mini-Changer on here a while back, sounded good enough to make me put it on my wish list.

Good Luck !

• Gtractor and HANKG have said thanks

#22 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 05:15 PM

You can't get the bead breaker to line up with the 8'' rim no matter how you try, it says for eight and twelve inch rims I had no luck using it unless I'm doing something wrong ?

I have done 8's & 12's with same results SUCCESS.

• HANKG and Phluphy have said thanks

#23 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 08:00 PM

For breaking the tough beads I have an old slide hammer truck tire bead breaker.  It is heavy and kind of hard to handle at times but it sure does the job.  Stand on one side of the tire and work on breaking the bead on the other.

• Phluphy said thank you

#24 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 10:44 PM

I've got the small one, set up to mount in my woodworker's bench vise.  Only problem I've had was the breaker tab was too weak, welded on a heavier piece.  I later made my own breaker:  attachicon.gifHPIM2626.JPG  attachicon.gifHPIM2627.JPG

I've changed a lot of 4"-12" tires with it over the years!

That is my kind of build. Nothing light weight about it.

• grnspot110 said thank you

#25 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 10:49 PM

Nothing I enjoy more than a challenge. Not set on getting it yet, but thinking what you are up against can be rectified with a bit of determination.

Thanks

• HANKG said thank you

#26 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 09:31 AM

Well, went out and bought a lift from HF and when there also found the small changer. SO, now to go out and see what junk they are! The lift was $89, cheapest I have seen one for, so got it. Not even sure I wanted one that bad, yet see others on here using them, so gonna try one. Heck, might clean my deck on the mower now, never do much with it all summer.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160729_212047.jpg
  • 20160729_212022.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, July 30, 2016 - 09:33 AM.

#27 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,757 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted July 30, 2016 - 10:21 AM

I use my HF breaker for the rear tires. For the fronts I put a big bolt in my bench vise and slip the wheel over that and tighten down a nut on it. Works pretty good and all I have to store is a nut and bolt. 

• KennyP said thank you

#28 Saratoga OFFLINE  

Saratoga

• Member No: 23
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 02:01 AM

I have used a very old coates manual changer for the last 46 years

Works on front and rear tires  I used it to change a eight inch tire on my golf cart a few days ago

Look on Craigs list for one

• Alc said thank you

#29 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 07:01 PM

Just a note on the tractor lift!  Capacity says 300lbs. Well, got it our for first try on the Big PK and it didn't move it at all!!  Checked for release being in all the way and other things. Found a screwdriver slotted item, think for pressure release like on any jack, maybe overload on this one. Was tiny bit loose, but not really. Torqued it up tighter.  Would not lift my tractor. I know this is a big one, have no idea on weight at moment, but must be more than 300lbs in front then?  I did not try another tractor yet, but THIS one was the one I mostly bought it for, so my fault not thinking of being too light for the job. OH, well!  I'll try another sometime and see what it does.

#30 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,708 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Did you check and see if it had hydraulic fluid?  If I remember correctly I had to put some in mine. I can lift an Electra Glide, which weight's more then 900 lbs, with mine although you can tell it is about at it's limit.  I put my Heritage on mine all the time, in fact it was on there for over a week jacked up waiting on a tire.  I've put some big GT's on there without any problems.