29 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 09:19 PM

Opinions on HF's tire changer, please.

Have to change out front, and rear tires on GT's. From the overall customer reviews it appears to have a few weak points i.e. breaker bar, floor mounts.

Problems experienced by members? Anyone successfully beefed it up?

• CharlesDes said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 09:25 PM

There are a few guys that have them and they have posted about in different places. Hopefully they will give you a heads up on this tool.

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Well the tires / Rims we are talking about in a PM. The tires will be removed with a Saws all as all you need is the rims, I'll use a dermal with a cutoff wheel to remove the rest of the tire bead.

I struggle braking tires down. Have not found an "easy" solution. I have tried many recommendations with no luck.

#4 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • Member No: 49949
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 09:51 PM

I have the HF floor mount unit and mount it on a skid when I use it, for the money you can't beat it! Yes, it's built cheap for $40 (think that was around what I paid with a coupon?) you can't change tires any easier cheaper. I swapped around 4 sets of turfs and bar treads in a short amount of time. Use a lube on the tires/rims to put the tires back on, I failed to do that and it went harder than it should have had I used lube.

I've not used the small bench top one for the fronts but plan on picking one up sometime for future use.

The one thing I found was the piece with the 4 legs that holds the rim down is cheap cheap cheap but it works, probably will need to make a new one at some point down the road with extended use

Edited by Brucepts, July 27, 2016 - 09:53 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#5 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 10:41 PM

If you get the small one, get a bead breaker too, you will not be able to break them with the changer, the big ones have a built in bead breaker.

• Alc said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 03:42 AM

I have the floor mount changer. I use it to break the bead on all tires, including the small ones. I made a holder for the small tires so I could change them out also.

Image018.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 04:24 AM

I have the larger floor model  that came from GREG SMITH EQUIPMENT.

I have changed 10-20 tires and it works really good for the price.

The bead breaker did break, but I re-welded it and all is well again.

I don't like how it "clamps" the wheel in 3 places. I manage to spin the wheel right out of the clamps.

All in all it was well worth the money

• Alc said thank you

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 05:38 AM

I found that you can't use the HF floor mount model to take off the tires from front rims I brought it back how many tire changers am I going to have ?

• Phluphy said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 05:52 AM

I have the two!

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 06:29 AM

So far, I consider the bead breaker to be with the price. The holder and changer are ok. A few tires, I've done on it, a few the old fashioned way.
I'm serious when I say the bead breaker is worth the expense. I don't mind doing a tire with a set of bars, usually... But the breakdown is what gets me. This saves me a ton of aggravation and work.

Haven't figured out where I want it yet, so we've been clamping to this or that as a base.
  • KC9KAS said thank you

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 07:09 AM

Be better off watching auctions and sale listing and pick up a manual Coats changer.  I did several years ago for $100 and wouldn't trade it for a dozen HF changers.  Have to get inventive for the GT front wheel but it gets the job done.

#12 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 07:52 AM

I have the HF tire changer with MC adapter.  I ended up making my own base for the MC adapter and just use the bead breaker on the tire changer.  I use both on a regular basis for MC and tire changes.  Works great for me.

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 08:43 AM

Over thirty years ago I bought an old Bain Brothers tire changer for $25, it came with a 4' x 4' concrete slab under it. It sits outside with a 5 gallon bucket over it to protect the hold down threads. I have changed 100s of car and truck tires with it. The 12" GT tires are a little aukward but doable. Anything smaller won't fit. The little HF tire changer went on sale for $27 and I grabbed it. It took me a couple of weekes to figure out the best place to mount it. I mounted it horizontally on the end of a heavy steel work bench. When not in use, I pull the pin and just put most of it on the bench. This works pretty well but there still are times when busting a bead is difficult. A few years ago, I bought a very old mechanical car tire bead breaker for $10. It is a portable(20 lbs) tool that just sits on the floor. It is faster and stronger than the HF. It makes short work of any bead so that I save time and effort. The other alternative for bead breaking is a bead breaking hammer. I've busted many split rims with mine but I don't think anyone else uses them. You may be able to pick one up cheap. There was a GM coil spring compressor that worked for breaking small tire beads too. Lubricants will help alot when disassembling and assembling. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and Phluphy have said thanks

#14 Dugmf12 OFFLINE  

Dugmf12
  • Member No: 57577
  • 72 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 09:14 AM

I have both, the small and floor mount.  It serves me fine, although I have only changed maybe a dozen tires with it.  I put floor anchors in garage for the large one and I place the small one in my vice I have on a work bench.  Serves me fine.  I use the floor mount to break beads on both the front and rear gt tires.  I am quite satisfied so far.  Use a soap solution to help with mounting, it's almost a must.

#15 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 11:27 AM

I found that you can't use the HF floor mount model to take off the tires from front rims I brought it back how many tire changers am I going to have ?

What was the major problem encountered with front rims? Without going out to check, I believe these are 8" rims.