Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 12:37 PM

With the tank done I turned my attention to the pickup tube and sending unit.   They were rusty but the rust flaked right off in some places.  You can see how the pickup filter has broken down over the years.  These are being reproduced and readily available.  In fact, I could purchase the entire assembly brand new, ready to drop in..... for $150. 

Heep pickup tube.jpg

Thinking that is a little steep [I wouldn't pay it if it was for me]  I decided to make something that'd work just as well for about $5.  I'm going to go to the auto parts store and get some new brake line that's the same size dia. to screw right in and use that for a pickup tube.  Then I will place a generic inline fuel filter in the line in case any krudd ever gets in the system.  Could have even used the old pickup tube after I cut the old filter off, but for the time investment of blasting it clean and treating it so as to not rust again I'd just be money ahead to get new.  Brake line comes with a rust resistant coating.

Decided I'd pressure wash them first and see if they needed a date with the blast cabinet. 

Heep sending unit.jpg

With lots of bright metal showing after the pressure wash I just used a wire wheel on an angle grinder to finish the cleanup.  Thought I took a pic of the sending unit too but can't find it so musta forgot.  It looks just about the same. 

Treated them with the same sealer the tank got a couple of days ago. The float arm has rusted off the gauge,  and since there was no wire hooked to the gauge assembly when I took the tank out,  I'm not wasting any time/effort trying to make the gauge work.  I can also buy NOS military surplus gauge assembly's for $70.  Steep when there's nothing to hook it to and its not gonna work anyhow.  If this were a daily driver it'd be a lot different.  Only treated the sending unit to slow/stop and rust progression.  The gas will stay clean a lot longer if no gas can touch bare metal.  This machine sits most of the time and I have massive amounts of Seafoam in all their vehicles tanks.  This one will get a drink as well.

The plan is to reinstall the fuel tank this afternoon and see about hooking up the manual fuel pump. 

Then I'll have to look into the brakes.  hopefully they just need a bleeding [yeah right!]

• KennyP, Cvans and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#33 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Got the tank installed and hooked up.  With a good prime job the mechanical fuel pump works perfect - now that its not pumping sludge! 

Bled the brakes.  Back ones did great.  Front ones a different story.  The right front bleeder oozed a touch of fluid before it quit and I never got a drop outta the left front bleeder valve.  Brakes are a lil sticky and don't release immediately when the pedal is released - but they eventually do.  I think they'll work for low speed parade duty.  The more I drive it the better they do. 

Back at the museum today I noticed a gas smell as soon as I opened the door.  The drain plug for the tank was leaking a very slow drip.  President said to tighten it 1/4 turn more.  I drained the tank of most of the gas and backed up on the hill shown in the pic.  That made all the gas run to the front and the drain is near the rear of the tank.  Then it was just a matter of removing the plug, applying thread tape, like I should have done in the first place, and reinstall.  Didn't spill a drop this way. 

Jeep 10.jpg

Got the Jeep [and other museum vehicles] out for a bath today while the weather was nice.   I'll post a picture from today with the dust gone.  Then I'll switch over to my "continuing saga" thread found here.  Thanks for your interest! 

http://gardentractor...etimes-i-think/

• KennyP, tiretrx and toomanytoys84 have said thanks