• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 01:33 PM

The engine on my 1050 stop running and I have not had any time to work on it. I took it to a local lawn mower repair shop. First thing the guy says is "that parts for these tractors are hard to fine" I told him that Wisconsin has a local supply house in our area. And I know a guy in New York and Pennsylvania that deal in parts for them. 3 days later he calls me and tells me that the vales need to be redone, the rings need to be replaced and maybe resleeve the cylinder. And he says at 70.00 dollars an hour it going to get expensive. Called 2 more shops and again NO we can't get parts for them. So my question is, what info do I need to replace

the engine. I have a T R A 10 D on it . And what is the best replacement engine to go with . Size / brand.

Thank you

Patrick

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 01:48 PM

If it were me I'd get another TRA10D to put in there and rebuild your original engine.

If you are mechanical they are very easy to rebuild and parts are not hard to find like most shops think, just not many carry the line anymore.

If you prefer a shop to do the work you can order the parts from me you need and just give them to the shop???

• boyscout862 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 02:02 PM

Shame you don't need the TR10d as I have one complete rebuilt ready to go for $350.

• Alc and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#4 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 962 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 02:25 PM

Unfortunately that is the all too common response from most small engine "repair" shops and dealers. Even if you source and obtain the parts for yourself and take it to one of these shops, they will likely gouge you on the labor side of it, or worse, screw it up. It happens too often, sadly, considering these engines really are quite simple compared to the new engines. Many modern shops don't want to deal with the liability of rebuilding an engine any more. The line of "the cylinder needs re-sleeved" would make me run for the hills. Not saying it can't be done, but it is not typical on these old cast iron blocks.

You'll likely have more time and work involved in adapting a modern engine than you would to repair what you already have or replace it with another Wisconsin TRA10D.
  • Bolens 1000, boyscout862, Little Irish Men and 1 other said thanks

#5 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 03:26 PM

I would love to replace it with a T R A 10 D , But I must be in the middle of B & S  country . With Oscar Wilson just down the road . I can't fine any used  Wisconsin engine around here.

Patrick.

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 06:43 PM

Shame you don't need the TR10d as I have one complete rebuilt ready to go for $350.

What's the diff between the TR and the TRA?

• Little Irish Men said thank you

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 06:48 PM