• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Trying to cure a malfunction, possibly ground related, on one of our GT's brought to mind something which a few may identify with.

We've had our place for well over 30 years. During the first 20 years or so, nearly every year during storm related lightning we would get at least 1 if not more major hits...no one else in the area did with as much regularity. More than once I mentioned it seemed we were ground zero for lightning strikes. No one, not even the power company, had a possible cause. The power company's attempted remedy was to drive in extensions on the existing ground rod.

The circuit in our area begins over 5 miles away and encompasses the homes etc. of several property owners. The run, considered (labeled) as a "main" by the power company extends 300 feet into our property and terminates at the pole in our East pasture. In fact we have a 10 foot easement all the way back to another planned easement across the back property line.

About 10 years ago, I was removing trees along side the easement leading to the aforementioned pole. I managed to get a pull rope up into and around 2 trees in the same instance, not intended but figured I could use the situation to take them both down at the same time.

Well, bad idea! Would have been feasible had I studied the situation a bit more but, as it was, not a good idea.

Strain was put on the rope and the trees were somewhat gathered together. Problem was: The wrap was a tad too low on the wrong tree. When I cut, rather began to cut, the weight from the top of the tree caused a barber chair break before the cut was even a quarter of the way through. 

The tree pivoted at the wrap point and landed on top of the 17k run which resulted in the top 10 feet, transformer and all of the pole snapping off, sparks everywhere and over 200 homes without power.

I had always thought the transformers were of steel construction...nada. This one had a plastic body, and when it hit the ground the top came off spilling the liquid inside.

To shorten this up a tad...at 3:00 in the morning the power company, by driving and parking their huge truck-pole trailer and all- into a spot behind our neighbor's shop, pulled the old pole, installed a new pole, transformer and all.

Now to the subject...The ground rod for that pole was over 60 feet long! Duh, no wonder we had experienced so many lightning hits. We were the end of the run, period.

Food for thought if any members are experiencing similar circumstances during lightning associated storms.

• Gtractor, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 01:56 PM

Accidentally posted twice.  

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,015 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 02:10 PM

Roving grounds can be a very bad deal if not resolved. I know of a family that was getting shocked in their shower. Grounded all the water pipes and it didn't help. Turned out a neighbor had a fencer hooked to the yard pole ground 200 Ft. away. Big no no  :(

Glad you got your fixed before someone was killed. 

Edited by Cvans, July 26, 2016 - 02:12 PM.

• Phluphy said thank you

#4 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 02:34 PM

60 FEET - I would like to watch someone drive that in the ground---Glad you didn't get hurt when everything hit the fan--also hope they didn't charge you for the damage.

• Phluphy said thank you

#5 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 11:15 PM

60 FEET - I would like to watch someone drive that in the ground---Glad you didn't get hurt when everything hit the fan--also hope they didn't charge you for the damage.

It was in 10' sections, threaded together if I recall correctly, they kept screwing the top sections on.

For years I wondered what to do with this 5/8 solid copper rod. Bit bent and corkscrewed after their auger found it. Turns out it isn't copper, rather, copper clad steel so it appears. One undamaged section made a great probe for locating sewer taps, septic tanks etc. Rest of it, as I recall may still be laying out there.

Nope, no questions asked, no bill, said, "have a good night", and left. Neighbor was on vacation, never knew a thing until I told him.

• MH81 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Roving grounds can be a very bad deal if not resolved. I know of a family that was getting shocked in their shower. Grounded all the water pipes and it didn't help. Turned out a neighbor had a fencer hooked to the yard pole ground 200 Ft. away. Big no no  :(

Glad you got your fixed before someone was killed. 

Not sure of what a roving ground is but, at one time, cannot recall when it was, we would get zapped if standing on the floor register in front of our kitchen stove. Mentioned it to the people doing warranty repairs on our floor covering. They blocked the vent off and nothing more was done. From what you've stated here I gather it was a band-aid form of cover-up.

Thanks

• MH81 said thank you