X300 Purchase Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmath OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84052
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 10:59 AM

After perusing a few forums it seems the overwhelming advice would be to buy a used X300 or higher level JD over a big box store version. Based on that I've been looking at used JD the last week or so and came across the following. Would appreciate any tips or advice on which is the better deal.

X300 - 172 hrs w/ set of new blades and a set of extra blades - $1,695

X300 - 70 hrs w/ Bagger & 10S wagon - Listed @ $2,300, but willing to come down ~$2,100

I don't think I really have any use for the bagger, but would use the wagon. Seller doesn't want to separate out the bagger from the mower. Both have been stored indoors and appear to be in good shape. I plan to go see these in person and test them out prior to making a decision. So based off the difference in hours and the available accessories which would be the better deal? Even tho I don't need the bagger I could turn around and sell and have a mower with lower hours, or just save the hassle and the $400 and take the other?

Of course this could all change based on seeing in person, but just on paper any thoughts are appreciated.

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, July 26, 2016 - 11:36 AM.
Added Photo

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 11:34 AM

Welcome to GTtalk. It depends on what you want and what you're doing with it. I love using all my older Garden tractors for mowing and tilling. If you are just mowing, a lawn tractor will do the job just fine. Nothing you buy today will last  like the older stuff does. I am still using a 1973 Auto14 Wheel Horse on a weekly basis to mow and odd jobs, never fails to do the job for me.

Good Luck !!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 MiCarl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 75926
  • 681 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 11:34 AM

I wouldn't have any use for a bagger either.  I like to let the clippings enrich the soil.....

I'm not sure how much difference 100 hours makes on that tractor, I'm sure others weigh in.  Assuming they're both in good condition the one with higher hours seems like the better deal to me.

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,460 Thanks
  • 7,347 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 12:56 PM

Welcome to GTT. My old JD111 has a bagger and I love it. The clippings fill the isles between rows in my garden. The bagger helps alot with picking up leaves in the fall. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 26, 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#5 jms180 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 860 Thanks
  • 1,154 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 05:57 PM

The X300 is a good machine for mowing. They are built much better than big box store Deere .

• Alc said thank you