Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Estate Sale Last Saturday with a few pictures.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 08:52 AM

I went to a estate sale over the weekend in Newark Valley NY. The property was full of outbuildings packed with old farm equipment and whatever the owner thought too good to toss. There was also a large barn/shop with thousands of items. The auctioneer said they were selling the contents of the shop first and then would move to the equipment. Well by noon they weren't 1/2 way through the shop. I was going to leave. Then they said they would start another auction for the equipment so I stuck around.

The equipment was whatever the owner had scrounged it appeared. 4 Maytag motors, 4 Hit & Miss engines. Several old motors. Shellers, Ice Cream Churns, Washing Machines, Implements of all kinds, a dozen garden tractors, a drag saw and finally about 20 walk behinds.

The biggest problem with the auction was they would group all of the similar items together or a row and then offer the highest bidder pick. So in the case of the Maytag motors they went for 125.00 ( 3 of them were 2 cylinder) and the high bidder said he wanted all 4. So much for that.  

There were some really rare and seldom seen walk behinds.

Mower.jpg

simar.jpg

simar2.jpg

The big reel mower got 60.00. The Simar ( I have never heard if this brand ) fetched 30.00.

There was a nice Bolens that went for 55.00

bolens.jpg

2 Rototillers. They sold for 125.00 each. I wanted one but the reality is it was just too large a machine to drag home.

roto.jpg

There were many others, most in rather rough shape. They went from 5 bucks up to maybe 30.00.

I did purchase 1 piece. A Planet JR. It really appeared to be in pretty good shape.

planetjr.jpg

planetjr2.jpg

It was a really fun day and the estate really was a treasure trove of neat farm stuff.

I got the Planet JR. running yesterday. The owner had the forethought to fill the crankcase Full of diesel fuel. The motor was free with no spark. The fuel tank was clean and dry. Spark problem was no gap on the points. As near as I could tell the points and condenser were new. A bit of gas and she started on the 3rd pull. Where can I find a set of chains for this little thing? I could use it in the garden.

• earthgrinder, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 9 others have said thanks

#2 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 349 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 09:45 AM

Any old tire chains can be modified to fit. Did you catch what the forge in the first picture went for  Don

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 10:10 AM

45.00 for the forge if I remember correctly.

• boyscout862 and secondtry have said thanks

#4 Columbia236 ONLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 03:01 PM

Hi Steve Thanks for the pictures . The large reel mower engine is a Briggs W or WA probably a Moto Mower  , someone got a very good buy on that   Chuck   

#5 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 03:37 PM

The biggest problem with the auction was they would group all of the similar items together or a row and then offer the highest bidder pick. So in the case of the Maytag motors they went for 125.00 ( 3 of them were 2 cylinder) and the high bidder said he wanted all 4. So much for that.  

Thats how they get you.If you want something when they sell like that you better be ready to be high bidder.

I saw that auction on craigslist. told my dad about it sunday then realized the auction was saturday.He has been looking for a massey harris 2 bottom plow.They had one at this auction. Did you see what that brought by any chance?

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 349 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 05:15 PM

45.00 for the forge if I remember correctly.

My experience says that is dirt cheep Thanks    Don

#7 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 09:22 AM

Columbia, It was a Moto Mower. They said it was the first mower the Newark Valley school district ever purchased.

CK, I will tell you it did not bring more than 30.00. They had Woods 3pt. mowers. They went for 50.00 each. That was as high as any of the implements went for the most part.

• Columbia236 said thank you

#8 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted July 26, 2016 - 11:33 AM

I posted about this auction  in the craigslit forum, couldn't make it to this one, I am familiar with that auctioneer, surprised there were any deals on equipment as he is also an equipment dealer.  There is a big one in August in Binghamton, NY, here's a link.

http://www.manasseau...viceAuction.htm