• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • Member No: 77395
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 10:12 PM

So long story short I was looking around Hutchinson this weekend to see who was still making b seats and apparently no one is. The lady in Indiana apparently stopped and wells implement is selling the last of them so I may try and get them made else where. A guy in our car club has a tarp business but makes just about anything fabric related so I pitched I'm the idea to redo b seats and reproduce them and he's game. So is anyone here interested if we do get this off the ground? I know I need a couple and if itd help alot of people I think it'd be worth it

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 06:40 AM

You may try Sandy Lake Implement in Sandy Lake PA
They were having them made and selling them as well.
Don't know who was making them tho.
  • Orange appeal said thank you

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 07:15 AM

In the Simp/Allis circles, folks buy Mary's seats very often.  She would make any part needed or the whole she-bang.  It's sad to hear she's done, but I can't blame her.  She helped a lot of folks for a lot of years.  I have several of her seats here.

What made her (and Wells) sucessfull at selling these, was workd of mouth confirmation from collectors that her product was a near perfect match to OEM.  The material used, cut, size, design was all made to mimic OEM seats.  I've seen lots of look-a-likes that just stand out as 'homemade' to me.  I think you would struggle to sell any like Mary did, if the appearance was something someone with a sewing machine, scissors and a stapler could make themselves.  Her prices were very reasonable to...probably tough to beat from an upholsterer who is not doing the work to 'help' collectors.

Wells seats are probably even closer to OEM spec, but are made by an upholstery shop, and more costly as a result of the tight spec and 3rd party costs.  Wells has simply shifted some of their business priorities, with changes in family ownership, so the lawn & garden folks are no longer associated with the business.  That's a sad loss as well.

All that being said, there is a strong appetite for these seats, if done well.  I guess I should have kept the nos seats I sold last year!  They were actually tough to get rid of, since the reproductions were done so well, and inexpensively.

• Orange appeal said thank you

#4 Orange appeal OFFLINE  

Orange appeal
  • Member No: 77395
  • 294 Thanks
  • 223 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 08:11 AM

Well as a collector's stand point i agree it has to be done right or no one will want it. My guy is very good he does ok cars and even re did his tip for is buck le sabre convertible and it looks pretty close to original so he know what he's doing. Getting to to match the original is what I'd like to focus on. I'm not gonna profit from this I just want to have another source for people like us. I seen her seats yesterday and i agree they are amazing quality but I'm sure it's alot of work. Any suggestions help or advice would be much appreciated as you guys are more of experts than I am. I'm gonna bring him two styles and well see if he can do a prototype and go from there. I've been hunting for seats for months now and can't seem to find any I Like all mine are missing the arm rests so I just figured well maybe my buddy can start supplies again.

#5 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,163 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 11:24 AM

Having sewn up a few seat covers over the past two years for various Bolens models and a couple off of GE Electraks I will add my comments - http://gardentractor...-tractor-seats/  - http://gardentractor...lec-trak-seats/ .  You will have to provide a product made out of good quality materials at a reasonable price to attract much interest - most customers that will want and be willing to spend the money on an oem style seat will be doing a complete restoration as opposed to someone who just wants a seat to sit on.  One of the advantages I have being located in Canada is that the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar works in my favour but is offset to a certain extent by the cost of shipping.  Make sure any upholstery products you use are suitable for cold weather exposure as less expensive vinyl can sometimes crack on a cold winters day. Good luck.

• MH81 and Orange appeal have said thanks