• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 08:34 PM

I just got what was advertised as a "3 point" but I think is really a "sleeve hitch" for my GT19.

I have never had one like this, but I had a couple of 3 point versions on some of the old Sears SS/ST/Suburbans I have had in years past. I remember after Roper closed/sold out, (who had built the majority of GTs for Sears for many years)  from then on, Sears would push the "sleeve" hitch more.   The 3 points I had, were manual operated/ and would really wear you out/// esp when you had something like a tiller with its own seperate engine on the back.... I had come across an electric actuator for one of these once,  while I was "between tractors" so I sold it....

Fast forward to now, and I have an Ariens GT19 that I got initially just as a "mule" to move my popup camper and my utility trailer around, as my yard is really not big enough for a big GT.... but I love playing with them anyways. and this one I would like to be a keeper,  with its hydro trans, 19HP Kohler twin, super heavy frame, front/mid and rear PTO and hyd. lift at all 3 positions to boot! (difficulty finding attachments for it is fighting that notion, though)

problem being, the hydro fluid fill elbow is too close to the hitch shank hole and I cannot get the edge of the coupling onto a hitch ball unless I leave the nut loose/barely on the ball shank.

strangely, I also have a New Holland S14 which is supposed to be the same tractor as the Ariens  but yet I can get  the same trailer coupler on a ball using the same hole on the NH, without issue..... a little low to the ground but still works better than what is on the GT19. I wound up bolting an "extension" onto the hitch ball hole to offset the hitch ball farther back so i could pull the popup camper out of its hole and into the driveway, since the S14 is stored 30 miles away....

I have seen pix on here both in the search files and just coming up now and then just from hanging out for as long as I have here, and they sure do not look like the one that I just got!

The other pix that I can remember have adjustable lower links and chains between the lower links.

This hitch has none of that.... but there are 3 choices of holes in those lower draft arms.

I answered a CL ad today in a neighboring CL area for a GT18 that was being parted, and claimed to have a "3 point hitch" on it so I took a ride today to see; I got it, sure/  again can't find nothing for these units around here so you gotta get what's out there when it pops up. ..  but for what it is, this hitch doesn't seem as durable-looking as a traditional 3 point.

2 thin (probably 0.090" thick) links that go up to the lift arms on each side, and a U shaped yoke made of 2, 1/4" thick X2-ish" wide X 16-ish" long bars,  welded to a piece of 2" X1/4" thick angle iron making the bottom of the U.  these connect between the frame and rear end at the bottom. and a sleeve-piece of 1/2" pipe right in the middle of the angle iron...

The links that go to the lift arms also attach via hitch pins about 2/3 of the way to the angle iron cross piece. No chains, nothing to the center top link, which appears to be directly in line with the rear PTO shaft anyway.... no adjustable link other than the hydraulic lift but no side to side. .

given the stickers on the angle iron part of the draft yoke, it is not home made!

I had an S16-H basket case years ago, that I could not do anything with at the time, due to being out of work/injured at the time// so I wound up passing it down the road; the Hell of it is, that I passed a 3 point hitch and a rear mount tiller along with it, that I now wish that I had back.... (the package went to Ohio somewhere near Dayton,OH. I had to meet the buyer along the road near Lafayette IN... this was about 5-6 years ago. sound familiar to anyone here?)

but I don't remember the configuration of that 3 point.  (I know that S16-H was a 1976, may just matter what was offered at different points thru the timeline of these machines)

so is this setup as strong as a regular 3 point for ground engaging plows and heavy tillers?

one single attachment point don't seem as strong as 2 attachment points as with a traditional 3 point.

I have plans for a modification already, as I see a limitation to this sleeve hitch as  provided;

that being, the sleeve cannot float as the rear lift is activated.

my plans are to use the lift links as provided with this hitch, then get some 1/4" X 2" flat bar, cut to similar length as the legs of the draft "u"  then take a piece of solid 1"X2" steel bar (because i have it laying here) and drill a 3/4" diam hole and a 1/2" hole about 2" each side of center, end-drill the solid bar on both ends, cut off the heads from a pair of 1/2" X 2" bolts then put those into the end drilled holes, and tack weld them in... then attach that to my new draft arms with a nut on each end so that the tool bar can float/rotate as the lift is activated.... this will put my hitch ball out far away from the tractor to eliminate the interference, and a 1/2" hole for a hitch pin for attachments that take such a connection....

Edited by dodge trucker, July 24, 2016 - 08:35 PM.

• shorty said thank you

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,946 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 09:24 PM

The NH and the GT19 have slightly different rears. I think the NH might have a 45° elbow on the fill and your later GT19 is a 90. Which brings it out closer to the hitch.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 09:27 PM

I know the hydro is a vickers on the NH and the GT has a Sunstrand. but that's just the hydro; which bolts on the front of the rear end, the fill is in back.   What you say about a 45* or 90* does make sense but I think these both have 90's on them,,,, but the NH isn't here right now to verify/deny that.

any thoughts on the rest? Sleeve vs 3 point?

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 10:25 PM

DT, going to give you two pics to think about building your own three point.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#5 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 10:58 PM

I have the plans for a 3 pt somewhere. Built one a few years ago. Now I have 2 of them laying around here.
I'll do some looking, see if I can find them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
  • shorty said thank you

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,946 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 04:58 AM

Ariens did make a sleeve hitch for the 931 series. Usually sleeve hitch attachments are smaller and lighter built than the 3pt attachments. Any pics of it?

Edited by shorty, July 25, 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 05:52 AM

Shorty, no, I don't have pix, can take a couple but not so sure about posting them.... have talked about that issue more than once...

and buzzmaster/Wm McNett, I seem to remember seeing drawings and such for a 3 point to fit these machines but I couldn't find it when I did a search here yesterday after I bought it and brought it home..... I'm definitely thinking that I could have made what I got, cheaper than what I paid for it now that I see it..

what are the dimensions of the turnbuckles used for these, ones I see in the farm stores seem too big. In fact I ran into that when I was gonna build one for one of my old Sears machines. but that was ~15 years ago.

AT this time if I make that tool bar that I talked about in the 1st post, I think that what I have will do anything that I would need to do.

down the road who knows?

• shorty said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Here's a manual we have for a 3-point.

• shorty and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 10:19 AM

Iirc, the plans are an exploded parts diagram with someone's chicken scratch dimensions on it.
Found it in one of the many tractor forums.
the draft arms? are ⅜x1½" -15" center to center, ½" lift hole is centered, ⅝ ball socket welded on at a 10° angle.
Lift links ⅛ or 3/16x1¼“ U's, ⅝ threaded rod rh & lh, nuts welded to ¾ black pipe.
Top link is ¾ and 1" pipe.
Haven't had time to look. Someday I'll be retired
Didn't give much detail. Cross chains shouldn't be too hard.

• KennyP and shorty have said thanks

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 11:46 AM

Top link is not worth making yourself, as you can usually find one for $20 new at a farm store.
The lift links are disappointingly short in my opinion. Mine are adjusted as long as I dare and they only let the arms get to about 8" off the ground. But they do get a plow quite a ways out of the ground the way they are set up. If you want me to, I can measure my hitch as it is a brand new Ariens kit that I bought new.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 12:14 PM

The top link was what I couldn't find any of when I was playing with the sears machines.
  • 1964Deere said thank you

#12 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Here's where I bought the ball sockets
http://www.xtrememot...rts 3 Point.htm

#13 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 02:16 PM

Guess what I found
Yahoo groups
https://groups.yahoo...Equipment/files

4915da5bfecc273c8760bdecbeb8cdd9.jpg

Hard to believe some of these groups are still active, most I belonged to died years ago.

https://groups.yahoo...equipment/files

• KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 02:28 PM

Guess what I found
Yahoo groups
https://groups.yahoo...Equipment/files

4915da5bfecc273c8760bdecbeb8cdd9.jpg

Hard to believe some of these groups are still active, most I belonged to died years ago.

https://groups.yahoo...equipment/files

How soon do you want me to make this a PDF and upload? It needs saved!

• Wm McNett, jpackard56 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#15 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 02:33 PM

This will give you some sizes not listed for threaded rod and nuts.

Attached Files