5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 01:32 PM

For those that don't know about it, RAGBRAI  stands for Registers (capital city news paper) Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa.  Imagine trying to go anywhere during the day (6 am to 7 pm) with many roads closed to vehicles for the riders, all 20,000 of them. 
The ride started this morning from Glenwood on the West border near the Missouri River and ends Saturday night at the Mississippi River at Muscatine.  One team lost their RV when the volunteer driver drove the rented 11' high unit under an 8' underpass.  (Must be what low clearance means?)  Another member of the team from Florida found a crack in his bike frame and went home early.  Another participant was killed about 6:30am when he was hit from behind by a pickup.

I have to have our Historical Site open from 10 am to 2 pm, 1/2 block off the designated route.  Notice I said designated.  20K bike riders already know which route out of town they want to take that is the easiest, not the way the City Fathers want them to go which is up and down 3 more hills just to get them to turn at the Johnny Carson birth place?.  NOT going to happen but will have the facility open just in case.

One Pizza place along the route is closed to the public and is taking RAGBRAI orders only.  That is the thanks for supporting them the rest of the year.  Sure glad I live 10 miles out and NOT close to their route.

For route information google   'ragbrai route'

Edited by chieffan, July 24, 2016 - 01:33 PM.

• Gtractor, CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 02:29 PM

Sounds like a major annoyance to me. Mu h like our week like "jamboree in the hills" that brings in herds of drunks for a week.

Local beer sales soar
  • Gtractor, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,630 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 04:26 PM

Looks like a bunch of headache to me.   I know it generates money to the communities they go through. 

We had a ride come through this town in late June.  Wasn't much "gain" for the town figured into the schedule even tough we were an overnight stop.  The city opened the biggest city park for overnight camping for the riders.  Turned out so hot the local motels were full up for one night so that was OK.  I suppose the eatin' establishments were full that evening too.  I avoided town on purpose - as usual.

Our museum opened special hours that evening.  I doubt they had many visitors. 

• boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Your both right.  Last time they came through here was in '95.  I was Chief then and it was a royal pain in the butt.  Easy to control the fights though.  Winner went to jail and looser went to the hospital.  The one wild bar rolled out a strip of plastic and had a beer slide.  We stayed clear away from that.  Wheels wanted us and the Sheriff's Dept to work day and half the night.  WRONG.  I talked to the Fire Chief and said if things get out of hand your getting a call.  His reply was I'll be ready.  Didn't need him.

• Gtractor said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 06:36 PM

In this heat they must have been dropping like flies.

#6 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,409 Thanks
  • 1,544 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 08:32 PM

We had one that went by our house when we were in PA, just a time trial though, couldn't get out of our driveway easily(they couldn't stop us from doing so and using the road), it wasn't anything but a pain in the butt.