6 replies to this topic

#1 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 11:06 AM

I have to think about clearing out some space.  I posted this thing a month or so ago when I first got it.  It seems to be about as rare as a newer mower can be.  The serial # is 0100141, which seems to mean it was about the 41st one produced and the first model to carry the Troy Bilt name after they acquired Bolens around 1988.  It is in very nice shape and shows signs of very little use.  The mower deck is very nice also.  I have never seen another one, nor can I find any pics on the internet of the actual model.  I am asking $1,000.  PM me if interested.  I also have some other pretty cool Bolens stuff I am considering selling.  I am in Central Ky.   Tim

Attached Thumbnails

• 0609162028_HDR.jpg
  • 0609162028a_HDR.jpg
  • 0609162029_HDR.jpg
  • 0609162029a_HDR.jpg
  • 0609162029b_HDR.jpg
  • 0609162032a_HDR.jpg

• shorty and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 11:56 AM

Sharp looking tractor - - except for the key fob. Kind of clashes with the red & white. :wave:    :rolling:

• Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 01:59 PM

Seen 1 exactly like it for sale on Craigslist a month ago for $600.Forget where it was exactly but I think it was out around Harrisburg Pa.

Nice looking tractor.

Here's a smaller one with the same paint scheme.

http://pittsburgh.cr...5653356346.html

• TimW said thank you

#4 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 02:13 PM

I have seen several of the "Duratrac" ones, seems like you see as many of them as you do in the Bolens colors.  I think the odd thing about this one is it is the old XL or Eliminator body, which was discontinued about the same year as Troy Bilt or Gardenway took over Bolens.  

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 03:45 PM

Bet they were allready built and sitting in the warehouse or built from the parts they allready had in stock.Assembly lines would of been allready set up for them so they just changed the color scheme and decals.Production numbers should be pretty low on all of them if that's the case.

Was wondering where Gardenway came from.My lawn tractor is a Gardenway and has a tag on it that says Built by Troy Bilt on a small sticker.Then has the model numbers 13AQ617H118 - MTD Lawn Tractor (2003) (Sam's Club) When I needed a deck belt and idler pulley it came up with AYP part numbers.

Rather confusing when you need parts for 1.lol

Edited by EricFromPa, July 24, 2016 - 03:46 PM.

#6 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 04:13 PM

If I am not mistaken, Gardenway's first products were the Horse Tillers, they were made by Gardenway of Troy NY.  So, it was Gardenway that purchased Bolens, Troy Bilt was a Gardenway brand, hence the Troy NY factory building them.  Then, Gardenway sold out everything to MTD, which gave them everything Gardenway had purchased, I thin around 2002.  Anyhow, about every older Troy Bilt tiller I have seen has Gardenway stamped on it.  So, what I think happened, was what EricfromPa said above.  Gardenway or Troy Bilt never planned on keeping this line going, so while they were firing up the Duratrac style that Bolens was already working on, they took a few remaining Eliminator style tractors and tried out the new paint scheme.  But as always, I may be wrong.  My tractor is no different than the Bolens 1600, it is just in pretty remarkable shape and may be only one of a couple of hundred made like this.  I was not sure what to ask for it, but I have seen ordinary and common Bolens 1600's is less shape have a similar asking price.  What Bolens fan would't pay a small premium to have this setting in their collection.  Or at least that was what I was thinking when I put it in mine.   :rocker:

• MH81 said thank you

#7 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 09:57 PM

I've never seen one of these either, but it looks exactly like a rebranded Bolens.  I know there were many companies that acquired others throughout the years, but I can't say for sure who owns who nowadays.  Is Troy Built and Bolens both under the MTD name now?  I'm too young to be this cynical, but these great brands sure aren't built like they used to be.  I highly doubt I'd ever buy any new MTD crap.  I'll stick to my old oddball stuff like my MF/Snapper 1655 and 1855, Bolens Grounds Keeper and Estate Keeper, and my old John Deere F510 before all the mainstream "zero turn" scene was the bandwagon everyone wanted to jump on (and spend an arm and a leg doing so).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale