• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 09:01 AM

I found a leak from the spool valve when I moved the outer lever. I got under the tractor to see what was going on and found that the shaft (rod) that goes into the spool valve was coming out when the handle is pulled back.

I am pretty sure that there is supposed to be something holding this rod inside the valve body to keep it from coming out but I have no clue what to do here.

I already removed the spool valve from the tractor and have it in the shop. Is there a video or tutorial somewhere that shows how to work on these things?? Where do you get parts??

#2 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 989 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 09:49 AM

When you say rod I assume you are talking about the spool? Usually pretty straight forward, most are held in with a spring clip. You will need new packing and backing rings if required for your valve. You should be able to obtain them at any hydraulics vendor in your area, just bring them your parts and they will be able to give you a replacement that won't cost you the exorbitant price JD would charge you. I think you could bring them the whole assembly and most shops will help you if it is beyond your comfort level for disassembly, but like said before pretty simple parts, just make sure you get packings made for hydraulics or you will be doing this again shortly.

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 10:08 AM

The end of the spool with the cover that is opposite where the actuator hooks to is where the spool is retained into the valve.  Either a clip or a screw into the end of the spool.

And yes get new seals.

#4 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 10:31 AM

If I take this valve to the John Deere dealer what can I expect to pay for new seals and such for this thing??

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 11:33 AM

First Born! Our dealers around here are over $100+ an hour.

Try a local hydraulic shop.  Check references and get quote.  We have one around here that is a rip off.

I think you could handle it yourself and just get the parts you need.  Check JD for a kit and price.  You could also get them by pieces from a hydraulic shop.  This would be the cheapest.  A good shop would probably send you out the door, parts in hand and no bill for just a couple of orings.

#6 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:54 PM

First Born! Our dealers around here are over $100+ an hour.

Try a local hydraulic shop.  Check references and get quote.  We have one around here that is a rip off.

I think you could handle it yourself and just get the parts you need.  Check JD for a kit and price.  You could also get them by pieces from a hydraulic shop.  This would be the cheapest.  A good shop would probably send you out the door, parts in hand and no bill for just a couple of orings.

We have one hydraulic shop in town and one JD dealer about 30 miles away. I would only try to get the parts and do this myself.  Need to learn it anyway.

So, do you think the parts kit from JD would be expensive?

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 01:04 PM

I just looked and can not really see a 'kit'. Says this is a Cessna valve, so should be east to find parts for. Think it is held in with a snap ring, so that probably failed.

#8 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 01:28 PM

I just looked and can not really see a 'kit'. Says this is a Cessna valve, so should be east to find parts for. Think it is held in with a snap ring, so that probably failed.

Thanks Kenny.

I will take this to the hydro shop tomorrow to see what they can do as far as parts go.

#9 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 02:56 PM

I believe that is the same valve that Massey uses.  If you push the retainer down there is a horse shoe clip that holds the spool.

If you run into any problems be sure to let use know.  My a day or two before I can get back as we are in the middle of 3rd crop right now.  Down today due to an inch of rain last night.