• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:29 AM

Dropping and dragging the decks out from the Craftsman GT's is getting to be a pain in the back.

Anyone fabricated a dolly with low swiveling castors to make the task easier? Catch is "low swiveling castors" and how to mount them on 3/4 plywood platform, have 1 x 1/4" carriage bolts that should work for attaching if right castors can be located. 

• propane1 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 05:48 AM

Creeper casters any good, or two small rollers, just a thought.

Noel
  • Phluphy said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 06:35 AM

I have an old overhead wagon hoist, thew kind used many years ago on the farm to raise the front of the wagon to dump the grain into an elevator.  Have 2 T chain hoist hanging in the center.  I raise the front of the tractors to what ever height I need to remove the deck or anything else that may need doing.  Only takes about 8" off the ground and the deck slides out and back in without obstructions.  Now I want to make channel iron about 30" long, 2 chains with heavy hooks on the end and ring in the center on top for the chain hoist hook.  That way I can hook the front axle and keep the chains for scratching the hood or bending it.  Photos later.  Still dark out.

• KennyP and Phluphy have said thanks

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 918 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 07:57 AM

I bought a small electric hoist from harbor freight. I use old deck belts wrapped around each front wheel axle and lift front after removing hangers and roll deck out.

• Phluphy said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Is this one of good uses for those lawm-mower lifts everyone has to sell now days?  Front tires up on it in holders, you crank or pump and lifts the tractor.  Was thinking more for blades and cleaning, but might work for getting at deck too??  Hmm! Maybe the legs would be too much in way?? Bet not.  Harbor Freight now has one for only $89 with coupon.  Have that setting on desk, but needed better reason to even get one, heh!

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:23 PM

I'm one of the goons that unpins the deck then drives over it....

I hate trying to drag a deck through gravel or dirt.

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:31 PM

I guess I am spoiled with the drive over deck. Unlatch and drive away, it did come with two little ramps to make it easier.
  • toomanytoys84 and Gillis.jim have said thanks

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 09:18 PM

Did and done. Had casters in misc. parts area, aka, coffee cans with lids...no one knows what's in 'em and they aren't marked but never throw anything away. Today I dug out the casters, fixed but figured giving them a try wouldn't hurt. 8 carriage bolts, few holes drilled and it worked.

Up on lift, rolled it straight in, down with lift, dropped deck on platform, pulled pins, rolled straight out. No sweat broke, no back strain. These are trundle type casters, worked, but, thinking swivel type would be an improvement. Not that hard to jockey about as is though. Wasn't like lifting and dragging on concrete. 

All good.

Took a couple pics but can't see any major detail. Will add another tomorrow. Not rocket science. But it works.

Deck dolly position 1.jpg Deck dolly position 2.jpg

Edited by Phluphy, July 24, 2016 - 09:19 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 05:36 AM

If you had 2 swivels on one end, it might help. All 4 may make it hard to pull straight out of there.

• Phluphy said thank you

#10 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 10:35 AM

If you had 2 swivels on one end, it might help. All 4 may make it hard to pull straight out of there.

Right you are.

Thanks

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Well, guess you HAVE the lift!  I keep wanting to try one, but wonder if be used. SO, here's another reason to have one I guess! Which brand is yours and is OK?  I have seen some of those almost brand new at shows and the lift screw bearings or other problems with them and broken. They still want more money than I wished to pay for one to fix tho, so have passed.