• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnstp4 OFFLINE  

Johnstp4
  • Member No: 84022
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 05:01 PM

I am the proud new owner of a 1970 ish gravely L8 walk behind. I rebuilt the carb new head gasket and cleaned and set the gap on the points. It's a pull start so I put about a half gallon of fresh gas in it and tried to start it. After 3 good pulls it fired up and ran beutifuly. I turned it off and tried to start it back a minute or so latter. After 3 hours of pulling it still won't start. All it will do pop like it's going to start as long as I'm turning the crank but it won't start. I have electric blue spark at the plug and gas. Is it a mag problem or a carb or what? Any help will greatly appreciated.

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. Have you checked to see if your getting gas to the cylinder? 

#3 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,297 Thanks
  • 1,096 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 06:35 PM

If your spark is good, and not intermittent, you could probably rule that out. If it is intermittent, points and condensor are likey need replacing.

Once you are sure ING. components are working properly, tty puting a lil gas down the hole, and starting it. If it starts, Id say it is carb related, if it doesnt, I would look for a sticky valve, or run a compression test on it. Cheers

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 07:20 PM

If you know your getting gas, I suspect faulty condenser or breaker points

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,717 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 07:27 PM

I have electric blue spark at the plug and gas. Is it a mag problem or a carb or what? Any help will greatly appreciated.

My rule of thumb on spark is that you need at least 5 times the plug gap outside the cylinder to be able to fire the plug against compression. If that passes, have you tried a new plug? I didn't see it mentioned.

• Gtractor said thank you

#6 Johnstp4 OFFLINE  

Johnstp4
  • Member No: 84022
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 03:00 PM

Thank you all for the help. I have checked compression and it runing between 75 and 80 lbs. I thought about the fuel issue so I tried to pour a little gas down the cylinder and then try to start it with the same effect, only putters whyle I'm turning the fly wheel and then nothing. I'm going Tuesday to pick up new condinser and points as a gravely mechanic sed that may the issue.

#7 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted July 25, 2016 - 07:39 AM

One simple check is after pulling six or eight times, and it doesn't start, pull the plug and see if it's wet with fuel or dry. Dry, no fuel. Wet, no spark. Not the end all, but a starting point. Good luck, keep us posted.