Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Windmill build (Not hillbilly engineering) Pic heavy

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 05:12 AM

Is there a provision for limiting speed or turning it out of the wind when wind speed gets to high. I had a cheep bolt together that self destructed in a stiff breeze. Never did find all the parts. Don

Not that I know of.  They don't mention anything like that.  I put it in a place where it gets wind but not the full brunt but we'll just have to see what happens.  I'll take the head off for the winter when the winds would be at their worst anyway.

#17 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 05:35 AM

Jeff , job well done m8 , all you need now is a little trough to go with it to play the part or even a small water tank look-a-like 

Shane

• David Brown said thank you

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 07:24 AM

Jeff , job well done m8 , all you need now is a little trough to go with it to play the part or even a small water tank look-a-like 

Shane

Thanks! Actually this same outfit has kits to build water tanks scaled to match the mill.  I want to build one of those in the future but we'll see how that goes.  I'll post the website for this place later on.  They have some really nice stuff.

• KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 08:03 AM

I have a 4' that my folks had for several years.  We have had it for about 10 years now.  Have replaced the bearings for the fan twice and rebuilt the swivel block once.  It is till standing and turning good.  Things last when you take care of them.

Is there a provision for limiting speed or turning it out of the wind when wind speed gets to high. I had a cheep bolt together that self destructed in a stiff breeze. Never did find all the parts. Don

I have an 8' HF one. Bearings went out and made some plastic inserts to replace them. Works real good, but can vibrate the small bolts out of the frame works with some of the wind we have around here.

I am going to build a platform for it to sit on and mount this small pump under it. I left the can there so you can see the size of it. Thinking about making it a water feature, using a small pump and a tube up into the spout. That would be pretty cool.

DSCN1997.JPG

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#20 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, how about a link to that company. I might have to look into that. My local Rural King farm store has some bigger wood ones shown inside that seemed better made. Wonder if same place??  I'll check name on them. Those are ready built, not kits or plans. We always wanted one, but just never looked into it, figured they would not last many years.  Maybe this one different?

#21 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 349 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 11:02 AM

Not that I know of.  They don't mention anything like that.  I put it in a place where it gets wind but not the full brunt but we'll just have to see what happens.  I'll take the head off for the winter when the winds would be at their worst anyway.

My Grandfather's wind mill that I claimed up about 60 years ago had a provision for turning the tail so the blades would be across the wind. If I remember right it had some type of brake, but memories fade and get distorted. That was in Elk county Kansas. Don 

• KennyP and David Brown have said thanks

#22 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 11:20 AM

Yeah, how about a link to that company. I might have to look into that. My local Rural King farm store has some bigger wood ones shown inside that seemed better made. Wonder if same place??  I'll check name on them. Those are ready built, not kits or plans. We always wanted one, but just never looked into it, figured they would not last many years.  Maybe this one different?

Here's the link.  You can actually go bigger than the one I got but mine was plenty big for my place.  They have some really nice stuff.

http://www.lonestarw...dmill-kits.html

• Alc, KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#23 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:27 PM

Are they expensive? I looked at this place before and didn't see prices?

I actually might look into one!

#24 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:32 PM

Are they expensive? I looked at this place before and didn't see prices?

I actually might look into one!

Not cheap.  I got the 47" head kit and it was $345 including shipping.  Got another $150 in lumber.  Yeah, I saved for a while so I could get this.  Not a necessity so it wasn't on the priority list.  In fact, that's where my tractor money went.  I don't mind as I have more project tractors than I have time to work on so I may as well turn the money into something I can enjoy.  There's something very relaxing about a windmill.

• DH1, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#25 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:34 PM

Pricey but Looks like a high quality product!

Might be something I keep in mind for a future decoration. My dad has bought several of the cheaper sheet metal ones over the years. Probably has spent more on them than that total.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#26 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Pricey but Looks like a high quality product!

Might be something I keep in mind for a future decoration. My dad has bought several of the cheaper sheet metal ones over the years. Probably has spent more on them than that total.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, as I said, I wanted to do it right this time.  I'd gone through the sheet metal cheapies too.  Got tired of replacing bearings and such.  The wind finally destroyed it.  I would be surprised if the wind could move this one.  I'm still waiting for everything to fall back into place from lifting it into position!

• KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#27 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 12:50 PM

Not cheap.  I got the 47" head kit and it was $345 including shipping.  Got another $150 in lumber.  Yeah, I saved for a while so I could get this.  Not a necessity so it wasn't on the priority list.  In fact, that's where my tractor money went.  I don't mind as I have more project tractors than I have time to work on so I may as well turn the money into something I can enjoy.  There's something very relaxing about a windmill.

Money well spent  :thumbs:

#28 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 01:02 PM

I have an 8' HF one. Bearings went out and made some plastic inserts to replace them. Works real good, but can vibrate the small bolts out of the frame works with some of the wind we have around here.

I am going to build a platform for it to sit on and mount this small pump under it. I left the can there so you can see the size of it. Thinking about making it a water feature, using a small pump and a tube up into the spout. That would be pretty cool.

attachicon.gifDSCN1997.JPG

That would be very cool!  Let us know how it turns out if you decide to do it.  I think that's a great idea!

• KennyP said thank you

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 01:10 PM

Been a thought for a while. Just too many other things to do and it's hot out now.  A water feature to me is relaxing, love to hear the sound of water flowing over small falls/rocks! Have to be an above ground type though, sandstone is not far down here!

#30 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 01:31 PM

Ok, here's a general question about windmills.  Just about every mill I look at has that shelf or table top as I call it toward the top of the structure.  I know they have to have served a purpose at one time but I've never seen anything mounted on them.  Did they hold gearing or something for water duty? Were they simply a place to hold your tools during service?  Does anyone know?