• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 06:01 PM

So my deck makes horrible noises since I got it working. Even after greasing numerous times. I want to replace the bearing units. Are they something I can obtain at say tractor supply or are they a special item?
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 07:12 PM

I would say you need to go to an industrial bearing place  or manufacturer for something like this. Pictures or model numbers work great when sourcing parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• 256041_700x700.jpg

Edited by larrybl, July 22, 2016 - 07:13 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 07:31 PM

You will need t get the model numbers from the machine or the numbers on the bearings

A good bearing place should have them and if you dont have luck I have dealer status for National/Timken bearings and seals

• Alc, boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 08:28 PM

pull them apart and get the numbers off the bearings and races and go that route. That way it wont even matter what kind of tractor you have, probably a very common bearing in general industry and automotive applications.

I got into a rut of deck rebuild after deck rebuild, about 6-7 years ago and got tired of chasing around "who ever was home" among a few friends to see whose press I could use "this time"  Usually it was go to Glenn's house and press apart to get numbers from bearings then see whether Bill or Eric was home to press it together once I had my parts, (friends of mine, not members  here)  so that led me to look at craigslist where I found a 15T press of my own......  A press is a "feast/famine" type of machine like my MIG... it seems that the need for it comes in clusters..... use it a bunch but in spurts... and in between spurts, it sits. but when a busy spurt comes  I am sooo glad to have my own!  It means a whole lot less running around

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#5 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 09:47 PM

Hi the bearings could be 80-0026 (cone) and 80-0027 (cup) these are Power King parts numbers that translates to 0026=LM11979 & 0027=LM11910 a bearing supply place should have them

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 07:30 AM

I picked up a HF 20T press several years ago when they were on sale.  Used it a ton when was in the hay making business.  Then it sat for over a year taking up room.  "Gave" it to my neighbor up the road a mil that has a big shop with the condition I can use it when ever I want.  I use his stuff I don't have and if he is farming by me and needs something he know where my stuff is at.  Great working relationship.

#7 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hey thanks everyone. I'm going to take the spindles apart today. Now I had play up and down as well as side to side. I was not however able to tighten the nut any further. I kinda assume the cups must be seized in the housing. What do u guys think?

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 11:58 AM

One thing I learned about bearings... Their is a large difference in Quality ..  Bought some bearings from a bearing supply wharehouse,, they had 3 different prices.  I bought the middle of the road ones. within a year one of the bearings just shattered.. I mean the balls literally  broke in half.  I had never seen that before.. So anyway,, the next year the rest went south..  I bought the correct ones from from brian and noticed the balls were about 2 times bigger than the ones I had ( that fell apart )   Moral of the story,,, get the best you can to save from doing it over in a year or two.. and be aware of getting bearings that are just the same cup diameter, but the same bearing as being taken out.. Also watch out for the cheep China junk...

P.S.  I needed new wheel hub for my truck last year,, thought I would go with Timkin.. They are the best, Right.??  The box said made in China..  What a disappointment ....

Good luck in your'e project............

#9 Jim Leversee OFFLINE  

Jim Leversee
  • Member No: 84082
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 04:22 PM

I have a Power King 1218 and had a bearing housing crack apart on one of the outer spindles. I got a replacement from Mission Mfg. It was an exact fit with the bearing and spindle as an assembly. The original housing was cast aluminum, but the replacement is cast iron.

• MNGB said thank you