• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 05:54 AM

On my 108 I have the 483U1113 deck. This is a quick attach deck. Has anyone put the wheel sets at the outside of one of these to keep it from cutting short during turns? I would like to do something to help keep it from cutting short when turning/working uneven ground. I know the newer models had the wheels for this purpose. Any suggestions?
Image002 (Small).jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 05:56 AM

Kenny, is it the skids cutting in? Where would the wheels go, were they an option?

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 06:49 AM

The skids aren't digging in, I just see where the grass is shorter where it leans side to side either when turning or going over uneven ground. The newer decks don't have the skids and had 4"+/- wheels mounted at the rear side close to where the skids attach. Maybe I can find a pic that shows them. There is just enough 'slop' in the attaching points to allow the deck to 'float' up and down from the sides. I have a set of adjustable wheels off an old push mower and had thought of figuring out how to attach them to keep it from tilting so much. I'll look for a pic.]
I borrowed one.
mowerdeck016-1.jpg
See the trailing wheels on this deck. That's what I am thinking of adding to mine.

Edited by KennyP, May 18, 2011 - 06:56 AM.
Added a Pic

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:29 AM

Found some better pics of things. The first is the deck I have. Other shows newer model with gauge wheels.
QA10002 (Small).jpg

Not sure if those are regular push mower type wheels or something else. If I get a chance today and remember, I'll take a pic of the 'adjustable wheels I have off an old push mower.

Attached Thumbnails

• QA10001 (Small).jpg

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Yes they are the Small push mower sized wheels.
My Cub 127 has the wheels on it but doesn't have the Skids.They were also an option.My deck has the holes for the skids but were never installed on it.The "L" shaped bracket is held to the deck by 2 9/16 bolts about a 1/2 inch long.And the Bracket has 3 holes for the Gauge wheels.

This isn't mine but it should help a little.I'll take a couple blurry pics of mine in the morning if I remember.
The 127 uses the same deck as yours with the quick disconnects.

Attached Thumbnails

• 49.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 05:03 PM

That is what I was looking for. Thank you.

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 01:08 PM

Here are some more Pics.Got the old camera working again lol

Note these are 23x10.50x12 tires on Wide rims so the clearance on yours should be a little better than the inch and 1/2 I have on the Chute side.
There are 2 sets of holes for the Gauge wheels in the deck.
The Left side wheel is even with the end of the deck.

I have to clean my tractor up yet.Just got all of the Mechanical stuff working the way it should.
Gauge wheels are a Must in my yard.But with them on it cuts GREAT.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00016.jpg
  • DSC00018.jpg
  • DSC00017.jpg
  • DSC00015.jpg
  • DSC00019.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, May 23, 2011 - 01:18 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 06:42 PM

Thank you, Eric. I think I will be able to make something work. I have some 3"X4" angle iron that would make at least a good start on the brackets. I'm hoping I can use the wheels I posted about earlier. Right now, I am waiting for a bronze button to put on the PTO release. The fiber one didn't last long enough to adjust the PTO back in after a rebuild. I'll get to this before long, my days are being used for money making opportunities at the moment.

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 11:01 PM

Ya those Fiber buttons are a waist of money.
I just replaced mine a couple days ago with a Bronze button.Cost me $9 for one off of Fleebay.
If you need to clean up the button on the PTO you can do so with a small File.Start it up and touch it with the file.
I had to do this to remove some rust pitting before I put my new Bronze button on.

Now I'm looking for a new Ratchet Adjuster for the implement lift.
Mine has 2 of the teeth busted off.Found this out today when I was trying to figure out why the deck would only lock into a position that was either to high or to low.Oh well atleast I got to mow a bit with it today anyway.It does a really good job at mowing.Sure beats having to push mow an acre or land with a heavy old push mower.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 23, 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 03:38 AM

I like mowing with the 108, kind of wish it was a hydro at times. But, I get by with it. Since I got the new muffler for it, it's a lot quieter. Even the deck is quieter than the other mower I usually use. The wide deck is nice to get close to things.
Hope you find what you are looking for. You might check with new member jpcubs, he is just north of me. Says he has 50 or so cubs. Might have your adjuster.

#11 jpcubs OFFLINE  

jpcubs

• Member No: 196
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:33 AM

I have some rusted out decks you would be welcome to the whl brackets if you want them my phone is 440 8726 I go to tulsa quite a bit mite be able to drop them off. I also have the quadrent the other guy was talking about but freight is so high. before I had parts I would wire weld the teeth on the old one.
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:04 AM

That would take some of the engineering out of it. I'll send you a PM. I know about freight. I've been looking for some 18X6.50X8 tires, but freight is double the price of the tire.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:19 PM

I used to make & sell the PTO clutch center buttons that I made from stainless steel. They last a long long time & never pit like std steel OE buttons. Haven't made any in years, but when I quit offering them, someone else started making & selling stainless ones. Not sure if the guy still makes them or not.

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:39 PM

Were these in place of the fiber one? I have a brass one on the way. The fiber one lasted until I tried to use it. LOL

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Were these in place of the fiber one? I have a brass one on the way. The fiber one lasted until I tried to use it. LOL

No, the ones that engage the PTO clutch "fingers". The fiber ones wear fast due to the plain steel clutch center always rusting & pitting, which wears the fiber button fast! SS stays slick as glass.
  • KennyP said thank you