Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Vote Now Featured Tractor August 2016

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now Featured Tractor August 2016 (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now Featured Tractor August 2016

1. 1989 Model 1812 Cadet with Tandem Disk - Dane in PA (9 votes [11.25%])

Percentage of vote: 11.25%

2. 1970 John Deere 140 H3 with Snow Blower - propane1 (10 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. 1973 Sears ST/10 and Tiller - Bmerf (5 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. 1979 Bolens HT23 with a Danuser CD-1 Post Hole Digger - LPBolens (31 votes [38.75%])

Percentage of vote: 38.75%

5. Cub Cadet 147 with Haban sickle mower - zippy1 (17 votes [21.25%])

Percentage of vote: 21.25%

6. Simplicity 7016 with 36" Tiller - BTS (8 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 06:03 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of August has now officially started and will end the last day of July. This month's theme is Implements.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of August and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity.

We have 6 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Dane in PA - 1989 Model 1812 Cadet and Tandem Disk
  • propane1 - 1970 John Deere 140 H3 with Snow Thrower
  • Bmerf - 1973 Sears ST/10 and Tiller
  • LPBolens - 1979 Bolens HT23 with a Danuser CD-1 post hole Digger
  • zippy1 - Cub Cadet 147 with Haban Sickle Mower
  • BTS - Simplicity 7016 with 36" Tiller

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• boyscout862, Dane in PA, angelzs69 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 496 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted July 06, 2016 - 07:50 AM

I've never done one of these before, but I figure "Why not?"

I'd like to nominate my 1989 Model 1812 Cadet, sold originally at the Dealer where I work.

1812.jpg

I have owned this tractor for a very short time, but I have a story to go with it. Hahaha.

This past spring, a couple came into the dealer where I work (IH/Cadet) after a new mower --after much back and forth, as well as many trips back to the dealer and eventually a demo, they selected a Ferris Zero-Turn (one of the fancy Briggs and Stratton made ones with independent suspension).  They selected this mower, but as we have limited space inside our showroom and almost keep that exclusively to homeowner/residential mowers --not commercial mowers-- it had sat outside since March.  Ferris, on their smaller pseudo-residential mowers, puts a very thin layer of chrome plating on their front shock springs, and a thin layer of rust had started forming inside of the springs and where they made contact with themselves when compressing.  The customer insisted they be replaced with new springs, and understandably.  We followed their wishes and the sale went through.  Our normal PDI (pre-delivery inspection) includes sharpening the blades, checking/filling/etc... all lubrication points and fluids, filling it to the brim with fuel, and giving it a bath --all of this was done, and it was a very nice looking mower.  The customer sent it back due to some scuffs on the foot-mat from our mechanic loading it on the truck and a slight "whirl" in the powder-coat where it looks like someone may have stepped on the deck at some point in its short life.  (Women, children, the odd store manager... who knows?)  We got the machine back, cleaned the mat, buffed out the spot on the deck and a spot beside the foot-board, cleaned it once more and sent it down the road.  The customer sent it back AGAIN.  It was apparently "too dirty" from road dust that may have accumulated on the drive over...  So, we brought the machine back --buffed the ENTIRE machine, waxed it, polished it, armor-all'd the tires, the WHOLE nine yards.  Even wrapped a bow on the ROPS.  We waited for a rainy day, pulled it on the roll back --made sure to put plastic over all of the operator controls, foot board, seat, etc... After it was on the truck, we laid moving blankets over the entire machine, then strapped it down and took it to its new home.  Finally seemed at least *somewhat* satisfied with it.  (Remember, this is a mower)

He had traded in the 1812, in decent condition, with a QA42 blower, 3-pt, 42" blade, and a 50c deck.

I wanted the tractor, and a local guy that collects 1811s wanted the attachments so we stuck a deal that I'd get the 1812 w/ 3-pt, and he'd get his pick of everything else.  Store made out well on its investment, and we were both happy.

I brought the tractor home and slowly fell in love.  This is my first Cadet newer than my 86 and 169.  I've never had an '80s model, and it's really impressed me.  The tractor has 1,350 hrs on the original engine and transmission, but it was easy mowing and occasional plowing/blowing duties.  Engine is very strong and the trans is good, through it needs some love to get back in shape.  Good thing 181x series tractors are EVERYWHERE around here.  (3 1811s traded in this spring, and the 1811 collector bought them all.  2 1812s, one I own --and one coming in tomorrow... which I may end up buying, too --as it has engine issues.)

I added the hub-caps, radio ('70s NOS Motorola), and recently an XtremeMotorWorks front bumper/weight bracket, changed the fluids and filter (added Lucas Hydraulic Booster & Stop Leak --made a whole new machine of it), and lights.  

A week after I brought it home, I ended up going and picking up a Brinly Tandem Disc, and 3-pt plow.

1812disc.jpg

post-9535-0-94421300-1467337920.jpg

My favorite attachment for it so far is the Tandem Disc.  It works beautifully, even with the turf tires it pulls it with ease.  I use it often between the rows of my father's produce fields and on the unplanted sections to keep the grass and weeds knocked down.  I'd say I go over what I can fit it in at least once a week.  Hahaha.

post-9535-0-29625600-1467337979.jpg

post-9535-0-61986600-1467337950.jpg

I believe that a model 400 tiller is also in it's future.   :thumbs:

I will be tearing part of it down to adjust/fix the controls for forward and reverse motion, and likely adding rear hydraulic ports this winter.  Ag tires should be in next week, and I'm waiting on Miller Tire to get their Firestone wide tri-rib back in stock.  During the winter tear-down, I will likely also replace the decals, foot-boards, and seat.

I hope this is enough content!   :D

Video of the Radio:

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, July 06, 2016 - 02:05 PM.

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 12 others have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Well I'll enter again, but running out of stuff to put in. I'll enter my newest to me implement. A snow thrower, yes I said a snow thrower, in the middle of July. It's been so cold here this past week, it seemed like winter was coming back already, the furnace even came on this morning and it's set at 68.
Any way this snow thrower is hooked to my John Deere 140 H3. The tractor is a 1970, not sure what year the thrower is. I got this thrower from a fella I know, last fall. He didn't like how it worked on his John Deere 317, so he stopped useing it. So I got it all hooked up, to the 140, which went well, but the pulley didn't line up with the engine pulley. So I did a little work and it fit fine.
When I bought it, I was just looking for another attachment for the 140 to have fun with. Didn't think it would be as good as my LGT 165 Ford blower, so was going to use it as a toy and clean up and let the ford do the heavy work. So the first time I used it, it didn't work very well, got out about 10'. Annoyed, I backed back into the garage.
As winter went on, I used it more and found it was very capable of doing its job. I then added a hydraulic cylinder to the top defector on the chute. This made it even better to use and more fun.
So, I used it more than the Ford this past winter, all thou we didn't have as much snow either.

Thanks for lookin, Noel.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#4 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 12, 2016 - 08:38 AM

Up for your consideration is this Sears ST/10 and tiller combination. Believed to be a '73 model. I wasn't looking for a tractor when this one happened along. Looking for a leaf vacuum and this came attached. Figured to flip the tractor; but became very attached to this work horse. It started my collection of Sears attachments.

First came a snow plow/dozer blade for the front, then an 8", 10", and middle buster plows for the rear. A manual three point, cultivator, and a disc or two found their way in to the collection. A snow blower has also found a way into the barn.

One day while searching Craig's list, the tiller entered the picture. It came complete with the electric three point lift. Unfortunately the gear in the bottom of the lift soon stripped. Not to be discouraged, an actuator for a solar panel was pressed into service. This has held up well for the last year or two. 

IMG_0858.JPG IMG_1413.JPG IMG_2264.JPG

Many custom additions have been made to the ST/10; including custom running boards, a tool tray, and snow blower pulley cover. All fabricated out of scrap or left over material. These projects and the versatility of the ST/10, have deepened my love for this machine. It is a worker and it shows. One day it will get a refresh, but until then, it will be earning its keep as my "go to" tractor for yard and garden cleanup.

IMG_1347.JPG IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG IMG_2255.JPG

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#5 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 04:20 PM

WrenchinOnIt (Kevin) suggested that I do this, so here goes.

I am nominating one of my Bolens Large Frames (an HT23) with a Danuser CD-1 post hole digger. I got the tractor, which according to the tag is probably a 1979 model year, some time after moving to a country property where I needed to mow about 3 acres.  At the time I had a Gravely 1238H rider, which had been adequate for a smaller property, but not what I needed to care for the greater acreage. It would take most of every weekend to keep up with the yard work, especially in the Spring here in Illinois where we have such rich dirt that stuff grows while you are watching it. A friend knew I was looking for something bigger and told me another friend of ours was losing his storage on “a big garden tractor”. I tried to trade a couple of compact cars that I had fixed on the side for the “big garden tractor” with 54” mowing deck and 48” snowblower, but the friend with the machinery did not want the cars. BUT, he owed money to yet another friend who did want the cars, so the tractor and attachments went to him and I made my original trade of cars for the Bolens with him instead. That got me into Bolens tractors, and the rest, as they say, is history. Clearly I got the bug. If you notice the power steering, I added that later. And the wheel weights came with the tractor, too.

The Danuser CD-1 post hole digger has an equally weird story. Many of you know that I grew up in Maine, just outside Bangor. I still have family there. I saw the post hole digger on eBay, saw it was mostly set up for a Bolens Large Frame, saw it was located in Maine, and figured I could get my youngest brother to pick it up and store it until the next time I was in Maine. So I bid on it, and the price kept going up, so I kept bidding. In the end, I lost the auction because I was not using sniping software. I thought it was probably gone for good.

About a year later I saw what I thought at first was another Danuser CD-1 post hole digger on eBay. It was in Connecticut, but it struck me that the pics looked familiar. I double-checked my saved pics, and sure enough, it was the same unit and the seller was using the pics from the original listing. The guy who bought it had been trying to fit it up to an International Cub, but found out the PTO turned the wrong way, so he could not use it. I bought it from him for less than he had paid for it when it was still in Maine.  I did happen to be in Maine when I won the auction that time, so I made a somewhat longer return trip to Illinois by swinging through Connecticut to pick up the digger. It just fit into the back of my Audi A6 sedan with the rear seats folded down after the guy and his wife in Connecticut and I wrestled it into the car. On the road the car then felt like I had a couple of sumo wrestlers in the back. I did have presence of mind enough to spread a tarp under it to minimize the filth transferring to the car.

Danuser CD-1 004.JPG Danuser_HT23_0002.JPG Danuser_HT23_0004.JPG Danuser_HT23_0005.JPG

To mount the digger on the tractor it was necessary to fabricate a top mount to go between the frame rails of the tractor. Glenn Danuser, the grandson of the founder of the company, was only able to confirm that the digger would have been painted School Bus Yellow when I talked to him on the phone, but that only gives me a range of color, so I painted the new mount in a color that I thought would look appropriate.  I have seen other CD-1 post hole diggers, but never another for a Bolens Large Frame. The pic of me on the tractor using the digger was taken a few years ago at AJ’s Garden Tractor Jamboree near Oregon, IL. Although it was late Spring, somehow AJ always seems to have picked the cold, blustery weekend for that show.

Danuser digging @ Jamboree_2011.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, July 21, 2016 - 10:35 PM.

• olcowhand, wilberj, MH81 and 12 others have said thanks

#6 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 16, 2016 - 05:13 PM

For your consideration is my Cub Cadet 147 with Haban sickle mower. I've had the 147 for many a years as a mowing tractor, and since last year it's now my designated sickle mower tractor.

Really isn't much to tell about it. I bought the mower last year from a buddy in New Jersey and had it shipped here to WI. I've been looking for one in our area for some time, but they just never come up for sale.

I mainly wanted it for cutting around the pond and other areas I can't get to with the grass mowing tractor, and it seemed to work good for that.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2285.JPG
  • IMG_2286.JPG
  • IMG_2278.JPG
  • IMG_2235.JPG

Edited by zippy1, July 16, 2016 - 05:13 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 09:40 PM

I would like to nominate my Simplicity 7016, I got this from my great uncle who passed away, he bought it when it was a couple years old from a boat dealer, they used it to tow boats and for mowing/tilling. it was in rough shape when I got it, the fenders, mower deck and tiller were rusting really bad so as soon as I got it I stripped it all down, gave it a coat of rust stop then primer and paint.

I love the rototiller, I use a 6' tiller behind my Kubota tractor but this little 36" tiller is really nice for the smaller areas and in between some rows. This is the first simplicity that I have and I love it, it's easier to get around in and it seems like a really nice stout little tractor.

The engine now needs rings and I'm hoping to get it rebuilt fairly soon, I can't wait so I can use this little tractor again.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Simplicity 7018 PAINTED 013.jpg
  • Simplicity 7018 PAINTED 010.jpg
  • Simplicity 7018 PAINTED 011.jpg
  • Simplicity 7018 PAINTED 012.jpg
  • Simplicity 047.jpg
  • Painting Simplicity 7016 006.jpg
  • Painting Simplicity 7016 044.jpg

Edited by BTS, July 20, 2016 - 09:43 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, LPBolens and 6 others have said thanks

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 10:40 PM

Let the voting begin. Good Luck All!!

• olcowhand, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 02:14 PM

This is going to be a tough choice to make!

• Dane in PA said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 04:31 PM

This is going to be a tough choice to make!

You're right there!

• Texas Deere and Horse and Dane in PA have said thanks

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 10:44 AM

Tough this month!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#12 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 10:06 AM

I've got a soft spot for sickle bars

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#13 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted July 27, 2016 - 06:49 PM

By the way, the description of my tractor and implement says "Gigger". I think it should be "Digger". At least that is what I call it. :smilewink:

Edited by LPBolens, July 27, 2016 - 06:50 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 05:09 AM

By the way, the description of my tractor and implement says "Gigger". I think it should be "Digger". At least that is what I call it. :smilewink:

I can't edit it! Maybe one of the Admins can.

• MH81 said thank you

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,237 Thanks
  • 28,598 posts

Posted July 29, 2016 - 05:48 AM

Thanks for pointing that out. It's fixed now.
  • LPBolens and KennyP have said thanks