• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 03:18 PM

I am mostly color blind so colors don't mean much to me. I have 3 Cub Cadets and 2 John Deeres that need paint. Is there a yellow that is close for both of them?  I also have 4 old round hood Allis' that need paint but I figured on using "old CAT yellow for them. Would old CAT yellow for the Cubs and the JD? Thanks, Rick

BTW I have an HT 23 painted in JD colors which look terrible on it.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 04:26 PM

Since you are color blind, paint them all purple and act like they are correct! LOL On the Cubs, the yellow will depend on years. Can't say much for the JD.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 04:46 PM

From what I know, the old cat yellow looks good on the cub. But to dull for a John Deere. This is a good yellow for most things. I use it on my snow plows.

Noel.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 04:54 PM

From what I know, the old cat yellow looks good on the cub. But to dull for a John Deere. This is a good yellow for most things. I use it on my snow plows.

Noel.

Those Deere's can be finicky!

• propane1 said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Your going to need two shades of yellow. neither one is close enough to please my eye to use for both.

• zippy1 said thank you

#6 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 10:51 PM

I use the federal yellow Iron Guard from Case/IH for my cubs.

It's a good paint, sorry, can't help you on the JD color.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 10:16 PM

I use the federal yellow Iron Guard from Case/IH for my cubs.

It's a good paint, sorry, can't help you on the JD color.

my experience with the Iron Gard is awful. I guess NAPA can mix it in their paint line. I might try their paint next time.

As long as I'm painting a whole tractor if I'm off a shade or 2 it aint a big deal.
I went to a tractor show this past weekend where exhibitors had multiples of Cubs side by side, and though they were all yellow and white, one next to the other was a slightly different shade from the one next to it,  and each looked just fine.

Now if one were to do a spot repair with the shade of yellow that was used on the machine next door, yeah/ that would not have looked good for show conditions.   or a faded 40 yo machine that has been touched up here or there.....

I was wondering, is Federal Yellow  the same as OSHA Safety Yellow?    How about School Bus Yellow? Yeah I know, one batch to another or one brand to another might be slightly off.....  Again as long as I am doing a complete machine, and "that" whole machine is the same shade of yellow throughout, "close" will wind up good enough.

Iron Gard Federal Yellow is only available at the dealer.   I want paint that I can get more readily than having to go to the closest IH dealer, which is in a direction that I almost never head from here....

Edited by dodge trucker, July 22, 2016 - 10:16 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#8 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 01:16 AM

Ace Hardware sells John Deere Yellow in spray and quart. http://www.acehardwa...E/19541496&sr=1
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#9 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted July 23, 2016 - 11:19 PM

"Iron Gard Federal Yellow is only available at the dealer.   I want paint that I can get more readily than having to go to the closest IH dealer, which is in a direction that I almost never head from here...."

Sorry about your experience with the paint, but I've had nothing but good happen with it.

I needed to paint a later model cub (1872) that the federal yellow was "to yellow" so I went to the local paint house and had some blended in their Omni brand. Real satisfied with this paint also. It actually turned out to match a early Chrysler color.

Edited by zippy1, July 23, 2016 - 11:23 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 12:43 PM

I have heard that Iron Gard is made by VALSPAR so we used their primer and hardener. The primer is stuck good but the paint peels in sheets. The least amount of drops to fuel and off it comes. I am very dissatisfied with the Iron Gard. Way too much work tied up into that machine for the results seen. Now we did the same prep on the white parts on which we were able to find in Valspar product and that is holding up just fine.

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 31, 2016 - 12:22 PM

What year is the john deere your going to be painting? That will determine which color is closer to ih yellow