• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 STEELRAIN13F OFFLINE  

STEELRAIN13F
  • Member No: 82927
  • 33 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 05:56 AM

Is using gasket maker ok for carb and intake gaskets? I've used it for other applications and havent had any issues.

#2 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 771 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 06:06 AM

Very light amounts although there is no reason you should have to. If anything its just going to increase your chances  that you will destroy the gasket if you ever take it apart again. 

I use wheel bearing grease for most applications and have a roll of gasket paper in case I ever have to make a gasket....ON the intake of my SS12 there is a large spacer type of gasket that is located on the heat shield between the carb and intake and I was not sure that old harden thing could seal like it use to , so I cut a smaller gasket to put in between the hard gasket and the metal to assure a quality seal.  

• boyscout862, bprzyw and chieffan have said thanks

#3 STEELRAIN13F OFFLINE  

STEELRAIN13F
  • 33 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 06:39 AM

The original gaskets are all warped and just junk. this Gt sat for approx. 13 years with gas in the tank and carb. The factory gaskets did not fair well when the carb and intake were pulled. I have some of the red bearing grease that I used on my rotors on my truck lying around that I can attempt to use.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 06:40 AM

A roll of gasket material is pretty cheap at AutoZone.
I have used cereal boxes in a pinch. Back sheet on a legal tablet once too.
  • Paulgo said thank you

#5 STEELRAIN13F OFFLINE  

STEELRAIN13F
  • 33 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 06:51 AM

I'll check CarQuest to see if they have any as that is the only auto parts store within almost an hour of me. I'm at this time trying to keep the cost low as I got the GT for free and it is in very good cosmetic shape. The engine fires and turns over, even in it's less than decent shape. Eventually, I am planning on a restoration but given that it is not a sought after GT, it will be a little ways down the road.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 08:18 AM

The carb intake gaskets are generally in the $2 range if you want oem

• MH81, MailmAn, John Arsenault and 1 other said thanks

#7 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Yes, I would also definitely HIGHLY recommend either buying the correct gaskets (they can't be that expensive as Bolens 1000 pointed out...) or buying a roll of gasket material and making your own rather than trying to use any kind of gasket maker junk that comes in a whipped cream bottle looking dispenser or anything like that. You shouldn't have to use any type of RTV Silicone or gasket maker or other adhesives like that to get your carburetor or intake manifold to seal. The original gaskets work fine and anything else will just make a mess, could potentially be more prone to leaking than the correct gasket, and most importantly could cause bits of dried sealant to get sucked into the engine causing problems.

If you really need help holding the gasket in place while installing the parts, you can put a very light coating of grease on the gasket before putting it into place. I believe you can also use some of that Indian Head Gasket Shellac or Hi-Tack to do the same thing, but the grease will work just as well and has more uses than the gasket shellac stuff. Just don't put any Blue or Black RTV Silicone on the gasket surfaces to try to hold it in place and/or help to seal it as it will cause more problems than it is worth.

• MH81 and bprzyw have said thanks

#8 STEELRAIN13F OFFLINE  

STEELRAIN13F
  • 33 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 05:19 PM

My CarQuest has nothing that will help without ordering and waiting 3-5 days. I may take a drive north in a day or two and try AutoZone or advanced auto.
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 06:23 PM

What are your engine numbers, I may have OEM instock

• MH81 and STEELRAIN13F have said thanks

#10 STEELRAIN13F OFFLINE  

STEELRAIN13F
  • 33 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 08:14 PM

i will get those numbers in a bit once the humidity breaks for the evening.

#11 STEELRAIN13F OFFLINE  

STEELRAIN13F
  • 33 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Briggs & Stratton Corp
Model: 422707
Type: 0150 01
Code: 86010912

#12 STEELRAIN13F OFFLINE  

STEELRAIN13F
  • 33 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 09:09 PM

Another question to add, how would one go about flushing sediment from the intake ports on the engine block? Is there an additive that will work without gumming up the valves or push rods? I have mechanic in a bottle that I have used on my MTD and Toro with moderate to good success.

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Carb to intake  gasket $2.85

Carb to air cleaner $2.77

I'm not sure what you mean by sediment, is there alot of carbon build up in your engine?

I know they make some stuff like Seafoam and marvel mystery oil but I have never had any luck with them myself but there are guys who swear by it.

• MH81 and MailmAn have said thanks

#14 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 11:20 AM

Yes, I would also definitely HIGHLY recommend either buying the correct gaskets (they can't be that expensive as Bolens 1000 pointed out...) or buying a roll of gasket material and making your own rather than trying to use any kind of gasket maker junk that comes in a whipped cream bottle looking dispenser or anything like that. You shouldn't have to use any type of RTV Silicone or gasket maker or other adhesives like that to get your carburetor or intake manifold to seal. The original gaskets work fine and anything else will just make a mess, could potentially be more prone to leaking than the correct gasket, and most importantly could cause bits of dried sealant to get sucked into the engine causing problems.

If you really need help holding the gasket in place while installing the parts, you can put a very light coating of grease on the gasket before putting it into place. I believe you can also use some of that Indian Head Gasket Shellac or Hi-Tack to do the same thing, but the grease will work just as well and has more uses than the gasket shellac stuff. Just don't put any Blue or Black RTV Silicone on the gasket surfaces to try to hold it in place and/or help to seal it as it will cause more problems than it is worth.

Indian head gasket shellac.........WOW been using that since the late 70's!! Love it!! got 3 bottles, 1 of them has to be 25 years old and I still use it!!!! Thanks!!!

• MailmAn said thank you

#15 STEELRAIN13F OFFLINE  

STEELRAIN13F
  • 33 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted July 22, 2016 - 01:02 PM

It does have a bit of carbon build up, but there is also a little rust. I'd like to try and get the motor as clean as possible to try and avoid any major issues.