My First Economy Tractor Purchase a Jim Dandy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 802EconJD OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83969
  • 10 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 05:39 AM

I joined the forum earlier this week, the same day i purchased my first Economy tractor, a Jim Dandy. Its 5 hours from home right now, but i hope to bring it home in the next couple weeks. I do not have the serial number yet, as the previous owner is on vacation currently. I was hoping based on these pictures, you could tell me a little more about it? The previous owner says its a model 1216. It had been in a barn for around the past 15 to 18 years, before he recently purchased it. It has the dual transmission, front and rear wheel weights, snow plow, one bottom plow, (2) 48" mower decks & 36" rototiller. I had been looking for a good one to restore with my son for a while now.IMG_3893.JPG IMG_3894.JPG IMG_3895.JPG IMG_3896.JPG

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Username and 3 others have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,268 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 07:01 AM

Welcome aboard!  Looks like a nice little tractor you found.  That will make a great project.  The model of the tractor is simply "Jim Dandy".  In those days (this is somewhere handy to 1965 as a guess) you had two models of Economy tractor.  The Jim Dandy which was the smaller machine and the larger Power King.  The company didn't start using the numbers until they changed the company name to Power King in the mid 70's.  Once you have the serial number, we'll be able to nail down the year of manufacture.  The front weights on that tractor, if factory, are quite rare and the seat, in my opinion, is one of the most comfortable seats they offered.  It doesn't look comfy, but I found it to be quite nice.  You have the dual trannies which is nice as you'll be able to run a tiller or snow blower with no issues.  Manual lift.  I think you will be very happy with that tractor.

• Username and tiretrx have said thanks

#3 tiretrx OFFLINE  

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 754 Thanks
  • 565 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 07:17 AM

Great choice for a resto. You got a nice package there. Very capable machines, congrats :thumbs:

• Member No: 62466
  • 893 Thanks
  • 781 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 07:19 AM

Hi welcome to the group and Jim Dandy ownership as David posted looks like a great project and that seat is good I have one and I like it,  you got some nice handy implements also keep us updated

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 07:34 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !     I also  have a Jim Dandy , it's a nice machine and looking forward to seeing more of yours and you restore it

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 08:07 AM

#7 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,376 Thanks
  • 1,566 posts

Posted July 21, 2016 - 11:32 AM

Welcome! Great project tractor and pretty simple to work on.

#8 802EconJD OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83969
  • 10 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 04:07 PM

Finally made the journey to RI and back today, its all home and in the barn now. I believe it is a 1967, but what do the letters in the serial number represent? Jim Dandy Tractor with wheel weights and tandem transmissions, 36" Tiller, Spare 48" mower deck, Dozer blade, one bottom plow and cultivator. Loaded in RI.jpg Serial #.jpg  

• olcowhand said thank you