Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for the hydraulic gurus on here.....

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 06:58 AM

We have a 5th wheel camper that the hydro pump for the slide out is giving us fits. It runs, so the switches, relays and motor are woring ok. It travels one way fine but not the other. It has fluid and is pushing fluid. It's a 1995 Nomad and it has seen a lot of use.

The pump seems to be screaming when you switch it on. Two years ago it wouldn't come in with out help. We would have to help by pusing it back in. I changed the hoses, two for one cylinder, to make it come in better and have to help it going out. Now it barely goes out but does come in fairly well. I have called numerous RV dealers and no one knows anything about it. The company Dewald / Oildyne is out of business and they were bought out by Powergear USA. I called them and they said it's obsolete so I can send you a new one for $ 1900.00.. !!  The cylinder is not leaking and the cable assist system to get the slide out in and out is working properly and is not bound up. Just wodering if any of you guys who are up on hydropumps could give me an idea of what to look for in the pump. I really think it's in the spools for the in and out or maybe the check valves in the spools. I'm at a loss and we need to use it this weekend to go see our grandson play baseball. As I said I can muscle it out and in but at my age I prefere not to. Been working on it for a few days now. Thanks for any help at all.                                                                                                                     Roger

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 07:12 AM

Are you sure the oil is not just flowing through the cylinders?  If the seals inside are leaking it would not show up outside.  Those pumps do not get a lot of use compared to a lot of hydraulic pumps.  It runs for a minute to run the slide out and again to run it back in.  2 min. a weekend for a few months a year.  A pump on a hydro lawn mower runs for an hours straight and they last for years.

• hamman said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 08:01 AM

Might help if you have the model  # so someone could look at the print or find a troubleshooting guide , here a general description with a print that may or not match your unit ,

http://hydraulicspne...hZone-Cylinders

• Bruce Dorsi and hamman have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 08:41 AM

Might help if you have the model  # so someone could look at the print or find a troubleshooting guide , here a general description with a print that may or not match your unit ,

http://hydraulicspne...hZone-Cylinders

That is nearly the setup I have. I had seen this before but I couldn't find it. This is an Dewald / Oildyne 108AMSP32-*LB - 14SP .

Chieffan, would that be so if it moves one way and not the other? As I admitted I'm not really up on the hydro systems and you are right, the use of this pump is minute compared to those on a GT.. Thanks guys. I just found a place near us here that wants to look at it after we get back. I just called a guy north of us who has a couple of slide out pumps in salvaged rvs that he will sell me. Problem is they are un tested. I might try to get the cylinders also if they are like ours.       Roger

• chieffan said thank you

#5 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 08:57 AM

Any good hydraulic shop should be able to test the cylinder.
  • hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Most places around here don't want to mess with something this small. We have a lot of logging here and they cater to those guys and their needs. I've called 5 and they all said it wasn't something they wanted to look at. I finally found a Amish steel fab and hydraulic repair place yesterday a few miles away that said they would like to look at it. They have done work on my neighbors plow cylinders and quite honestly I didn't think of them until yesterday when I wa sgoing thru my phone and found their numbers. I will be taking it to them when we get back next week to see if they can figure it out. I think it's got to be something small and I am not smart enough to figure it out. Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                             Roger.

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 09:54 AM

You said you changed hoses  now it works opposite then before. If only one cylinder is it possible you put hoses on backwards? and if you did it's more likely in your control somewhere. Not familiar with set up. If valves run by solenoid might be weak or bad.    

• hamman said thank you

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 877 Thanks
  • 493 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 11:38 AM

"The pump seems to be screaming when you switch it on."

Don't hydraulic pumps do that when they're pumping air?

• hamman said thank you

#9 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 12:40 PM

Does the oil in the tank look foamy?

Any chance you have 2 diffenent kinds of oil fighting against each other? (i.e. dino oil and bio oil)

• hamman said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 01:13 PM

Could be the cylinder rod came loose from the piston. This could allow for only one way operation. Is the cylinder working fine when extending the rod?
  • hamman said thank you

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 01:56 PM

Your screaming pump sounds like a relief valve is opening. Shouldn't take long for that shop to figure it out. 

• hamman said thank you

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 02:04 PM

"The pump seems to be screaming when you switch it on."

Don't hydraulic pumps do that when they're pumping air?

That's what I thought but it is full of oil in the retracted position and near empty when extended. By near empty it still has about an inch of oil in the tank. The tank has a vented plastic cap on it an I can stick the stank to see how much is in it.  As far as the hoses I just changed them at the pump. The in was swapped for the out. Now when I push the button for out it comes in, when I push for out it comes in. Coming in seems to be working well but not perfect. Out is the problem. Thanks guys keep em coming every little bit helps. Oh and the fluid is not foamy, as if there was air in it. I can use a parts mirror and light to look into the tank. The cylinder seems to work fine when the pump is pumping .  Thanks,

Edited by hamman, July 20, 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 02:28 PM

Is this a set up like a snowplow pump with the 2 electric solenoids instead of spool valves? Sounds like when a solenoid gets weak or sticky and won't lift the valve up.

• hamman said thank you

#14 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 05:00 PM

The spools are built into the pump and those have check valves in them. I'm thinking,  after reading a lot, that when I get back I will pill the spools out and take them apart and look at the check valves and O rings to see if any are cracked or gone. In some of the articles I've read some have found the O rings gone. Thanks guys.

Roger

• olcowhand said thank you

#15 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 05:02 PM

When I get back I'll post some pics of the pump, cylinder and such. Just to much to do right now to get done. Gonna go watch the youngest grandson play ball with his traveling baseball team.                                                                                                     Roger

• olcowhand and DougT have said thanks