Potatoe patch and hay field.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,875 Thanks
  • 3,111 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 09:26 PM

Was at the potatoe patch today. Doin some hillin and bug killin. While I was there, the cut hay was baled. This land I have these potatoes on is not mine. My neighbor lets me use it for no cost. But I help out by cutting extra grass while I'm there. If the potatoes are any good when I dig them, he will have a supply of taters, also. This place is about 1/2 hrs drive away, one way. So I can't get there every day to kill the bugs. I try to go every 5 days.
There is a barn, cottage and the neighbours homestead house on this land. The homestead house is not a livable place. Abandoned for for many years. It was his parents place. The cottage is livable, but has not been used, in about 6 years. The owner says he will live in it a few days the year, but I don't think he will. He usees the barn for storage in the winter to put his bike and old car in. His wife died about 6 to 7 years ago. So I think he's finding it hard to stay at the cottage, with out her.
The hay goes to the critters , he says. So he gets the fields cut for no cost, and the farmer feeds his critters, with out the cost of the land.
The owner keeps the grass cut around the buildings, to help make it, lived in, look. So, I think with me growing potatoes and the farmer cutin the fields for the hay, helps make the place look more live in and helps to keep the night time vandals away , some, maybe.

Sorry for the long post.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• daytime dave, MH81, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,649 Thanks
  • 39,023 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 05:12 AM

Nice looking taters! I like the barn too!

• propane1 said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 06:10 AM

It sure does look lived in.  It's a nice arrangement you have with him.  Nice potato patch.

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,684 Thanks
  • 28,329 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 06:34 AM

Nice location and good arrangement.
One thing that will make a house look less lived in is no car.
A clunker parked there and moved around some every couple of days might help too.

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,760 Thanks
  • 4,269 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 07:19 AM

Good looking potato patch.  Mine are ready to dig - if it ever quits raining.  Now we are in a heat advisery for the next 3 days and the AC quit last night.  Hopefully it is something simple.

• Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 10:28 AM

Nice potatoes & like mentioned a good arrangement too. I wished folks would do more things like this....too many want a lot of money involved. That barn looks nice too.