• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • Member No: 83648
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:22 PM

I've noticed that most of the folks here in the Bolens forum are from the midwest and eastern states; the West Coast seems woefully under-represented. Not sure if that's because we don't have a lot of garden tractors out here, or just that Bolens didn't have a lot of dealer presence.

Am I the only Oregonian here? Heck, is there anyone from Washington, even?

(Feeling lonely...)

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:27 PM

I know we have some members from WA with Bolens. Rainier comes to mind.

#3 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:42 PM

Yep I live in Washington.

#4 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 277 Thanks
  • 314 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:44 PM

i live in spokane

#5 Clevis OFFLINE  

Clevis
  • Member No: 82966
  • 58 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 06:56 PM

SW Washington here. There are folks in the NW here, just most of them are quiet. However there are less Bolens out this way than in the Midwest and Northeast.

Edited by Clevis, July 19, 2016 - 07:00 PM.

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:01 PM

the midwest isn't that plentiful either for Bolens/ I live in IL and can count on one hand how many Bolens I can ever remember seeing. NOT including the recent Lowe's offerings which I know do not count.

#7 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:15 PM

So Grantc what machines do you have?

#8 GrantC OFFLINE  

GrantC
  • Member No: 83648
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:39 PM

So Grantc what machines do you have?

I have a 1220 that is on the cusp of being useful (see my thread about the transmission); a G12 that I believe is complete but definitely has a bad carb; and an H16 that may or may not have a complete engine but otherwise seems in fairly good condition.

I bought these about 3 years ago with the intention of putting together at least one good runner and am just now getting around to them. I started with the 1220 because it was the only one I knew actually ran, even though it's in the roughest shape. The G12 will be next, and I'll tackle the H16 at some future date — if I don't sell or trade it off for something else I can use right away.

Along with the tractors came 3 mower decks (2 of the same model, all with bad bearings), a Bolens blade and a badly adapted Cub Cadet blade, two tillers, and an assortment of Brinley cultivating attachments.

Luckily there's a local guy who buys/sells garden tractor parts and seems to come up with a lot of Bolens stuff; just today he posted a nice original condition Ride-A-Matic "barn find" on Craigslist. I wish I had the money for it!

• Paulgo said thank you

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:50 PM

I have a 1220 that is on the cusp of being useful (see my thread about the transmission); a G12 that I believe is complete but definitely has a bad carb; and an H16 that may or may not have a complete engine but otherwise seems in fairly good condition.

I bought these about 3 years ago with the intention of putting together at least one good runner and am just now getting around to them. I started with the 1220 because it was the only one I knew actually ran, even though it's in the roughest shape. The G12 will be next, and I'll tackle the H16 at some future date — if I don't sell or trade it off for something else I can use right away.

Along with the tractors came 3 mower decks (2 of the same model, all with bad bearings), a Bolens blade and a badly adapted Cub Cadet blade, two tillers, and an assortment of Brinley cultivating attachments.

Luckily there's a local guy who buys/sells garden tractor parts and seems to come up with a lot of Bolens stuff; just today he posted a nice original condition Ride-A-Matic "barn find" on Craigslist. I wish I had the money for it!

Well, I'm a little farther away--Northern Utah, but I have a Bolens HT23 with a front loader and a tiller--and a daylight engine block... It's my next "big" project as soon as I can get my multitude of little projects taken care of.

If you don't mind... post who the local guy is... I'm always looking for parts, and generally have to ship them from back East when I find them...

Thanks,

Smitty

#10 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Very nice. I have a H14 that runs very well, I use it for all my mowing. I also have a 1050 that runs good. I like to use it for tilling the garden. And a few months ago I picked up a 900. I just got it running last weekend and everything seems to work well. It does need some new seals on the rear end. The 900 I want to mount my center mount grader blade and put on the hydro for the lift. If you hear about a mower deck for a 1556 . Keep me in mind. I have one that I rebuild the HH150 .It runs great. Punch it out 10 over. That was a bear to find the piston and ring set.
Good luck with your projects.

Dave

#11 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,313 Thanks
  • 982 posts

Posted July 19, 2016 - 10:41 PM

No Bolens here but I live in SE Idaho not too far from Smitty.

Mike

#12 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Western, WA here. JustinR who is another big Bolens collector is in Eastern, WA.

You are totally right. Bolens tractors and vintage OPE for that matter are a lot less plentiful on the west coast.

For fun, every now and then I do a Craigslist search in an area in the mid west or east coast and it's a night and day difference compared to the results that register in those areas vs here. It's not uncommon to see multiple models of the same tractor type listed at the same time in one county in these parts of the country; take your pick. Not to mention, prices are typically a lot lower too. A machine that you might see listed for $400 in NY would probably be listed for $800 or more here. The selection of anything Bolens related (or vintage OPE) is much slimmer on the west coast and is usually higher priced. While I don't have that large of a collection compared to some, a lot of my vintage OPE was shipped from places out of state because of these reasons.

Part of the reason why this may be is because the west coast is newer territory.

Edited by Austen, July 20, 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#13 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,212 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted July 20, 2016 - 08:52 PM

I do have a list of some of the dealers that was out west not as many out east but not to far off.   

The largest GT corrector in your area lives in salem.